Oil & Filter Changes

jsciullo

Im going to do my first oil & filter change on the V11 Sport. Did them before on mY Cal Special but this bike is a bit different. After I disconnect the two oil lines comming into the rear of the oil pan, do I just unscrew the remaining underside bolts so the pan "falls" off. Once the pan is off - is it easy to remove the filter. I dont have the special Guzzi filter wrench - I have an all purpose filter wrench from Sears that works fine with the Cal Spec. When I reattach the oil pan - are there are special gaskets/crush washers, etc... that I should look for on the two oil lines. I do have extra pan gaskets. If Im missing a step or missed gotchas - let me know.

Thanks,

Jim

If you are dropping the oil pan, you don't need any *special* filter wrench - the filter will be readily accessable when the pan is off. The only time you need to Guzzi filter wrench (or something similar) is when you are removing the filther without dropping the pan (via the small round access "cap" - for lack of a better term).

Also, I've said this before, but I'll say it again:

Anyone dropping the oil pan on a Guzzi should do themselves a favor and get a Torq-It:

torq.jpg

Takes about 2 seconds to remove each screw with this thing! Definitely one of my favorite tools.

Can be bought at various locations, but I know Franz @ Spare Parts in Philly has them - 215-922-2214. No affiliation - just a happy customer. :luigi:

I'd like to add my two cents here as well for the Torq-It tool. It's great! Makes me wonder why it wasn't invented years ago! ^_^

Well made and a good value for the money spent. I've had mine a couple years now. It gets used alot! My son has one now too. Darn good tool!

"Another happy customer!"

I won a Torq-it at a Guzzi rally. Love it. You see it advertised in the Guzzi newsletter.

Moto Guzzi makes a combination tool for removing the "cap" and the filter. Kind of pricey but available at your friendly Guzzi dealer. I changed my bike over to a Mobil 1 filter M1-102 because I already had the socket ($5.00) for the filter. The filter socket is available at any auto parts store. I remove the "cap" by using a metric hex nut (18mm, I think) and a crescent wrench.