hard cold srart

Guest motomentel

Guest motomentel

HI it takes about three one secound trys with the starter and the inrichment lever down to start when cold then once starterd it is fine .My ? is this normal? B)

Guest ratchethack

Just my opinion, but one three-second try works far better than three one-second tries. I don't think I'd ever get started at all with one-second tries. I usually open the throttle about 1/8 past the limit of the throttle advance (it's not an enrichment lever).

Works like a Champ. ;)

Hope this helps.

Mine is a bit cranky in the morning as well. Like Ratchet, I give it about an 1/8th of available travel on the throttle advance, leave the twist grip alone, and crank for about 3 seconds at a time. Usually starts on the third try or so.

:2c:

Just my opinion, but one three-second try works far better than three one-second tries. I don't think I'd ever get started at all with one-second tries. I usually open the throttle about 1/8 past the limit of the throttle advance (it's not an enrichment lever).

Works like a Champ. ;)

Hope this helps.

Here too is the same. ;)

Guest ratchethack

I see that I was not clear (post #2). My apologies. What I meant was that I first pull the throttle advance full down, then open the twist grip throttle another 1/8 turn or so past the extent of the lever advance. This generally starts it first time within 3 sec of cranking every time. Then I immediately drop RPMs to 1300 and allow it to warm up for 30 sec or so. The RPMs will climb, so I back 'em down to 1300 again (repeat). Within a minute or 2, I'm off, GENTLY allowing her to come to life at low throttle for many miles before opening 'er up. ;)

Per Motoman :notworthy: , one of the most common, yet MOST DAMAGING things riders do, is to pour on the coal before they're warmed-up. <_<

Q&A #1 from Motoman's site:

Q: What is the most common cause of engine problems ???

A: Failure to:

Warm the engine up completely before running it hard !!!

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

NOTE: I have my throttle advance adjusted (adjustment screw under throttle body facing downward) so that the wheel on the advance cam just spins free of the cam with the throttle closed. This gives the throttle advance lever its maximum amount of throttle advance. Also -- Got the seat/advance springs switched so that the setting stays where it's put also, per the famous Skeeve Spring Switcheroo mod. :thumbsup:

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

I thought that the ecu needs to see several revolutions in the start cycle before it is ready to light off the engine. I use the several seconds of cranking method and don't use the quasi-choke. It only cracks the throttle a bit, like a fast idle. I just increase the throttle until it catches and then back off a bit for the warm up.

Wick