An odd electrical observation

dhansen

In the year now that I've had my '01 V11 I've had intermittent episodes of rough running at "neutral" throttle. Accelerate and it pulls smoothly and no unusual popping or backfiring on deceleration. When maintaining speed though, the bike will lurch and jerk to the point of distraction.

I most often ride during the day but last night I decided to go for a short blast up to town and back. Right away I realised the bike was in the lurch and jerk mode and as I contemplated the cause (TBs, temp sensor, cracks in intake boots?????) I also noticed my headlight was brighter than usual........ Huh? As I was trying to decide if I was imagining things the headlight snapped back to its usual whale oil lamp degree of illumination AND the engine immediately smoothed out. :huh2: What is going on here?

Could it be that the engine roughness is caused by higher than normal voltage from the regulator? Maybe the PCIII doesn't like high voltage? Since I've most often felt the rough running during the day I've had no way to relate it to an electrical issue. Maybe I should rig up a voltmeter to see whats going on in the electron department.

ANy thoughts or comments?

Tia, Dennis in Maine.

Could it be that the engine roughness is caused by higher than normal voltage from the regulator? Maybe the PCIII doesn't like high voltage? Since I've most often felt the rough running during the day I've had no way to relate it to an electrical issue. Maybe I should rig up a voltmeter to see whats going on in the electron department.

ANy thoughts or comments?

Tia, Dennis in Maine.

Interesting problem!

The first thing I would check is the Charging System Fuse (the 30A fuse) for signs of melting or corroding.

Hooking up a volt meter while riding is an excellent idea.

Checking the connections of the wiring coming out of the regulator would be a good idea.

If the problem is not high voltage related, the TPS and the Engine Position Sensor or maybe the cam chain tensioner seem like obvious potential culprits.

Could be relays, too. :oldgit:

If the problem is not high voltage related, the TPS and the Engine Position Sensor or maybe the cam chain tensioner seem like obvious potential culprits.

Could be relays, too. :oldgit:

I agree Dave, but the direct relationship between the headlight dimming and the engine going smooth was uncanny. Got to be related.

I agree Dave, but the direct relationship between the headlight dimming and the engine going smooth was uncanny. Got to be related.

OK, I'll buy it.

So if the relays for the headlight are wonky, that would not effect the engine running, although there is the chance the reference voltage could be getting messed up because of the relay being bad....but that is probably unlikely.

High voltage might effect the PCIII, the sensors, the injectors, the fuel pump, the coils, or the ECU.

I don't know which would get effected first, but that probably is not important, the charging system must be the problem.

I would check the 30A fuse before anything.

Hooking up a volt meter while riding is a good idea, but be sure that if you use alligator clips that the positive won't short out on anything.

Giving the charging system connections a good going over is always a good idea, and could save your regulator before it croaks.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the fuel pressure regulation.

Sorry if you are offended by hypothetical ideas.

I offer this possibility as food for thought because I think it would be HIGHLY unlikely.

If fuel pressure regulation is inconsistent you might not notice it while accelerating, but you would while cruising. This MIGHT have an effect on the load on the fuel pump, which POSSIBLY could cause lights to vary in intensity.

When lights dim, fuel pump has load, and bike runs nice and rich.

When light brighten, pressure regulator opens, fuel pump spins freely, and bike runs lean. Initially I would think this would cause deceleration problems, which you are not having, but because less fuel is metered when decelerating, and there is lots of increased intake manifold vacuum, there MAY be adequate fueling.

I have never experienced pressure regulator problems, so please defer to the more experienced. :oldgit:

Guest Nogbad

The charging system cares not a whit about the engine load, only rpm. Therefore, any electrical voltage tests you do with the bike on the stand safely helped by your wife are perfectly valid and there is no reason to attempt to "hook up" voltmeters for use whilst riding. Just my :2c:

IMHO clean the connectors, particularly the relay sockets.

I won't comment on the PCIII. I hate them anyway.

Hey Denis from Maine

Nige from Sydney here. Mate, my 01 Rosso Mandello does exactly the same thing. I havent noticed any difference in headlight output but the surging, stuttering and occasioanl popping I have had, got rid of and now have again !

As my other posts suggest (ref TPS failure) I recently had a TPS failure and replaced it butu the useless fuckers I took it to took 15 days to deliver a hoepless state of tune (watch this space for my outcome..)

In my experience this is a FI tuning issue. Ive had people tell me its this and that, tried them all and when someone who has an Axone and knows how to balance the injectors properly (aka Pete Roper), i get smooth running. Most of riding is commuting and thus trailing throttle or small throttle openings.

I know its curable, dont give up !

I won't comment on the PCIII. I hate them anyway.

It is easy enough to disconnect to eliminate as a cause (of course last time I suggested that, I started a good argument, so I was hesitant to comment...besides the symptoms seem more related to the charging system)

Clean the ground areas under the regulator where it bolts to the frame and then make sure that you bolt the regulator on very securely. Worth a try and costs next to nothing. Make sure the leads on the battery are clean and tight as well.

Carl's on to something. Sounds like the ground path is impaired and the system is routing groung through the headlamp. Also check and clean the ground strap to the gearcase.

Mine sputtered and surged under neutral throttle @ 35-3700rpm and popped and farted

on deceleration when I first got it.

One impatient evening before I was going to take it to my FI hip friends to sort it out

I ran it right @ the the problem revs and reached down and turned the "spigot" very incrimentally.

7 little tiny turns one way...no change...back to zero...then 3 or 4 turns the other way..better...

another couple little tweeks and it was running perfect. No surging..no popping and around

40 MPG with nice dark brown plugs for the last 25K mi.

It was just a matter of syncing the TBs under load.

I love that kinda stuff... :P