Grease

Not to know what to do, I did take some pic’s of Guus in the garage.

He is waiting for the rear mono before riding again

Now one question, did some of you take this little bolts off and get some grease in the cush elements?

I have tried but unsuccessful.

...another pic for the record...

Yes, when I took mine apart, I greased all the cush elements and everything else that looked like it needed it in the wheel.

heat the bolts- they are soft metal (they strip out easily) and they may have some locktite on them.

Now one question, did some of you take this little bolts off and get some grease in the cush elements?

Yes I've done it, but it can be difficult to get apart I think.

There was quite a debate before about which parts to grease and which not. Some greasing has been done through a mis-reading / misunderstanding of what Dave R wrote in Guzziology. Anyway, I think it's a good idea to clean-up where possible and grease parts that are prone to rust. I drilled holes in some of the cush rubbers too.

Not to know what to do, I did take some pic's of Guus in the garage.

What was unsuccessful? Are the bolts too tight, or did you get them off but can't get the plate off? Or did you actually just not manage to grease them? :grin:

Most cheaper tools will just destory these soft bolts (and even worse for the brake disk bolts) long before loosening them. With the bolts out of the way I had no problems separating the plate from the hub.

Guest ratchethack

Antonio, there's a thread on this from a few years ago (see link below) with a raging argument questioning the wisdom of greasing the cush drive rubber blocks, and more importantly, the center steel collar. IMHO it's a good idea, as has been the practice and the recommendation of many of the Guzzi Pro's for decades.

Some astonishingly "spirited" discussion of this may be found here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...c=5323&hl=#

Those soft socket-head bolts that Jason mentioned are garbage. On top of being soft, they have some kind of horrific threadlocker on 'em that has the consistency of asphalt in Siberia in January. <_< I drove mine out with a chisel and replaced them with stainless socket-head bolts.

As BFG noted, Richardson says in Guzziology that it's been a common practice for decades to drill out the rubber blocks to provide more "give" to the cush drive. While few V11 riders seem inclined to do this kinda thing (present company including BFG and a few others excepted), I think it's still a good idea. I put three ~8 mm holes in each block, roughly equidistant, making the blocks like Swiss (not Dutch! ;) ) cheese. :cheese: This is not too much, I think it's about right. It loosens up the cush drive noticeably, gives the bike a smoother driveline action, and diminishes the shock of "driveline snatch". The holes will retain a little grease, releasing it over time.

There's a forged steel collar in there with webs that carry the blocks, with a helical groove machined in the center, obviously designed to carry grease. It comes DRY from Mandello. Mine had begun to rust substantially, and there was a considerable accumulation of rust built up in there by the time I opened it, migrating around and acting like grinding compound. It literally poured out. The rust had well begun opening up the inside diameter of the collar. <_< I used a phosphoric acid rust remover on the entire forged steel cush drive. Greasing this collar and LIGHTLY greasing the cush drive rubbers has long been a recommendation of Richardson and many other Pro's. I check it every other tire change. Too much grease, and your wheel will be wearing it first ride. :whistle:

Have fun! :luigi:

I cracked the soft socket head screws with vice grips first, to loosen them.

I also drilled the rubbers and only run with 6 {1/2} of them. for last 25000km. I had them apart the other day and gave them another lite grease.so far all is going well. :2c:

:bier: Mark