Test drove a Norge yesterday!

WitchCityBallabio

While dropping my BillyBob off for some work (right side porkchop, oil change, and speedo cable) while waiting for my ride home, took a Norge for a nice test ride.

My initial impressions were that the bike was not very powerful (in the Guzzi sense), but what I found is that the bike is so well sorted, quiet, balanced, that you don't realize you're riding it as fast as you are. I wouldn't say it's as quick as the BillyBob, but it does what it's supposed to do and quite civilly. The power delivery was very linear and to me, the bike felt lighter than the Ballabio, and again, I find the Ballabio to handle very well. When I jumped on it a bit, that Guzzi sound finally gets through and you remember that your driving the venerable Guzzi V.

I played around with the windshield a bit and found that with a little adjustment I could virtually eliminate all wind blast and most of its associated noise. I would imagine this would be fabulous in the cooler months. The transmission definitely shifted a bit smoother than the Ballabio's. Not a great deal better, but just a bit. I find the Ballabio pretty good. I also found the shaft effect almost completely eliminated. The fuel injection seemed a bit smoother as well.

The instrument panel was excellent. Very visible with perhaps too much information. :P I left the ABS on, and stood on the brakes a couple of times to check them out and was pretty surprised to find that it was completely seamless. No different feeling really than well applied regular brakes, but with the benefit (especially on a rainy day I'm thinking) of not being able to over brake.

The fit and finish on the bike was fantastic. I found the seat to be very comfortable, even though the riding position was a bit foreign feeling. I found that my legs felt too far forward. I'm sure I could get used to it (especially touring) and the handlebar position was excellent. I found the pegs to be a bit annoying. I tend to drive on the balls of my feet on the pegs, and this is just impossible on the Norge. In fact, I found anything but flat footed and pretty far toward the heel was the only way to put your foot. I also made contact with the panel directly behind the peg, which I found, tended to put my foot at an odd angle. After talking with the dealer, apparently it is a complaint that they've heard before. He stated that there were already a couple of companies making different pegs for the Norge and looking at it, it looks like it would be easy to find any number of pegs that could be used. Again, the pegs are probably something that could be gotten used to, but they felt a bit odd to me.

The hard luggage looked great, very integrated and pretty large. They looked like they would swallow a ton of gear. The bike I drove lacked the trunk case. I would imagine for the passenger, it would add even more comfort to an already comfortable bike.

My overall impression was that it was a very well sorted bike, perfect as a Sport Tourer, beautiful to look at, fun to drive. It may have been a little too refined to my taste, but overall, a fantastic bike. I'm not sure I would trade the Ballabio in for it, but it might make a nice stablemate. :D

FYI, Seacost Motorsports is bringing the Norge and probably some other bikes to the IMOC on September 9th. If you haven't had an opportunity to drive the Norge, that may be a nice opportunity.

At the Italian Day in Amsterdam, I must drive (must drive a girl around for her first trip on a bike (big tits, small brain)) a Breva, which is almost comparable with the Norge.

I’ll make a long story short, what a shitty bike! :vomit:

No power, no sound, no soul, no character, no Moto Guzzi.

In fact if I didn’t know it was a Moto Guzzi, I would believe it was a bike in general.

Early in the noon I have heard from Jaap the 1200sport is a hell of a bike, but this Breva is almost the same as the 1200sport.

I think I have to start make an evaluation about what to buy after the V11….

It wouldn’t be easy, I know this already.

I would agree Antonio.

All the things that make the Breva a disappointment, contribute favorably to a bike designed for distance touring. The Norge also is a bit soul-less but as a touring mount, I think it would be very comfortable and infinitely sportier than the competition that it is aimed at....namely the BMW R1200RT, which honestly is a fairly soul-less boring bike (as far as sportiness goes) as well.

I am hoping the 1200 Sport makes it here to the U.S. and specifically the version with the high performance kit and pipes. I think then we'll get to see what the new generation of the Guzzi's will be like.

Let's face it, it's a new era for Guzzi. Aprilia parts and most likely designs, Piago input and money. It was bound to change the character of the bikes a bit.

