Did a kill switch ever save your butt?

raz

Did a kill switch ever save your butt  

21 members have voted

1. 1. because you couldn't reach the key

• yes it did
    • no, never
    • nothing but trouble

This is a variant of the other kill switch poll. How many of you have actually had emergency use of the kill switch (on any bike)? Note that a throttle hang at 0 mph and neutral gear does not count, only dangerous situations where you managed to get control over the situation using the kill switch, and where you probably had not got away with it using the key.

No but the kill switch caused me to fall off.

My tank bag when full can move forward just enough to brush against the kill switch on full lock. This is a right royal pain, but normally only comes in to effect when pushing the bike backwards in to the shed at work or doing a "U" turn if I've made a navigational error - this obviously is a very rare occurrence <_>

On the way to the ERIN rally in Ireland in 05 whilst boarding the ferry was directed to the far side of the deck. So was conducting a slow speed feet up "S" turn across the slope of the deck and the bag nudged the switch enough to make the contact to cut the ignition. I went down instantly. Only damage sustained was a small crack to the fairing blade, the front indicator lens knocked off and the spark plug cap driven on to the plug. Serious damage was prevented by my panniers and leg. A bit of duct tape to hold the lens on and liberal application of anti - inflammatory Guinness and I was able to hobble about for 3 days when not riding.

I would consider retro fitting the on top rocker switch as fitted to the earlier V11 than the later push switch.

No but the kill switch caused me to fall off.

Ah, that would have been an interesting second question, "Has the kill switch caused you trouble"... I seem unable to edit the poll now. I'm sure this would get much more votes than "yes, it saved my butt".

I don't know how much it saved because it worked... When dirt biking in the Canadian Rockies we used to fall off quite a bit. Falling onto the right side often left the throttle buried in mud or dirt and quite inaccessible until the bike was moved. A partially opened throttle could have been a disaster if there was no kill switch. I must admit that this was in the days before rev-limiters....

Was passing a camper in Colorado on a '85 ZX900. Twisty road, really no where to pass, and it was cold. Short straight, Wide Open- blast pass the camper. About 80mph. Kool. Close the throttle to hall it down to about 45 for the right hand turn coming up. OHHH SHITT!!!!!Yep, carbs iced up WFO!!! Probably could have reached for the key, but coming up to a turn going way way to fast I was really glad I could keep both hands on the bars and just use my thumb to flick the switch. One hand was holding in the clutch in the other was slowing me down. Just made the turn by using the run-off on the outside of the far lane. It was only about a 50 foot drop down to a river. Luckly no one was coming the other direction.

This is a variant of the other kill switch poll. How many of you have actually had emergency use of the kill switch (on any bike)? Note that a throttle hang at 0 mph and neutral gear does not count, only dangerous situations where you managed to get control over the situation using the kill switch, and where you probably had not got away with it using the key.

Raz, I've tried to make reaching for the kill switch a "grooved" action just in case I ever need to do it quickly. Haven't had the need for it yet, but a throttle stuck wide open seems like one of those situations where mind can freeze and things begin to go badly very quickly, so I'm hoping I've grooved the action sufficiently for it to be a natural response. IMHO all you can do is try to get out ahead of the game a little, and hope you never face a situation requiring more than you ever learned - or more accurately, more than you can remember. Good poll.

On an MX bike there is no key so you must use the kill switch. I had a few stuck throttles on dirt bikes in my younger days so I'm quite sure it saved my butt a few times. I also clearly remember one kill switch NOT working with a stuck throttle at high rpm even though it worked at lower rpms. I had to pull in the clutch, lock the rear brake and dump the clutch to stall the bike that time... :o

Ah, that would have been an interesting second question, "Has the kill switch caused you trouble"... I seem unable to edit the poll now. I'm sure this would get much more votes than "yes, it saved my butt".

went ahead and took care of that for ya, but it did save my butt once when my throttle stuck open on the goose, I mean I wasn't in any real danger as it was stuck as a slow pace so I was lucky but grease up those TB connector rods. :luigi:

Thanks Ben, gone and cast my secret ballot.

Had to have them fitted on the trials bike and they've been useful, but as far as road bikes grief either as above or someones pushed it and you've not realised and your bike won't start and the crowd is getting bigger.