Sudden death .... why????

slowkitty

Hiya .. had a strange experience on my Scura today ...

Rode it for about 20 km, in hot ambient temperature, when I approached a small junction, slowed down to about 20 km intending to stop. The bike just shut down, period. No lights, no engine. I pulled in the clutch and coasted over to the side of the road and there was nothing. Just Nothing.

I then turn off the ignition and then everything came back on. Started fine and I rode off.

What happened?

Cheers

Cat

Any relay that would cause the engine to die would not cause the lighting to go out and any relay that would cause the lighting to go out would not cause the engine to die. But the starter relay failing could cause the lights to go out and for the bike to not start.

My guess is a loose battery connection.

But I would still get the GEI relays from Pyro Dan.

Singapore is a long way off, so you might source the GEIs locally.

Also, if you rewire the headlights so that a direct line goes from battery to headlights through a pair of relays in the headlight shell, it will take a load off of the starter relay and then you would be fine without a GEI relay.

Guest Nogbad

1. Possibly a relay, or its associated connector under the seat.

2. Another connection, perhaps the ones near the steering head.

3. Sidestand switch / connector.

Definitely electrical. Go round the bike and look for loose connections, pull the relays, clean the pins and sockets. If you have Siemens relays replace them with the more robust alternative. There are plenty of threads about it on here if you search.