Stucchi crossover

zoltan c

I just picked up my Stucchi crossover for my 2001 V11 Sport and I was suprised to find that the quality of workmanship is not very high. This doesn't make since because everyone on this forum has said that the Stucchi is a real work of art. I either got a knock off or the quality has really gone downhill. I couldn't find any high resolution pictures of the Stucchi crossover, so if anyone has any I would like to compare.DSCF2509.jpg DSCF2511.jpg DSCF2515.jpg DSCF2512.jpg DSCF2513.jpg

I just picked up my Stucchi crossover for my 2001 V11 Sport and I was suprised to find that the quality of workmanship is not very high. This doesn't make since because everyone on this forum has said that the Stucchi is a real work of art. I either got a knock off or the quality has really gone downhill. I couldn't find any high resolution pictures of the Stucchi crossover, so if anyone has any I would like to compare.DSCF2509.jpg DSCF2511.jpg DSCF2515.jpg DSCF2512.jpg DSCF2513.jpg

Wow! Looks like someone had their MIG welder set up way wrong! Pretty U-gly, and no doubt about it! Since you have a 2001, do you have any need for the 2005+ oxy-sensor bung? If not, take it back to whoever you got it from & say "you ordered the wrong part" if they won't send it back on the simple basis of "it never should have left the apprentice' bench..." :huh2:

:mg:

I was hoping that it would be Tig welded and the pipes would be a brushed stainless look. I will check with Gord at Valley to see if all the ones they have received looked this way. When I got it yesterday I didn't even take it out of the plastic wrapper to have a close look, we were more concerned about not having the plug to put into the O2 sensor hole, since my bike doesn't have one. They are ordering me a plug, maybe I'll ask them to order another crossover as well.

That is definitely sloppy welding. Mine came with much better welding but did have the same dull (very dull) finish. My other problem was weld splatter in the threads of the O2 sensor fitting. I had to buy a thread cleaner to fix it up.

If you want to get it polished this winter let me know as it will clean up very nice and I have a friend who polished stainless.

PS Did you get my email? I have you on the SradaVarious list now!!

Cheers

Jim

If anyone is interested, this is what the Mistral looks like. Nice welds, quality pipe. I however also have the Lambda bung hole that required a 3/8 pipe thread plug.

Yep got it right, I am also a MISTRAL believer.

Once with fancy welding and I was left off while on tour with a broken crossover.

Changed to MISTRAL , better weldings.....

I have seen the enemy and that was sloppy welding :grin:

Guest ratchethack

Zoltan, FWIW, my Stucchi crossover has impeccable welds (and I'm a real stickler for quality welds).

Looks like they've juggled contractors to me. Most local muffler shops could do better than that. :bbblll:

Depending on your source, I'd consider sending it back with a request for a non-reject. :huh2:

That is definitely sloppy welding. Mine came with much better welding but did have the same dull (very dull) finish. My other problem was weld splatter in the threads of the O2 sensor fitting. I had to buy a thread cleaner to fix it up.

If you want to get it polished this winter let me know as it will clean up very nice and I have a friend who polished stainless.

PS Did you get my email? I have you on the SradaVarious list now!!

Cheers

Jim

I might have to clean this one up, but I'm hoping that Gord will get me another one with a better quality build.

I did get your email, but I still haven't been able to make it to any of the breakfasts or rides. Something has always come up. Both the kids were sick one month, and last week it was Canada Day and we took in the parade and other festivities with the family, including our new dog, Kozmo,DSCF2507.jpg we have had him for about 6 months. Needless to say that my projects such as working on the Cuda and the Guzzi always tend to go on the back burner. I have to act like a responsible Father sometimes.

Yep, it looks crummy to me too and you dont need that hole. On the other side, who in the heck will see those welds once its installed ? Also, after a bit of riding, youre gonna get road weathering and maybe a scuff or two on it anyway. In the past, the biggest question was whether it would fit and bolt up without contortions.

Guest ratchethack

LM, the appearance of a weld is not primarily a cosmetic consideration. A sloppy weld may join pieces of metal together, however poorly, but inconsistencies in penetration of the weld are built-in future fractures just waiting to happen. In the case of Zoltan's pipe above, I would be concerned about the high probability of cracks showing up over time. :bbblll:

I could grind out the welds and re-weld them and also I could weld up the o2 sensor hole, but why should I after spending $500 CAD on it?

Ratchethack is right about the quality of the weld may not be up to snuff. Not all quality looking welds are structurally sound, but most shitty looking welds are, well, just shitty! I have a welding ticket and I would be embarrassed to let something that look like that leave my workbench.

Guest rosso mandello

If anyone is interested, this is what the Mistral looks like. Nice welds, quality pipe. I however also have the Lambda bung hole that required a 3/8 pipe thread plug.

And here is some welding done on the MISTRAL, to get the extra 10 HP on top. Done i Denmark, local welder

nice and effective, just my style

ciao Mogens.

And here is some welding done on the MISTRAL, to get the extra 10 HP on top. Done i Denmark, local welder

nice and effective, just my style

ciao Mogens.

Is there an invisible pic posted here?

Not sure what to say, but I have a Stucchi x over on my LeMans and it is not as bad as that one. Mine doesn't have the O2 sensor bung, and the welds are much smoother. NTL, I would rate the quality as middle of the road. The Stainless is lesser quality, rough stuff, and the fit was a bugger to match everything up. It does what it is supposed to do though. No flat spot in mid range and lighter than stock. I have heard that the bends and welds vary and that you could lay out 6 of them and they would all be slightly different. Now that is hand made, old world craftsmanship at its finest!! :D

Andy