Pipe Dreams

Guest V11RossoNigel

Guest V11RossoNigel

Right then straight to the point, which are the best exhausts cans to fit, all road seem to lead to mistral with the x pipe, would this be the best option, both to free up the breathing, and will it make my V11 sound like it looks. If anyone has any figures it would be interesting, and do I need to piddle about with the ECU to accomodate any pipe changes.

look forward to your comments.

cheers

Nigel :notworthy:

Right then straight to the point, which are the best exhausts cans to fit, all road seem to lead to mistral with the x pipe, would this be the best option, both to free up the breathing, and will it make my V11 sound like it looks. If anyone has any figures it would be interesting, and do I need to piddle about with the ECU to accomodate any pipe changes.

look forward to your comments.

cheers

Nigel :notworthy:

Well, let's see- first, I don't think there is a definitive 'best exhaust' option. There are a lot of good choices though. Maybe (and I'm not sure) the Guzzi Ti pipes with a new computer would be one of the better options since they are optimized for each other.

Check this FAQ:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=501

You'll probably want to open up the intake as well. Best two choices are K&N (or similar) directly on the intake runners or remove the lid on the airbox and run that.

I put Mistral pipes, Stucchi crossover on my bike with K&N pods and I haven't felt the need to run a PCIII, although others report success with one. I just richened the mixture a bit and it seems to run just fine.

I usually recommend piddling. Piddling is fun.

With the Guzzi (Mistral) carbon cans and K&N in the stock airbox I didn't have to change anything with the ECU.

jrt, you richened the mixture by . . . changing TPS settings?

Guest V11RossoNigel

Thanks for your help Guys, looks like I'll try the Mistral K and N plus cross over pipe richen up a touch and of course must not forget a little piddling about just to fine fettle. :luigi:

cheers

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

I put the Guzzi Titanium exhaust on mine.. It made the bike feel much more responsive literally like it could breathe. The sound is awesome, like a blown small block chevy but with that Italian Je ne sai quoi. They come with the new computer so I didnt need a Power commander or anything.. I notice after they get hot (which takes a while titanium cools pretty quick, I can touch it within 5 mins of a heated ride) the sound opens up even more. I new I loved this bike, but with these cans Ill own it forever...

With the Guzzi (Mistral) carbon cans and K&N in the stock airbox I didn't have to change anything with the ECU.

jrt, you richened the mixture by . . . changing TPS settings?

Yes, but i don't remember by how much- maybe only 10 mV or so. I still get upper 30's/low 40's for mileage, which is what I got before.

I should check the miles/gallon again- I haven't done that in a couple of years. Sadly, though, I don't think I've put 1000 miles on the bike this year....

, and do I need to piddle about with the ECU to accomodate any pipe changes.

Piddling may not be absolutely necessary, but I think it is a good idea, and FUN too!

If you price is no object, get both direct link and motorbike diagnostics from techno research.

TuneBoy MIGHT be cheaper, but is only in endless purgatory beta, I use it and it is great!

Power Commanders are easier and will satisfy all but the most obsessed or demanding.

Running the TPS a little high :rasta: might be enough, and won't cost money.

Stucchi crossovers, that Jason mentioned, are one of the best bangs for the buck for mid-range power....don't know why I don't have one? :huh2: I guess it is because I keep waiting for a QuatD with stereo outlets.

The Open Airbox mod is the cheapest bang for the buck, and it will give you a real raw sound that will suck the eardrums away from your brain.