Guzzi Performance ECU

When using the axone or ultimap diagnose system, there is an opportunity to read the software code from the ECU.

It would be worth to do this on different TI kit and stock ECUs for comparison.

Luhbo did a fantastic job of a comparison using Excel spreadsheets.

Here is the thread discussing that.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...&hl=tuneboy

There are some screenshots of some of the maps, but Luhbos complete analysis is required to really understand what the effective differences are.

You might PM Luhbo to see if he can email you the spreadsheets.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The instructions did say you'd need to balance throttle bodies... but that didn't seem to be necessary on my little ride last night.

It sounded sweet all the way through the range, and no hiccups anywhere.

:race:

Okay-

One week and a few hundred miles later...

I seem to be getting about the same mileage: +/- 32/mpg in mostly urban/suburban setting (no real rides into the twisties yet - that will be next weekend at the VA Rally: I'll be taking Skyline to get there, then a weekend of riding it along the Blue Ridge Parkway!).

I have noticed a bit of a pop on occasion at idle on initial throttle... just like she had too much gas and burped, but once that is cleared, no problems. It has only happened a couple of times.

There may be a bit of a flat spot between 4,200 and 5,000 but over 5,000 it really cranks up to the rev-limiter!

I'm not going to worry about the flat spot for now, nor will I worry about the burping since I have ordered a Mistral X-over from Greg Field at MI. Once I install that (and the center stand), there is a chance that other issues may present themselves, so I'd rather tackle it all at once, than perhaps have to do the troubleshooting twice.

:bier:

• 2 months later...

I have also been having problems with my Ti kit.

No power below 4K,back-firing,herky/jerky off-idle.

I checked TPS and set it to 525,put the stock ECU back in.Much smoother off-idle and below 4k,but still not enough power between 2-4k.Like a switch comes on at 4K and bike makes some usable power.

Also dont have any sticker on the Ti unit,a sharpie marking that looks like S7.

Does anyone have what they think is good power below 4K?

VA,

My kit included serveral hanger options, non of which included passenger peg mounts. I simply hung the cans on the sotck passenger peg hangers. No problem!

For me the race ECU actually worked pretty well. Eventually, I decided to go back to the stock ECU and added the PCIII and got a custom map at Ferracci's shop. I went back to the stock ECU in this case because I figured if I ever found cans that I like better that the TIs I can sell the entire Ti kit cans and ECU together.

Good luck with your install. Let us know how it goes and how you like the results. It's really pretty easy to do. the ECU is actually easier than the cans. Just be careful as you are removing those little screws from the ECU (and replacing them) that your wrench does not touch the battery terminals. I did this and it through quite a spark. I felt fortunate that it did not fry the ECU.

I touched the pos connector on the battery to the ground cable on the ECU and blew my starter solenoid. :homer:

Dis-connect the neg cable from the battery and then the pos lead.Then remove ECU.Install in the reverse order.

Folks, I don't own a v11 but have a Daytona RS running a Raceco Full System. I had a Creedon chip installed but a PCIII made a huge difference to the bike. Whatever an ECU & chip claim to do in terms of optimising power I don't believe its close to what a PCIII in unison will do. My RS, pre PCIII was producing 85bhp at the rear wheel and once the PCIII was installed and dialled in she was producing 106bhp. I trust the guy totally - known him for years and didn't even buy the PC from him so he had nothing to gain from massaging the figures. Runs like a dream now. Cheers.

Man, did this thread pop up at an opportune time.

I have reserved Sunday morning for putting on the Ti cans and ecu on my bike -- I am completely hamfisted, but have been assured by people with wrenching skills that I can do this myself... the concern is if something is "off" and I need to adjust valves or balance throttle bodies... that's definitely above my pay grade.

:(

I hope I have the same luck as grossohc!

:bike:

I bought my Tenni second-hand with 3000 miles on it so the chances are it hadn't been tampered with and was still at the factory settings.

I recently got a Titanium kit from e-bay with no instructions about TPS or valve adjustment so I just swapped everything. Fitting the ecu and cans took about an hour. The performance was very much improved right through the revs - it felt 'angry'. A week later I fitted a Mistral x-over which had the effect of smoothing everything out - less angry but still with loads of power everywhere. Delighted with the result and soon off to Italy on it for three weeks.

After reading these posts, I've got little worries planted in my mind which I think I'll try to ignore.

Maybe I'm just lucky and stupid.

My Ti story (not the drink with the umbrella):

The previous owner of my bike installed the Guzzi Ti exhaust & ECU. He wasn't happy with the dip in power that remained around 4k rpm so he installed a PCIII and had a custom map done. He was fairly happy with the results. I have the before & after dyno runs somewhere that show the mid range improvement with the PCIII. Peak hp stayed at about 80 rwhp. I had to manually tweak the map to get rid of some nasty pinging at 5k rpm.

I happily the rode bike like that for a year, then decided to take the next step and added a Ferracci xover and did the Art D airbox mod over the winter. I rode with the Ti ECU and existing custom map for a week and I thought the bike pulled harder than before all through the powerband, and especially at high rpms, but it was running a little lean (popping under decelleration), so I knew I had to address the lean situation. I couldn't find any PCIII maps for the Ti ECU with open airbox and aftermarket xover on the web, but there were some available from other forum members here that would work with the stock ECU and my mods so I went that route.

I installed the stock ECU and the downloaded map and the bike runs great! My seat of the pants says the stock ECU/new map pulls harder than ever from 3k to 4500 or so rpm, but I think the Ti ECU was still stronger above 5k. Since most of my riding is done below 5k rpm I'm happy with my current setup. If I decide to get another custom map done I might go back to the Ti ECU, but I'm pretty happy with what I have now so I don't think I want to spend the money for that.

:mg::thumbsup:

I think it has been about 3 months since I put on the Ti pipes and ECU, and about 3 weeks since I mounted the Mistral X-over.

Doesn't appear to have the flat spot in the 4,000 rpm range, and the acceleration from 4,500 rpm up to redline is amazing, with no apparent loss in low-end grunt - plus the bike sounds awesome in those high rpm passes.

I haven't experienced any popping on deceleration like I had with the OEM system, nor the gargling backfires that I had prior to putting on the Mistral X-over. I knock on wood and hope that is permanently fixed.

Finishing touches will be a PCIII (and possibly Racer-X's header down tubes) and getting the bike to someone with a dyno, but I likely won't do that until spring of next year.

:bike:

:mg: