Sidestand cutout switch

Ballabio Bertie

Good Lord!

O.K. I got nothing out of this really. don't remove the switch... remove the switch... WD40... not WD40... and a whole lot of uptight humanity polluting my peace search.

I AM interested in this, I'm going on a trip.

So, Somewhere between Green Bay and Iron River my switch takes a dump and I'm stranded unless I do something.

Do I pull out and connect the wires together (like complete path?) or do I not (open circuit?) ??????

I challenge anyone to tell me in less than four words and go on to other posts in the forum.

complete the path.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mattress

Dlang,

you my friend have won a delicious hand made Pasty from the Upper Peninsular of the most beautiful state I know.

Guest ratchethack

Hey Mattress. This sounds like a great trip. Coupla things from a 24-year resident of wot you rightfully refer to as one of the most beautiful states in the Union: :sun:

1. You oughta know beforehand that some o' the "Yoopers" (aka Michiganders of the Upper Penninsula -- a bit of a "unique" sort) don't take kindly to malaprops like "Upper Penninsular". With locals, it'd tend to put you on the "outs" before you get in, so to speak. :whistle:

2. It's a tremendous place to travel though on vacation, but I'm here to tell you from first-hand experience that this time o' the year the temps and humidity both go well above 90 at the same time, and it can be a KILLER (literally). Take lots of water and be VERY careful about dehydration on the road. It can creep up on you.

3. May I suggest Tahquamenon Falls State Park as a major point of interest:

http://www.exploringthenorth.com/tahqua/tahqua.html

4. The best news about the timing of your trip is that you're well past the infamous Ontario Black Fly Season. Don't ask. <_< By personal experience, it's gotta be the closest there is to hell on earth, and by some accounts, far worse... :whistle:

5. If you have any opportunity in terms of time, Macinac Island is one of the handful of places on the planet that I consider truly "magical" and you'd never forget it, though no Guzzi's (or cars) are allowed. ;)

Have a great trip, my friend. :thumbsup:

Guest Mattress

I agree with all you are saying!

I was raised since 9 months old in S.W. MI through high school. Than mid-michigan and finally a wonderful, fantastic time period of 5 years at Michigan Tech (Houghton-Hancock area for others).

I got all technical with "upper pennisular" label to cover the broad audience.

If all goes well, I hope to leave as early Friday as possible. My worst obstacle is Chicago traffic on a holiday weekend. Literally hours longer for same difference. Main reason why I have seen my MI family less this year than when I was in Germany.

I have absolutely no vacation days and begged for a personal day on Friday.

A little concerned about 471 miles. Doing it in 2 days one way would not be great because I'm headed to a weekend long reunioun at Tech and I need to be back in the office Tuesday. I'd like to do more than show up say hi and leave.

Guest ratchethack

I was raised since 9 months old in S.W. MI through high school. Than mid-michigan and finally a wonderful, fantastic time period of 5 years at Michigan Tech (Houghton-Hancock area for others).

OMG! In this case, you're no doubt more'n qualified to tell ME a few stories about Ontario Black Fly Season. I have a cousin who was cap'n of the Mich Tech ski team. He said that Native American legend has it that when it gets REAL BAD, moose have been seen "flying" off into the distance to be devoured, carried by swarms of the little flying maggots. It's been said that when the misery of fighting them off reaches a certain point, humans give up the will to live in sheer desperation -- and it doesn't take long. That's when they seem to disappear without a trace. . . :homer:

Watch out for your WORST enemy on this trip, my friend -- that o' course, would be the doofus at the wheel of the motorhome/camper/SUV barrelling down the road with a map spread across his steering wheel and a cell phone in one ear. :whistle:

Good luck and by all means, post some photo's when you get back. :sun:

Guest Mattress

Yes. The Black Fly is the worst biting insect I have encountered. Not only are they impossible to keep off you, the bites are weirdly painless at first and the blood surprisingly more than one would think would leak out. As if they have surgical grade razor blade mandibles. But then the bites itch incredibly.

I'll take your words of wisdom about the ride. Thats a bit why I posted. In this case I have no clear message inside me, only a see saw between the therapy of riding (esp if Stucchi cross over installed tonight and no breakdowns) which I sorely need to lift me out of the funk; and back to the list of reasons why it might not be prudent.

Too many people on the road

Will have to slab blast it most of the way

Not been in saddle recently

Didn't acquire the riding gear I wanted to help (airhawk seat pad, no time now for custom work; cooling vest or shirt i've read about). My full riding gear is road rashed in a couple spots. It needs replacing but not bad enough damage to not go on one trip. Compromised jacket area better than no jacket.

Yes. I now take seriously the role of comfort in safety. If you remember my post months ago, the heat on the day I crashed last year was definitely a factor. And hours of a voice shouting in my head "your arse is falling off" is also no good.