Shot down in flames

Alex-Corsa

The event

Yes , it happen even in the best families :doh:

Happened to my Corsa yesterday as I was on highway with 110mph sudenlly fire popped out under the instruments . Flames were dancing up to the yokes plate.c029.gif

Emegrency switch to off and as bike dives a bit to the right, here comes a "train truck" which is avoided I pull out and the bike is still smoking. Yes she prooved to me she is SO HOT. But WTF it was the voltage regulator that was smoking. Was a bit upset but as well thinking of it was so funny as well to me.

The fix

Unpluged it went to the electric workshop and tried to find a new one to fix it. To make the long story short and after searching around this city doing 150km with a terrible AX1 I substituted it with one of the 916.( pricey though)

Fitted to the bike as it has 2 yellow wires though that double cable was missing.And the red jack was there though

The problem

Well the only "problem" is that now I get the battery lamp on all the time.

Though I have measured it and it at 3.4,5K rpm the voltage is at 14V at the battery,

Question

Should I worry? I mean I think it is charging and it works right.

:bier:

Any clues would be appreciated.

Already ordered one same as before .

It could be a wiring logic difference between the two regulators??? :huh2:

How did you match the wires?

Assuming wiring matched up fine, I think you may have toasted something.

The most obvious things to look at are the relays and fuses.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/sch...Sport_1100i.gif

As far as the wiring goes everything is connected OK, I went to my electric Guzzisti workshop and he done it for me.There was only one 2xcable jack missing the one marked with red in the photo.

8e_1reg2OK.jpg

Be sure to get a Class B and C extinguisher :P

The white wire should have connected to a green wire and the black(or is it black and white?) wire to a red and black wire(assuming Carl's diagram matches your bike.)

Note his diagram does not cover the black and white wires, but the black is supposed to go to the lighting wiring and I believe is required for voltage feedback, but I could be wrong, and it also goes to one side of the charging warning lamp.

The white wire is supposed to go to the other side of the charging warning lamp.

Be sure that you are not overcharging. If over 14.6V you have got a problem.

Keep in mind you may have also damaged your battery.

Does anyone know if the black wire is required for voltage regulation?

FWIW here is how I hooked up my Electrex regulator that has the white wire but not the black wire, so the black wire just gets capped off. In your case they probably capped off the red and black wire, but if they capped off the green wire that could explain the problem

My charging warning light works fine.

esr510installplanb3rw.gif

Alex, make some space under the seat for special tools... :D

I'd rather piss on it if it does this to me other time. :thumbsup:

Does your new regulator look like the one in the photo you posted or like this

147_Pic.JPG

Yep , that's very same , except on cable endings but , well that's what it looks like , bingo. :thumbsup:

Now tell me what kind of trouble should I wait for. :grin:

:drink:

I have ordered also one like the photo I posted which is exact the same as before.

I believe the missing wire is the one which the ECU reads the voltage. Without it the bike thinks there is no charging, hence the voltage light stays on.

Couldn't you hook this wire to the harness or battery where it is hot and get a reading which turns the light out?

I believe the missing wire is the one which the ECU reads the voltage. Without it the bike thinks there is no charging, hence the voltage light stays on.

Couldn't you hook this wire to the harness or battery where it is hot and get a reading which turns the light out?

Nice clue, though it seems it is charging.I have made a 100mile trip and the bike is still moving. :grin::lol:

Sooner or latter the original substitute will be on my door and I will put it on.

I'd rather piss on it if it does this to me other time. :thumbsup:

Yep , that's very same , except on cable endings but , well that's what it looks like , bingo. :thumbsup:

Now tell me what kind of trouble should I wait for. :grin:

:drink:

I have ordered also one like the photo I posted which is exact the same as before.

I suspect it was wired wrong.

If not, you may find out when you put the correct Ducati one in.

Do check fuses and wiring for signs of melting and bad connections

On the supertwin i have the same regulator coming from Ducati since the first day my supertwin is riding with the 4v engine.

Absolutely no problem except in my case the lamp is always off :grin:

So i ride the bike with since end of july 2002 :homer:

Houch, my bikes already have 5 years old :oldgit:

On the supertwin i have the same regulator coming from Ducati since the first day my supertwin is riding with the 4v engine.

Absolutely no problem except in my case the lamp is always off :grin:

So i ride the bike with since end of july 2002 :homer:

Houch, my bikes already have 5 years old :oldgit:

Hallo Jean, there is always a strange phenomenon going on with these two: Italian and Electrics :grin:

The lamp is going on and off now (seems the rectifier is getting used to do it's new place.)

Dave, I am going to check these darn fuses as well :luigi:

About this parts bought from Ducati dealer, there are several different wireloop adaptator, i think i have the one for Ducati 888.

So charging lamp is always off, but it is not a trouble, because i have all information on the MotoSpezial unit. :bike:

About this parts bought from Ducati dealer, there are several different wireloop adaptator, i think i have the one for Ducati 888.

So charging lamp is always off, but it is not a trouble, because i have all information on the MotoSpezial unit. :bike:

This moto Spezialunit , have heared so many about it, is it really worth the "hassle" (if any) intaling it to the bike? WHat will I gain ,what will I loose?

:bier:

With a quite stock bike i don't think you have a real gain, pershaps a weight gain on your wallet :rasta:

If you are like paul B) a poser, the gain could be an esthetical one :grin:

i get the MS unit because :

1 i need space to put the battery somewhere on the front of the bike and it was the only way to get enough place

2 i have a 1225 cc dynotec i want to tune and manage the injection settings myself