This is the bike I really want to drive before I pass final judgement on the newest generation Guzzi's.

20.jpg

At the Italian Day in Amsterdam, I must drive (must drive a girl around for her first trip on a bike (big tits, small brain)) a Breva, which is almost comparable with the Norge.

I’ll make a long story short, what a shitty bike! :vomit:

No power, no sound, no soul, no character, no Moto Guzzi.

In fact if I didn’t know it was a Moto Guzzi, I would believe it was a bike in general.

Early in the noon I have heard from Jaap the 1200sport is a hell of a bike, but this Breva is almost the same as the 1200sport.

I think I have to start make an evaluation about what to buy after the V11….

It wouldn’t be easy, I know this already.

I see you have to stay with the v11 forever Antonio. In some time a 4v engine in it from a wrecked 4v griso/stelvio.

Don't say it once again Paul, 'cos I will do it!

In fact I have opted for a new engine under the V11. A crashed centauro.

The costs, about 3500,- Euro. I only have to bring the bike in Germany and a few weeks later get it back.

:P::mg:

After that I would have a 4v engine, with the V11 advantages (Ohlins, frame, etc.)

If you want a sports bike wait for the Griso 4 valve. The current version is a great machine, sporty powerful and with the Mistral exhaust....well you know what I mean! This is a bike with Guzzi soul.

If you want a sports bike wait for the Griso 4 valve. The current version is a great machine, sporty powerful and with the Mistral exhaust....well you know what I mean! This is a bike with Guzzi soul.

"Griso" and "sports bike" in the same sentence...

Is a bike with a 61.2-inch wheelbase a sportsbike ???

I doubt you have read my test result about the Griso.

Not even positive over that bike. I saw it as a Garelli with a couple of muscles.

City bike. No wonder if the 850 would be the next lady bike of Moto Guzzi.

No offence to nobody guys!!!

BTW I would expect the 1200sport with 4v… :P:

I really enjoyed the griso, stance was sporting and it felt as nimble as my RC. You can can run them over on the edge and use all the tire. I also felt the Showa suspension was excellent every bit as good as the Ohlins. With some more grunt it could be a real performer. What is a sports model? Something with a little flyscreen around the headlight?

I must say, I agree with Antonio, the V11 is a motorcycle with soul. I have driven Breva 1100, Griso 1100 and sport 1200(which is a Breva). As I understand the Breva has soft block engine mountings and a longer gearing, neither the Breva or the 1200 sport is a bit sporty.

The Griso on the other hand feels more sporty and is wery fun to drive, thou it still miss on the soul of the V11 models. But if the Griso comes with Öhlins, more horsepower, shorter wheelbase, other design and other paintings...than maybee....

Mario

Don't say it once again Paul, 'cos I will do it!

In fact I have opted for a new engine under the V11. A crashed centauro.

The costs, about 3500,- Euro. I only have to bring the bike in Germany and a few weeks later get it back.

:P::mg:

After that I would have a 4v engine, with the V11 advantages (Ohlins, frame, etc.)

Sounds like a great idea Antonio- will you get the motor bored out to 1225cc by Dynotec?

antonio, for 3500 you can buy a complete centauro, rip what you need, and keep the rest. we can make a deal.

What deal are you talking about?

If I buy it for that money, the engine still not mounted yet. Not very lucrative to me. Maybe for you :moon:

And yes Guy, it will be a engine bored up to that much. I dunno exactly how many cc it will be, but bored, fasty cammes, carillo pieces, etc. :mg:

FWIW, I don't think anyone that buys a Norge is buying it because they're looking for a sport bike. Although most of my Guzzis are gone from the stable now, I retain my Sport 1100i as the counterpoint to my Norge. All I have to do is get it running again, and at the moment I'm about 1/3 of the way into the timing cover on the way to replacing the timing chain tensioner. I'd be done, but I've misplaced my 13mm hex bit. It's in the garage somewhere, I just know it is. I just haven't found it yet. After I've changed the chain tensioner, I'm hoping for a very much improved idle etc. If that works okay, I'll probably be swapping out the wiring harness and ECU for ones off of a V11 Sport.