Help with oil leak please!

Shawn Stepper

Can anyone tell me what is causing this leak? Right in the center of the photo, you can see a slow leak from that round thingy in the middle of the photo. This looks to me like the back side of the gear box, behind the starter motor. (I've never had one of these apart, so I'm not sure what I'm looking at).

IMG_0851.med.jpg

This doesn't look like a simple gasket issue, so I don't know what approach to take.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Shawn

Shawn

This seems to be an inserted steel plug. Dismount the cover, unplug it and reinstall it with a good sealer (green Loctite) after cleaning and ungreasing.

Guest ratchethack

I just took a gander at my trans. I've got a much slower "seep" at the same place. Not enough to even think about at this point.

Now this is just me, but in your case, here's where I'd consider a borderline bodge.

I'd do a thorough degreasing of the external area and bodge-on a fillet of sealant at the offending joint.

It's a low risk, low effort approach, with no downside. :huh2:

If it doesn't work, you can always get properly invested in the thing and do it up correctly as MGNX suggested. :luigi:

Guest ratchethack

Just an observation, but I don't b'lieve overfilling is the culprit here. The plug is about 3" above the trans lube level window on the other side. This would indicate that wot's seeping out (I assume it's more of a seep than a leak) is being thrown up on the inside of the box by the gear cluster, gradually making its way past the plug, collecting in the recess on the outside of the plug, then migrating down the outside. Wot appears on the floor is likely coming from wot's accumulated outside the case by the time it's parked. :huh2: