Clutch lever in... quiet. Clutch lever out... NOISY

RichPugh

Tis my first GUZZI and I am completely in the dark about what is characteristic and what is just not right about the bikes and what are just their qwirks. I bought it from the 2nd owner who, when he bought it at 1700 miles, swapped out the original clutch and flywheel for a low inertia RAM clutch and lightened flywheel (as well as a K&N filter, exhaust system and a PCIII).

Is it characteristic for the tranny to have such noise in neutral with the clutch out? Might it be because of the clutch setup in there? Some have told me it's not uncommon. Just asking here.

Is it characteristic for the tranny to have such noise in neutral with the clutch out? Might it be because of the clutch setup in there? Some have told me it's not uncommon. Just asking here.

Ditto for my V11 .... although my mate's Jackal is the other way round; noisy while riding, quiet in neutral.

Cheers

Cat

Guest ratchethack

Rich, one of the trade-off downsides (of which there are several, and fairly substantial at that) of running a lighter-than-stock clutch and flywheel ass'y on the V11 is that it allows for a variance in angular velocity within each revolution of the crank that the greater inertia of a flywheel with greater mass tends to smooth out. This means that drive and driven components in the clutch itself, the drive hub splines in the clutch, and even the transmission muffs, engagement dogs, gearsets, and driveshaft splines will make more racket and wear faster in gear at low RPM, doin' the low-mass cha-cha as the crank accelerates and decelerates in the course of every revolution. <_< The only way to minimize the effects and smooth this out is by raising the idle. If I were running a lightened flywheel and clutch ass'y, I'd have the idle no lower than about 1300 RPM, possibly higher. I'd expect this to quiet things down somewhat, and to also extend the service life of all the above.

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

ratchethack,

I hear ya loud and clear. I already raised the r's up to about 1100 at idle when warm since it was nearly stalling before under 1000. I'll set them a bit higher. It DOES quiet down a bit around 1500. Less chattering. Thanks.

Guest ratchethack

...bought it from the 2nd owner who, when he bought it at 1700 miles, swapped out the original clutch and flywheel for a low inertia RAM clutch and lightened flywheel...

Hey Rich -- Some recent blarney 'round the campfire over at WG might be of interest.

If I were you, I'd want to keep the likes o' this in mind down the road:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic...77506#msg177506

Now this is just me, and I seem to have a far more distant ownership time horizon that y'er average Forum member, but I'd see if I could find out wot happened to the original clutch and flywheel, and if possible, get ahold of it and keep it as a spare -- just for "insurance" purposes, y'unnerstand. . . It ain't doin' anybody any good not bolted to a Guzzi crank, and with only 1700 miles on it, it's more'n likely in new condition. . . ;)

BAA, TJM & YMMV

with only 1700 miles on it, it's more'n likely in new condition. . . ;)

uh seeing as a clutch should last 50-75,000 miles I hear, considerably less if you ride like heliJim :grin: , I bet the screen printed numbers are still visible on that clutch.

I'd see if I could find out wot happened to the original clutch and flywheel, and if possible, get ahold of it and keep it as a spare -- just for "insurance" purposes, y'unnerstand. . . It ain't doin' anybody any good not bolted to a Guzzi crank, and with only 1700 miles on it, it's more'n likely in new condition. . . ;)

BAA, TJM & YMMV

I have the clutch...

GuzziClutchWeb.jpg

Guest ratchethack

Outstanding, Rich. Now this is just me, but at the first sign of anything funny goin' on with the Ram clutch (anything at all), I'd have that original flywheel and clutch back in there PDQ. ;)

BAA, TJM & YMMV

Outstanding, Rich. Now this is just me, but at the first sign of anything funny goin' on with the Ram clutch (anything at all), I'd have that original flywheel and clutch back in there PDQ. ;)

BAA, TJM & YMMV

Well this is kinda why I started this thread... I was worried about the noisy gearbox. With the clutch lever pulled in, its lovely only hearing the tappy tappets but let that lever out and CHICKACHICKACHICKA.... noisy... It sounds acceptable but I have absolutelt nothing to compare to. I'd like to hear several other Guzzi gearboxes.

Well this is kinda why I started this thread... I was worried about the noisy gearbox. With the clutch lever pulled in, its lovely only hearing the tappy tappets but let that lever out and CHICKACHICKACHICKA.... noisy... It sounds acceptable but I have absolutelt nothing to compare to. I'd like to hear several other Guzzi gearboxes.

Does your idle increase with the clutch out? Picked up a friends '02 last night and noticed how it was less noisy than my stock '03. I put it in neutral when getting home to adjust the idle up, and the engine started racing (before adjusting)...pulled in clutch, revs back down... out, back up. Weird. Also, the engine makes more noise when clutch is out...tappy tappy. So different than mine...so I'm suspecting something is different or needs adjusting. Will try to find out if the clutch was swapped out by paperwork by the first owner. The second owner only put 500 miles on it and doesn't know much what the first owner did.

My clutch plates do rattle more than his for sure when the clutch is engaged, but everything is silenced when clutch is out and in neutral. My revs stay the same either way at 1100.

Rich, one of the trade-off downsides (of which there are several, and fairly substantial at that) of running a lighter-than-stock clutch and flywheel ass'y on the V11 is that it allows for a variance in angular velocity within each revolution of the crank that the greater inertia of a flywheel with greater mass tends to smooth out. This means that drive and driven components in the clutch itself, the drive hub splines in the clutch, and even the transmission muffs, engagement dogs, gearsets, and driveshaft splines will make more racket and wear faster in gear at low RPM, doin' the low-mass cha-cha as the crank accelerates and decelerates in the course of every revolution. <_ the only way to minimize effects and smooth this out is by raising idle. if i were running a lightened flywheel clutch ass have idle no lower than about rpm possibly higher. expect quiet things down somewhat also extend service life of all above.>

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

Hey, can I get that same explanation in Laymen's term.. Us kansas Folk are a simple people... :lol:

Just kidding. It took me a couple of reads to get it all taken in....

However, my answer to the original question would have been YES!

Richard Z.

Haha... he was saying, with less rotational mass, it WILL be noisier and wear more at low rpm or until the rotational mass gets above the speed to naturally balance itself out as a heavier clutch/flywheel does at a lower rpm.

It's not that the clutch/tranny is noisy RIDING, its noisy with the lever out, sitting still at idle or revving up. it doesnt SEEm to be as noisy riding but I'm also wearing a full faced helmet and hear wind and hear engine noise... so... I'd really like to hear another V11, at idle (about 1300rpm) w/ clutch out and then pull the clutch lever in and see how much goes away. I may ride down to Speeds Cycle (local Ducati/MotoGuzzi dealer) and see what they think.