Stolen (?) BMWs in UK

Whatever happened to the BMWs that washed ashore in Devon after falling off the Napoli? After the initial headlines and film of local townfolk lugging off the spoils of shipwreck, the story dropped off the US radar screen. Just curious.............................

Can't imagine a greater way to reply to the good old question......."Where did you get it?" :bier:

I read somewhere that according to old laws the one who finds that kind of goods is the legal owner. I have no idea if that is really true though. I think I read somewhere else that all that drifting containers would be owned by the Queen :P

Guest redguzziv10

I read somewhere that according to old laws the one who finds that kind of goods is the legal owner. I have no idea if that is really true though. I think I read somewhere else that all that drifting containers would be owned by the Queen :P

this may not be 100% correct, but i think the law is - anything that is washed ashore can be claimed, as long as the Official Receiver of Wrecks is informed of the find. This is to determine the final extent of the salvage rights.

Anything "still out there" becomes property of the realm, or in the event of an insurance claim, property of the insurance company.

The funniest thing i heard about that Boscombe Bay fiasco was the couple who had driven from Liverpool to collect the packets of dog food - that'll be about £60 of petrol used to "claim" some water damaged dog food.

All this comes from my daughter, who lives nearby. She said the police had the beach pretty much sealed tight by the time of the second high tide.

Rumours of the BMW's being thrown back in are yet to be verified :D

Guest Buddy

I live just a few miles along the coast from Branscombe, where the Napoli is still aground. (They are trying to tow the bow section away in the next few days). the story locally is that most of the "finders" of the bikes recorded their find and are hoping for salvage/reward once the claims are sorted. So much of it was recorded by local people on cameras that I think the "finders" of the bikes had been clearly identified.

Shame really, as I quite liked the rapid response by the locals when they heard what had happened - very resourceful.

As for the stories about the Liverpudlians and the dog food - we have a saying here in Devon "Only two things come from the North. . . Cold winds and caravans" At the moment we have both - where is the summer? :(

If any of you are down this way the A3052 from Exeter to Bridport goes past Branscombe and is a great V11 road. Stop on the Cobb at Lyme for a pint or at West Bay near Bridport for Breakfast

I live just a few miles along the coast from Branscombe, where the Napoli is still aground. (They are trying to tow the bow section away in the next few days). the story locally is that most of the "finders" of the bikes recorded their find and are hoping for salvage/reward once the claims are sorted. So much of it was recorded by local people on cameras that I think the "finders" of the bikes had been clearly identified.

Shame really, as I quite liked the rapid response by the locals when they heard what had happened - very resourceful.

As for the stories about the Liverpudlians and the dog food - we have a saying here in Devon "Only two things come from the North. . . Cold winds and caravans" At the moment we have both - where is the summer? :(

If any of you are down this way the A3052 from Exeter to Bridport goes past Branscombe and is a great V11 road. Stop on the Cobb at Lyme for a pint or at West Bay near Bridport for Breakfast

Thanks for the firsthand report Buddy. I hope someone ends up keeping one of them, even if it isn't totally legal. That bike would become a real Legend. (Hmmm, didn't BMW already use that name)?

One of these days I'm coming over to drink some real beer. Even though I've brewed upwards of 300,000 gallons myself as the brewmaster of a "local" here in the USA. We used a Peter Austin System and top fermented with Ringwood yeast. Damn, I'm gettin thirsty..................... :bier:

seadog.jpg

Guest Buddy

The saga of the MS Napoli continues. It's back is broken in such a way that though they refloated it, they had to beach it again. They are now tring to "help" remove the front half, from just ahead of the bridge superstructure. The help is by means of a monster tug, literally trying to pull the front off and a series of demolition charges to try to blow apart those parts that still hold it together. Two attempts so far with the explosives! It is a very big ship, I think about 65,000 tonnes.

As for the BMWs - anyone taking a GS to a dealer with corroded fateners will be viewed with suspicion I would imagine.

As for the beer - every part of Britain believes it has the best local breweries, but we do have some great ones in Devon. I sampled a few US Micro brewery ales when my son spent a year in Boulder at the University of Colorado. Good beer, but in general much stronger than those normally brewed over here. We tend to have summer and winter ales, with the summer ones being lighter, often less 4%

So picture the scene, a thatched roof country pub, the V11 parked out front ticking away as it cools down and a pint of Exmoor Gold! Life doesn't get much better! Mind you, Maine, a V11 and a pint of Sea Dog would be a strong contender. :):)

Life doesn't get much better! Mind you, Maine, a V11 and a pint of Sea Dog would be a strong contender. :):)

I'm making do with Maine for now quite well, thanks. Unfortunately, the Sea Dog as an independent brewery no longer exists. The A$$hole owner ran it into the ground. I left before the walls caved in. It is now owned by the Shipyard Brewing Company and all of the Sea Dog beer is made by them. We did some really great stuff over the years including the full spectrum of English ales and Continental lagers. I had more fun and worked harder at that brewery than anything else I've done in my life.

There are still some great beers being made in Maine. Gotta organize a ride around Maine with stops for beer. Just got to figure out a way to do it safely. Don't get me going on drunks................

Guest Buddy

All the information I have about Maine is that it is a fantastic place. Sadly I have never visited.

Beer and bikes (or cars) don't go together, but you can always ride to some great places; stop for the night and sample the local ale. Sorry to hear about the your brewery. Anyone who runs any brewery into the ground has to be an a$$hole!

They had another go with the explosives on the Napoli last night, but still can't finally break it in two!

I'll keep you posted. :):)

Guest Buddy

Well, at the third attempt the salvage experts have managed to seperate the bow and stern of the MS Napoli. The plan is to tow the bow section away but then to dismantle the stern on site at Branscombe.

Very spectacular pictures on the TV and the explosion was clearly heard at my house about 7 miles down the coast.

Well, at the third attempt the salvage experts have managed to seperate the bow and stern of the MS Napoli. The plan is to tow the bow section away but then to dismantle the stern on site at Branscombe.

Very spectacular pictures on the TV and the explosion was clearly heard at my house about 7 miles down the coast.

so...unlikely to ever sail again huh.....they gonna carry the stern piecemeal up the cliff path!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm I would check Ebay in the UK for various new bmw motorcycle parts lol. I'll bet the police are watching ebay as well :grin: How many of the bikes actually were there to be had anyway??

There's an offence of "Theft by Finding". It's covered by the Theft Act. Basically, stuff that's found, it it can reasonably be expected to have an owner, should be reported to the authorities. There is, however, a caveat if the items are not claimed by their rightful owners within a prescribed timescale.