melting fuse

huub

Help,

After starting the engine of my v11 sport several times and using the throttle to warm the bike up, the fuse (F3, of the battery recharger) melts, but doesn't fail. The fuse still works, but looks very crumpled.

I've the bike just a few days. Anyone an idea? Is it the voltage regulator? Or just bad contacts?

Huub

Help,

After starting the engine of my v11 sport several times and using the throttle to warm the bike up, the fuse (F3, of the battery recharger) melts, but doesn't fail. The fuse still works, but looks very crumpled.

I've the bike just a few days. Anyone an idea? Is it the voltage regulator? Or just bad contacts?

Huub

Welcome to the forum!

It is a bit of a chicken or the egg question as to what is the cause.

I think it could be either or both or something else.

Start by checking voltage output.

You will need a voltage meter to test the regulator.

Measure voltage at battery.

Measure voltage difference between regulator and battery.(I am not sure what is acceptible, but 1V or more is surely a bad connection)

Problem could also be battery.

Here are workshop manuals with voltage specs, etc.

ttp://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/print/print_moto_guzzi_misc_workshop_manuals.htm

If the voltage is too high the battery and wires may cook.

If battery or wires are cooked, it may cook the regulator.

Checking voltages is a good idea, but it is the connections in the fuse block that melts the 30 amp fuse.

Here is the thread that shows the discussion, the pics, and the fix: Blowing Fuses

Keep the smoke in the wires! :rasta:

Thx a lot! When I read this, I think I have to clean the fuse-block. Or better, install a new fuse-holder for the 30A fuse.

I'll let you all know if that's working!

Huub

PS: check www.guzziside.com

Dave, I think to spare money and to not waste time is better to advise this rookie to change his regulator.

It's always a good move to make.

I have bought a regulator on eBay from this guy in the US "johnrayski"

Have fun on the forum...

You may be right, but according to Docc "the fix" is in the fuse connection.

I think I was wrong to indicate it is a chicken or the egg problem as the bad connection seems to more likely be the seed of evil than the regulator.

My guess is that the bad connection melts the fuse, possibly damages the fuse socket, and MAY damage the regulator too.

But lost riding time is money, and so is a tow truck, so a new regulator might not be a bad idea.

But we can help our rookie through the diagnosis.

I like the idea of testing voltage drop before and after cleaning the fuse connection or bypassing the fuse socket with an inline fuse, as it might give a clear idea, of whether or not "the fix" worked.

Also, if the voltage is out of range after "the fix" it will be a clear that the regulator needs replacing.

True, my Sport needed a regulator about the same time the fuse showed up melted, but that was obvious since the running voltage would not exceed the battery voltage. As a guideline the battery voltage should be 12.7-12.8 vDC while the running (charging) voltage ought to be 13.5-14.5 vDC.

Huub, have you had the chance for a voltage check?

True, my Sport needed a regulator about the same time the fuse showed up melted, but that was obvious since the running voltage would not exceed the battery voltage. As a guideline the battery voltage should be 12.7-12.8 vDC while the running (charging) voltage ought to be 13.5-14.5 vDC.

Huub, have you had the chance for a voltage check?

And just to be clear, the battery voltage of 12.7-12.8V will be higher immediately after charging or riding, so check it after a night of sitting.

The charging voltage should be 14.0-14.5 vDC between 3000 and 8000 rpm with the stock regulator. Some of the aftermarket regulators may read a bit lower. And the voltage at idle and just above idle will be below 14.0V.

I think mine drops below 13V at idle and my maximum Voltage is only 13.9V...I hope that is normal for my electrex regulator. It seems to charge the battery well if I ride two or more times per week.

Thx for your reactions,

I will first try the new fuse-holder, I've already bought one.

The regulator seems to load, in the short time that I could test it with my multimeter (before my fuse was melting). I will certanly do more tests when I have the new fuse-holder installed.

I'm certainly a rookie on this site, but not that new with Guzzi's. I ride a le mans II too, and before the VII sport I had also a sp1000 (with a sidecar). So I know a little bit about the electric of Guzzi's... java script:emoticon(':(',%20'smid_4')

I hoped the V11 sport was a bit more reliable, but there are many, many items on electric on this forum... java script:emoticon(':huh2:',%20'smid_23')

I shall report my results!

Huub

check: www.guzziside.com

I installed the new fuseholder for the 30 A fuse, and I think the problem is solved. My battery is charging well, so I think I can do without a new regulator. I didn't go for a testdrive yet, because I dont have the registration of the bike fixed. I imported the bike from another country, so I have to do some paperwork first. But thank you all for helping.

I also have a mechanical guestion about the rear transmission, but I shall open a new topic for it.

Huub

check out: www.guzziside.com

Héy Huub. I see now you leave in Holland.

I do leave in Barneveld. We can hook up sometime. Or maybe bakkie doen bij Jaap.

Mazzel

Yep, we can. But first I have to arrange the administration of the bike and do some things at the RDW. Because I bought the bike in Belgium.

Huub

• 2 weeks later...

Friday I had my first ride on the Guzzi! No melting fuse anymore! :)

:angry: but I still had to walk for half I mile...grrr. Back home I changed the rely of the fuel pump and yes... the v11 was running again. I was lucky that I had ordered some from Dan. So the bosch relay is now changed by the chinese one from Dan and I ordered a couple more. You will never know....

My first ride Friday was to the RDW in Zwolle, to get the bike inspected for registration in Holland. The guy there asked if I had painted it green myself, because he had never seen that color! :notworthy:

But then he did the most important thing he had to do: to decide that the bike was ok for road use in the Netherlands. So in a few days they will send me the papers. B) (Of course only after I had payed the taxes (BPM) for importing the bike from Belgium). :bbblll:

So, let's buy some exhaust pipes now that are a bit more noisy and... ride!

Huub