Force Fed Jackal

badmotogoozer

Like a Kompressor Griso 8V. Yep, will be working on one, the minute I can get my hands on one. ;)

isn't kompressor basically german for supercharger? its wot I said. I hope you mass produce'em like clarkie and his tuono's :food:

isn't kompressor basically german for supercharger? its wot I said. I hope you mass produce'em like clarkie and his tuono's

It is... and I am seriously contemplating the concept, though along the lines of AMG for Mercedes. Upgraded everything; wheels, suspension, brakes, with even more options, etc.

Thing is, what would I sell, one or two? Price on the new one ain't gonna be cheap MSRP. Add all the goodies and I suspect it will push $25-30k USD to do one right, to retail. How many buyers are out there?

Guest jsavola

Go for it :) Supercharged guzzi sure kicks ass :)

I am the "jsavola" who owns the bike. The bike was charged couple of years ago, now 101 000 km on dial, of which 20 000 with the charger.

The engine has been taken apart couple of times. Normal wear, no major problems (save for couple of overheated and thus jammed and bent exh valves ...)

Last winter we made couple of modifications to the bike; dual plugs, enlarged exh channels (in the hope that it would help overheating problem), oversize exh valves (37->40mm dia), flattened orig pistons (comp ratio from 9.5:1 to 8.3:1) and we also raised the kompressor rotating speed. Now, when the engine revs 7500, the kompressor revs 14 000.

This spring was difficult, there were many minor issues which were sort of nasty. First, the Eaton M45 overheated and I had to disassemble and fix it (http://hogsden.dyndns.org/~jsavola/ahdin/brak/) . Then the air box gave up and needed to be partially remade. There was also some problems with fuel delivery and I had to change the TPS (295 euros for the guzzi part, 343 euros for the same part in Duc shop but 85 euros in HD-shop :). (random pictures: http://hogsden.dyndns.org/~jsavola/ahdin/spring-07/ (maybe I should really clean up the pic archives some day ... ))

I also had to change the fuel regulator, as the nominal pressure is 2.5 bar and mine gave 3.5 ... Now there is generic car part, and the original regulator is serving only as a connector (took away the internal O-ring). There was some crap inside the regulator.. During the process I learned that Guzzi TPS is nonlinear, whereas standard car parts have same lo and hi voltage, but are linear. You can deduce the rest ...

The original injectors were tested in a shop with satisfactory results. Cleaning did not change the performance, which was "OK".

The last couple of days I've been adjusting the additional injector computer. There seems to be no limit how much fuel the engine wants on full pressure :) I do have Lambda-sensor on cockpit giving some guidance.

Well, what to say ... All these modifications ... I think I know my bike inside out :)

Next steps are clear; I have already ordered MegaSquirt FI-system and will also install Ignitec ignition controller.

I can be reached at jsavola@iki.fi, as I do not read this board very often. That is, if someone has some questions rgd the bike :)

http://hogsden.dyndns.org/~jsavola/20070617/ has some recent photos. Sorry about the quality. Errr... Well. I don't care ;)

All the best,

MotoJussi & California K

Thing is, what would I sell, one or two? Price on the new one ain't gonna be cheap MSRP. Add all the goodies and I suspect it will push $25-30k USD to do one right, to retail. How many buyers are out there?

Only way to proceed would be to work some deal w/ MGNA [Piaggio] where you can get them at dealer cost, maybe w/ a discount as engined frames FOB Mandello? so that you're not paying for all the parts you'd be replacing. You think AMB pays list?

The way to sell the idea is as a "halo" model that makes all the other Guzzis that much more prestigious by its mere existence.

Once you can get the price down to the $25k range, mebbe line up a dozen pre-orders & proceed from there.

All I know is, I sure wouldn't want to be in your shoes, trying to get such a project off the ground! :grin:

• 3 months later...

As I mentioned, I really do not read this board too often.

Just a little update ... I had quite problematic summer. The newly installed TPS died almost instantly. Throttle valve axles had started leaking, and the pressurised air with gasoline leaked past the axles, filling the TPS with gasoline. Electro-mechanic part full of gasoline does not live a long and happy live...

Instead of trying to fix the axles I re-engineerd the whole thing: http://hogsden.dyndns.org/~jsavola/ahdin/imu/

The target is to have throttle(s) before the compressor and straight piping to the cylinder heads. FI shall be done with MegaSquirt 2.2 and one pair of injectors, 1 per cylinder.

The leaky throttle bodies shall perform well enough, as they will run "dry".

I took a test drive without MS, injecting just based on manifold pressure. Runs but not very comfortably. The test drive unfortunately ended when the blower died.

I verified with Eaton engineers that throttling before blower is ok (it is) so the the death of the blower was because of some other reason. So.

Now I'm trying to find another M45.

I rebuilt the bike as a free breather, and just came back from 100km test drive. Works but has no balls :I

All the best,

jsavola