How do you like living in Hawaii??

Hi all

I know there must be some people living in Hawaii that can tell me how they like it. I know there are people who love it, and people who hate it. I'd like to get any opinions from Guzzi riders, as there is a better chance we'd see things in a like manner.

A new job posting is coming up for an on-site office in Pearl Harbor. The thought is intriguing, it may be a nice way to spend the last few years until retirement.

Thanks

Joe

Hi all

I know there must be some people living in Hawaii that can tell me how they like it. I know there are people who love it, and people who hate it. I'd like to get any opinions from Guzzi riders, as there is a better chance we'd see things in a like manner.

A new job posting is coming up for an on-site office in Pearl Harbor. The thought is intriguing, it may be a nice way to spend the last few years until retirement.

Thanks

Joe

Well, I've spoken w/ several people who've lived there, & they all say the same thing: either you go nuts from claustrophobia [even the Big Island is easily circumnavigated by vehicle in a day], or you don't. Everyone who does, leaves and everyone who doesn't stays.

As one of the few states w/ firearms ownership laws even more restrictive than CA's, HI is not on my shortlist of places to move to, altho' a vacation home there would be nice.

If you can work there for a few years & still leave your mainland home in mothballs to come back to [or similar], that might be a fun adventure. But everyone I've known who's had to sell off everything to move either to or from has said it's a real pain.

Best o' luck!

:sun:

Guest ratchethack

At one point, I recall that Tom of HI posted with a tag line that would seem appropriate for any Guzzista on Hawaii:

"OK, which way do we ride today?" :homer:

I'd add one more:

"Who took my bottle of Naval Jelly Rust Remover?" :homer:

My only experience with this would be from a couple vacations there.

My opinion would be like Skeeve's- it's such a small island (even the big island), that I would go crazy if I lived there. The gun laws don't bother me.

On the other hand, it would be great to live there for two or five years and come back to some open road. I'd learn how to surf (again) and the water is great.

I wouldn't take my bikes- buy a cheap enduro once you're there.

I wonder how much work I'd actually get done? :drink:

Not sure if my input would be helpfull. I've been to the islands maybe 25 times since 1982. My old employer owned property on Oahu, at the Ilikai Hotel, just west of Ft. Derusey, west of Waikiki. They also had property in South Kehei on Maui. I had basically free board there any time. I took advantage of it. I know the isle of Maui better than my home town. I know Oahu fairly well. Kaui and the big isle less so.

Honolulu is basically a big city in the tropics. With all it's troubles and crowds, and traffic, and rush hours. That said, you can ride all year, you could get in a bad habit of not wearing AGATT [all the gear all the time], no helmets etc. Problem is, once you've ridden all over the island, after say a month, you've literally ridden every road there is, you end up riding less.

I don't think at this stage in my life I could live on an island, I'd go crazy. I live in the second biggest country on earth. I'd have trouble. I guess you could test yourself, by not leaving your current area where you live, stay within a 25 mile circle, for eveything you do. Even riding!! See of you can do it. If you can, you're a good candidate.

Ciao, Steve

I lived on Oahu for a couple years. I think more than anything it depends on the type of rider you are. If you are the "in the wind" or "knock out a few hundred every weekend" kind of rider, you are going to go crazy after a short period. If you are like me, basically a bike is my everyday transportation, then you'll probably love it. Getting around on a bike is much easier, although Honolulu has really gotten out of control with traffic. I always found new roads and new places to go, but I really like NOT having to fight for parking spots and such, and cutting down alleys etc. A bike just made getting around a lot easier.

Now having said that, the claustrophobia is a completely different issue and very individual. The more active you are, the less you notice you are on an island.

Bottom line is the only way to find out if you can live there, is to live there. No shortcut to that. It's not just another state. It's a different culture, different lifestyle. For me, I frankly can't handle the weather. I don't do "the sun" for the most part. Not 365 days a year anyway. I like seasons. December to May I was ok, June to November I was miserable.