More Electrical Gremlins - 00- V11 Sport

jsciullo

Sounds like Im not the only one. First off, all relays have been replaced Bousch- new battery replaced two months ago after old battery appeared not to be able to hold a charge.

Here is my latest like of issue:

- tried to start the bike after it sat for about 6 weeks- all lights on, FI on but hit the starter made the rat-tat-tat sounds like the battery was dead. Didnt have time to look at battery - put it on the Battery Tender - started perfect next day.

- Rode around the next day - slow speeds, many bumps on dirt roads- hit the starter button and got the rat-tat-tat sound and then it started. Got gas latter that afternoon and bike started right up.

- Last night went to start it no dash light, tack was dead, and now no headlamp but the bike started.

- turned it off and on again - all dash lights except tach & headlamp - started fine.

- turned it off and on again - all dash lights - tack flicked off & on and so did headlamp.

- Went to the relays pushed them around a bit - all lights worked bike started fine, tack worked fine, headlight fine....

Something is amiss. I cant keep stopping and pushing relays around or if I hit a bump the tach and headlamp quit working. I have noticed that the out of the 5 relays only two are screwed into metal bracket - the others just float around. Could these come loose. Might I have a bad ground, alternater or regular (since my battery sometimes seems to be the culprit - I'll chekc that tonight). I love this bike - but like other things I love (wife & kids) - Im ready to shoot it. :)

Jim

Seems like connection or grounding issues or a barely adequate battery. I think I'd go through everything and use dielectric grease on all the terminals. :homer::mg::luigi:

Guest jeremy

sounds like grounding issues to me to but since it is affecting more than one area just clean and retighten the battery terminals first, this may cure it. Then clean the connections at the starter.

cheers

I put dielectric grease wherever I can find a fitting.

Battery connectors.

ground wire on ECU.

ECU connector.

Relays.

Fuses.

If you take the fuel tank off, you will get access to more wire harnass connectors.

Also reach under the relays and push up on the wires going into the relay connectors.

It is possible that there are loose wires there.

Thanks all. It may be a grounding issue after al. I noticed that one of the bolts that holds the battery tray is covered with a white plastic powder. Im not sure if this is the battery ground - but if it is Im in trouble. Im going to clean it all up and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Jim

White powder? Tweekers suck! Assuming it is not cocaine, it probably only indicates the failure of the last battery.

I don't know where the main grounds are.

The wiring diagram appears to show that the two main grounds are along a line running from the battery to the voltage regulator.

The parts catalog image of the wire harnass shows one ground line that looks like it is designed to ground somewhere near the top of the transmission.If it grounds to the engine you may want to add a ground to the frame. If it grounds to the frame you may want to add a ground to the engine.

The more grounds that you add the better.

But do not discount the connectors, fuse blocks and relays as possible culprits.

There are grounds running through the wire harnasses that are connected under the tank. So pull the tank and silicone lube the connections. Pulling the tank may also give you better access to the voltage regulator and other connections and grounds.

(And it may be a good time to replace the fuel and or air filter)