Tub-o-Ohlins?

Josh

FWIW, I gave the guy ["Mitch"] running this "auction"[1] a call at the number listed, and he seemed nice enough. He asked what I was trying to fit, I told him the dimensions I needed [2.25" I.D., 6" OAL, 525#/in to fit the stock Sachs boinger & replace the extensively discussed-upon & guesstimated-at here at v11LM 425# stock spring], & he said about the only part number he had that would work was the 1093-31/95. Mitch wasn't too certain what the exact conversion of 95 Newtons/mm would be, but thought it was close to 515#/in off the top of his head. When I looked up the conversion later on-line, my calcs come to 540#/in, which is still right in the ballpark as far as I'm concerned.[2]

Anyway, I risked the purchase, so I'll find out. If you're interested in a particular wt., give him a call quick, as he allowed that he didn't get very many of each, he just has a LOT of onesy-twosie part numbers.

Best o' luck, & thanks for the heads-up, Josh!

:mg:

[1] It's an auction style listing, but since the only option is "Buy it Now" @ a set price, it's not much of an auction! ;) I'm not complaining, the price is reasonable...

[2] FWIW, I'm weighing in at 225#+clothes these days, & figured anything in the range of 500-550 lbs/in would be an adequate spring upgrade for me; obviously, the heavy end would be better for riding two-up, the lighter end would be better for when I start getting some exercise again & drop back down to my 210 "healthy" wt.

:thumbsup:

Here are some shock spring part numbers and corresponding spring rate in lbs/inch:

1091-24 457#/in

1091-26 485

1091-29 514

1091-31 542

1091-34 571

1091-36 600

1091-39 628

1091-41 657

1091 is what the Guzzi Ohlins supposedly ship with.

Supposedly the following is correct, but it is odd that the part

numbers don't have a linear correspondence with the length.

from http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/tech/suspensionspring.php

Spring Length Chart

1093 - 150 mm - 5.9"

1091 - 160 mm - 6.3"

1092- 170 mm - 6.7"

All of the above are supposedly 57mm ID, but you should confirm with the seller.

EDIT Here are some numbers from http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111505

1095 is 180mm - 7.1" (which might fit if you can compress the spring)

1096 is 190mm - 7.5" (possibly too long)

1104 is 130mm - 5.12" (possibly too short)

I can say the 1091-29 spring on my Ohlins pegged my sag just about right for my 185 ponds in gear (29mm laden). Maybe a little too stiff for some.

So, Josh, you're respringing the Spot1100? Seems like that early White Power stuff is mighty good, but we've never talked sag numbers . . .

I can say the 1091-29 spring on my Ohlins pegged my sag just about right for my 185 ponds in gear (29mm laden). Maybe a little too stiff for some.

So, Josh, you're respringing the Spot1100? Seems like that early White Power stuff is mighty good, but we've never talked sag numbers . . .

Nope! It just seemed like a good deal and thought I'd let others know.

By the way, how are the new brakes and suspension working for you?

Hey, lets go for a ride sometime.

The suspension is amazing. Last week my wife decided to do a little 2-up riding with me :o . Cranked up the preload and was really impressed with the Sport's composure ( and her's, too).

Haven't had the chance to install the brakes yet. I'm still looking for Nose2wind's Sport to make an honest bike out of my Guzzi. It wasn't a month since they were in the garage together and now this: :P

IMG_3816.jpg

So I take it this number for the non-Ohlins V11's? 1093-31/95, and 95 is the spring rate in Newtons? So you get the 1093-31 spring with the correct wieght for you? How do you figure out the spring rate for a 160lb person?

So I take it this number for the non-Ohlins V11's? 1093-31/95, and 95 is the spring rate in Newtons? So you get the 1093-31 spring with the correct wieght for you? How do you figure out the spring rate for a 160lb person?

Spring rate is a personal choice and often requires experimentation.

If you have Ohlins now, you are probably sprung correctly.

Measuring sag gives a good clue. There are many schools of thought on what correct sag should be.

Assuming you have a Sachs shock,

I am not sure 57mm ID matches the Sachs shock, but if it does, then you could try any of these springs and end up better than you were with the Sachs.

1091-26 485

1091-29 514

1092-26 485

1092-29 514

1093-26 485

1093-29 514

I think one of the 485# springs would be ideal for you.

But if you are very aggressive on nasty roads or ride two up frequently, the 514lb spring might be a better choice.

your right, 57mm does seem extremely large especially considering the fork tube diameter is 54mm (just happen to know that for the aftermarket bars I had ordered). Not sure what the inside diameter would be, may have to wait until I get home, but a 57mm ID would make for an extremely large fork tube(s).

Just remembered, my bike is getting serviced. Does someone with a sachs fork want to do me a favor and measure the ID of a fork tube, if its not too much trouble(could probably get away with measuring the diameter of preload/rebound cap)?

your right, 57mm does seem extremely large especially considering the fork tube diameter is 54mm (just happen to know that for the aftermarket bars I had ordered). Not sure what the inside diameter would be, may have to wait until I get home, but a 57mm ID would make for an extremely large fork tube(s).

Just remembered, my bike is getting serviced. Does someone with a sachs fork want to do me a favor and measure the ID of a fork tube, if its not too much trouble(could probably get away with measuring the diameter of preload/rebound cap)?

Cognitive dissonance- :huh2:

The Tub-o-Ohlins springs are for coil-over (rear) shocks, not fork springs [inside the fork tubes.] Are we on different pages?

Guest ratchethack

Cognitive dissonance- :huh2:

The Tub-o-Ohlins springs are for coil-over (rear) shocks, not fork springs [inside the fork tubes.] Are we on different pages?

Where's B.F. Skinner when you really need the guy? :huh2:

"Cognitive psychology, poppycock on stilts." (A paraphrase of Jeremy Bentham on Natural rights). ;)

Leave us see if we might throw some cognitive consonance on all that cognitive dissonance. :grin:

FWIW, from a previous post, the stock Sachs spring measures 2.232" (57 mm) ID, and 3.090" (79 mm) OD.

That's not accounting for paint. ;)

WS, If you're looking for some fork measurements (the front forks are by marzocchi), here are some numbers based on the early 40mm forks ( I don't know if the later forks were any different on the inside):

Fork Woes thread