how much oil will it take?

Guest gooddog

Guest gooddog

So i changed the oil on my 02 lemans today. its been 2500 miles since the first service, and the wrench at Moto I had said to cycle some new oil in @ 3500 miles as it is still in break in. Any way, the oil lite had come on recently during heavy exceleration and the dipstick has been reading somewhat vague recently, so i figured that it could use a topper. i opened the drain bolt and pulled the dippper out as the manual stated. waited till it couldn't drain anymore out( with a warm engine by the way), then put the bolt back in, and filled it with the alotted 3.5 liters of mobile 1. i grabbed the drain pan and started to fill the empty quart containers back up, and noticed that i'd only gotten about a liter and a half out of this sucker. i didin't change the filter but it shouln't have held that much oil anyway. after checking the dipper now, i have over the max amount that i need. now what?

Drain it down to the correct marking.

Measure several times because if you do not insert the dipstick correctly, it will give a false reading.

Note that there are two drain plugs at the rear of the pan.

You should have used the lower more central drain plug to drain more oil out.

If you did not, that may indicate why so little oil drained out and why you are now overfilled.

It is good that you checked the level after filling!!!