More V11s tach problems

emason

The original tach in my '00 V11 Sport lasted about 18 months. Now the second tach went dead. In the past two weeks I have been thru 3 more tachs. First one was DOA, second worked for 120 miles, third was DOA (dealer said it was a working tach).

I tried running separate ground wires from the housing and mounting posts. (The bottom mounting post broke loose and had to be JB Welded before I could install) but that didn't get it to work.

At this point I'm wondering if it's the tachs that are the problem. What can I check on the bike to see if the problem is there? Other than the tach, everything is running great.

I have 18,000-19,000 miles? on my 00 V11 Sport and have had no problems with my tach except for the faded out needle. My speedo on the other hand...... was just replaced and now shows 28 miles. :homer:

Mike

Mike, I am most interesed what were the symptoms of your speedo failure exactly. I think mine is going south - it seems the damping mechanism is inoperarive.

Warranty expires next month; got to act fast.

Janusz,

My speedo needle was jumping above 60 mph (20 mile an hour swings) for the last 5.000 miles and after the 45 degree speedo gear drive blew out and was replaced after a four month wait, my speedo needle still jumped. I replaced the cable and my problem still was there. The new speedo fixed the problem, the needle is dead steady! Now if only my transmission leak was fixed... :mg:

Mike

My Tach stopped working the other day until I shuffled the relays around and then it started working again. Could be a coincidence.

Also my tach needle flutters after riding for about an hour or so. ThermoElectric problem????

Put about 180 trouble free miles on the bike today....

The 'jumpy speedo needle' syndrome is often indicative of a binding speedo cable. Make sure there are no sharp bends (yeah, right) and that it's well lubricated.

I got this behaviour all the time on my old G5. I'd blow out cables every 4K miles, regular as clockwork. I couldn't find one long enough for the LAPD setup I had. After awhile, I just quit buying cables.

Now, it's starting on my V11 :bbblll: but I only have about 5 mph swings on it. Time for some preventative maintanence I guess. :luigi:

Cheers,

Jason