Making a cushion

belfastguzzi

I'd like to accent my bike's seating area through the use of artfully placed cushions. I don't want anything sloppy, so what's the best material combo for the job? Nice bit of chintz, maybe calico, stuffed with horsehair, feathers, or some grade of polyester, maybe even rubber?

Any point in putting in holes, so the water drains through?

The relevant chapter in Gosh!ology seems to refer to grease, but I find that misleading. I really can't see how that stuff could be useful. It's probably meant to be a reference to geese.

zipped-cushion2.jpg

PS when trolling through haberdashery, I found a friend who says she'll help me with the sewing:

griso_101.jpg

She looks quite dexterous.

:whistle: Uh-oh...is Kevin H gonna be pissed!

No, no. It's ok.

It's a twin sister thing.

Actually, I think she said triplets. There's one more out there somewhere.

Guest Nogbad

BFG, you are too old for her.

Forget the cushion, just rely on a nice thick incontinence pad inside your leathers. Problem solved (both of them)

I'd like to accent my bike's seating area through the use of artfully placed cushions. I don't want anything sloppy, so what's the best material combo for the job? Nice bit of chintz, maybe calico, stuffed with horsehair, feathers, or some grade of polyester, maybe even rubber?

Urethane foam will hold up well.

Latex is no doubt cushy, but will deteriorate too quickly.

Drill lots of holes in you cushion and "your ass will thank you"

But buy a Rich Maund seat and your ass won't be lying when it thanks you.

If you can find sheep's wool, you will be very well off, and your monkey butt will be cured as Ratchet's was cured.

But real man just lay a quarter inch of neoprene over fiberglass

I went shopping for wool and foam and the foam expert recommended foam carpet padding because of its firmness.

I'll have to give it a try if I can't find any sheep to shear.

Maybe I just grow a long beard and shear it off? :oldgit:

I went shopping for wool and foam and the foam expert recommended foam carpet padding because of its firmness.

Yep, they call it "rebond" 'cause it's made from chopped up random bits of old foam [well, new remainders from standard single-density foam production.]

Nifty website on redoing the seat on a Kawi Ninja 250? I book marked ages ago advises the heaviest rebond commonly available [5#]; I think the rebond "weights" are simply thickness, so 5# means fewer layers to build up to full seat height.

Still haven't done more than simple experiments w/ seats on my old GL1200 & SV650; creating a new cover to match resculpted foam is presently beyond my abilities...

In all, I think Rich Maund will eventually see the color of my money [as soon as I have some, that is!] ;)

:mg:

Urethane foam

Latex

buy a Rich Maund seat

sheep's wool

shopping for wool and foam

foam carpet padding

sheep

Now look here D.L.

If I'd wanted an answer like that, I'd have posted in Tech Topics, or perhaps the Tenni Forum.

Now look here D.L.

If I'd wanted an answer like that, I'd have posted in Tech Topics, or perhaps the Tenni Forum.

It is not what you want that you get. It is what you don't get that you want.

If you had posted in the Tenni Forum you would have gotten green suede.

If you had posted in Techtopia I would have suggested the drilled holes would have had spline shavings precisely embedded into seat using helicopter technology with silicone damping and a urethane sheathing.

24/7 V11 encompasses anything related to the V11, short of banter.

I suspect you should have posted this in the banter forum.

Perhaps you could request that a moderator move it and will happily retract my posts.

BTW your clock is set to Bahia time....WTF :huh2:

It is not what you want that you get. It is what you don't get that you want.

If you had posted in the Tenni Forum you would have gotten green suede.

If you had posted in Techtopia I would have suggested the drilled holes would have had spline shavings precisely embedded into seat using helicopter technology with silicone damping and a urethane sheathing.

24/7 V11 encompasses anything related to the V11, short of banter.

I suspect you should have posted this in the banter forum.

Perhaps you could request that a moderator move it and will happily retract my posts.

BTW your clock is set to Bahia time....WTF :huh2:

I'm reassured by your reply that I posted in the correct place.

Cushion making is not a subject of banter.

BTW My clock is precisely set to local time, unless somehow some sort of internet trickery means that it displays differently in different locations. I hope that is not the case, otherwise the work of the great longitude engineers was for nothing.

Regarding the Guzzi Wedge Conundrum: I have been investigating the acoustic properties of hole placement. No one has mentioned this business yet. Odd?

Hole displacement following what is known as the Greg Field Pattern is unsettling for the more conservative – as we saw in certain reactionary posts. It has acoustic merit though, compared to the conventional, careful, centrehole drilling.

basseps_lg.jpg

Fine, but let's consider the more technologically sophisticated 'wave' cutout. Improved acoustics AND, I would think, NICE CUSH! Improved squish too. No one has mentioned this. Odd?

wave_lg.jpg

Do you think that these holes could be modeled from urethane?

How many would it take to fill the Albert Hall?

Do you think that these holes could be modeled from urethane?

How many would it take to fill the Albert Hall?

I suppose one could make holes, mushrooms and flying saucers out of urethane, but I don't want to discuss this as before you know it it could turn into a thread about the queen taking out princess Di because the Princess Di knew all about the Global Warming Fraud Conspiracy of the Queen and Al Gore and how BP was gonna make BILLIONS off of solar panels :rasta:

The official opening ceremony of the Royal Albert Hall was on 29 March 1871. After a welcoming speech by Edward, the Prince of Wales, Queen Victoria was too overcome to speak, so the Prince had to announce that "The Queen declares this Hall is now open". A concert followed, when the Hall's acoustic problems became immediately apparent. These were not properly tackled until 1969 when a series of large fibreglass acoustic diffusing discs (commonly referred to as "mushrooms" or "flying saucers") were installed in the roof to cut down the notorious echo. It used to be said that the hall was the only place where a British composer could be sure of hearing his work twice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Albert_Hall