Eklind hex keys

Skeeve

On a multitude of occasions, the advice to 'get a quality set of hex wrenches' for use w/ the apparently :cheese: Guzzi hex socket screws has come up.

Enco has Eklind brand 9pc metric sets on sale this month for about $6/set.

I've never heard of this brand, I'm certain that it's superior to the P.O.S. "Chicago" hardware from Harbor Freight, but is it truly of Scandinavian quality, or is it just more of the same far east dreck being sold under a fancy name? In short, is the Bondhus set worth the $3 premium over the Eklind, or is the Eklind set a reasonable price/performance option? :luigi:

I need your :2c: please!

TIA

Guest ratchethack

Skeeve, as you may've gathered, I'm a stickler on high-grade allens! I selected Bondhus' 8-piece long-handle set and have been very pleased. They hold their shape even with lots of repetition on hardened socket-head bolts. Balking at a "$3 premium?!" My friend, a good set o' any kind of tools is a joy forever!! :thumbsup:

Good luck, my friend!

BTW - Bondhus® tools are *Gorilla Proof*, you know. ;)

Seriously, I will vouch for the quality of the steel, also the coating used on them, described here:

http://www.bondhus.com

Don't miss the retail outlet locator on the main page.

My friend, a good set o' any kind of tools is a joy forever!! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I know. That's why I want to know if the Eklinds are good. 'Cause a good set of tools is a joy forever, but a functionally identical good set of tools and $3 is a joy forever & a cup o' Starbucks...

:grin:

Ride on!

:bike:

PS: I don't actually drink coffee, let alone waste $3 on a $.50 cup o' joe, so let's just say that it's "...a joy forever and 1/10 of a share of FUN, or 1/12 of GE, or 1/9 of GT or..." ;)

The Elkinds are middling- maybe not great, but not bad either. Definitely a step up from ill-fitting Craftsman brand and most likely a step (or two) up from Harbor Freight.

I've whacked on mine with a hammer to get some bolts loose, and they don't look any worse for wear. I don't do that regularly, though, so I don't want to comment on abusive use. Also, I can't compare them to Bondhus, because I've never used that brand.

Hey I bought a set of Harbor Freight once because they practically gave them to me. I dont see as how they're any less quality than a Craftsman allen wrench. Of course I've heard what some of you think of the Craftsman allens! :whistle: Maybe they'll snap like a toothpick if I really had to put the meat to 'em but they fit the Guzzi bolt heads nicely enough. I have a long one that I particularly like for removing the axles.

P.S.

The metal box they came in was practically made from tin foil lol it was so cheap.

Hey I bought a set of Harbor Freight once because they practically gave them to me.... The metal box they came in was practically made from tin foil lol it was so cheap.

You gots metal! Most HF stuff comes in cardboard so cheap that I only use the term advisedly, in that it's paper, and used the way real cardboard is used.

Wow, a metal box. Yeah, o.k., it was really thin metal, but hey, that's a step up from cheaper-than-cheap recycled-Gideon-bible-based cardboard!

I wonder if the Gideon's people know they're just supplying China, Inc. w/ paper pulp? :doh:

Metal, you say? Who'd a thunk it... :huh2:

;)

:grin:

Guest Megarad

I have to agree with ratchethack here.The Bondhus T wrenches will last you a life time.They are the best quality and you probably wont buy better.Using good hand tools makes the job so much easier.Don't skimp for the sake of $3.

Len

I have to agree with ratchethack here.The Bondhus T wrenches will last you a life time.They are the best quality and you probably wont buy better.Using good hand tools makes the job so much easier.Don't skimp for the sake of $3.

Len

Well, I followed up on Ratch's suggestion to check out the Bondhus site. Let me tell you, they do a GREAT job of selling their product! :thumbsup:

Esp. revelatory were the 27 color glossy photographs w/ pictures & arrows on the back of each one showing just how Bondhus keys compared w/ the product of the folks who invented'em [Allen] and Eklind's offerings. Allen & Eklind hex wrenches seemed pretty comparable to each other, and of course, superior to the rest of the field [as we would hope!] But the Bondhus' keys' superior strength means a LOT when talking ball-end hex wrenches, since snappin' off the little ball end is by far the most common failure mode.

And their unconditional lifetime warranty has to count for something too. I like those, even if you never can be bothered to act on it, it at least shows confidence in their product.

Anyway, Enco has a 22-pc combined metric/SAE set on sale this month for something like $14, and I'm on it. It's last year's model w/o the zippy "screw holder" end to keep from dropping the undone screws accidentally, but I find a little wad o' bubble gum will often do the same job, & what else are you gonna use it for once you've chewed all the flavor out? :grin::luigi:

As usual, the advice here in v11LM-land is more valuable than elsewhere. Thanks all!

:mg:

Guest ratchethack

Esp. revelatory were the 27 color glossy photographs w/ pictures & arrows on the back of each one showing just how Bondhus keys compared w/ the product of the folks who invented'em [Allen] and Eklind's offerings.

Yeah, but did you get to the part with the Steel Quality Judge and his seeing-eye dog? ;):lol::whistle:

Just make sure that the product code on the back isn't 'group W' and you'll be fine. I noticed that sale on Enco just this morning and would have brought it up if you hadn't.....wait...I just did.... :cheese:

FWIW, I don't have any problem with the Craftsman allen keys in terms of metal. They ARE metallic. It's the SIZES I have a problem with. They are all undersize (in my experience) and tend to round out the bolts.