Rear Disk Witness Marks

Lamedog

I recently and embarrassingly had to pull the rear disk off my '02 LeMans to remove the steel brake pad backing that had managed to sinter to the rotor. Yes, I realized to late that the infrequent low speed grinding feeling when slowing was another example of learning the hard way that rear pad life can be very short.

Anyway, I opted to to chip off the steel fragments from the stainless rotor, clean up the calipers as described elsewhere on the forum, replace the pads and put the lot back together. On reinstalling the disk I noticed Guzzi had provided yellow witness marks on the bolts fixing the rotor to the wheel. After I'd finished torquing the bolts, about half of them line up - pointing radially outward from the center axle. The other half point wherever.

I presume if the mating surfaces of wheel and disk are clean, and the bolts properly torqued, the yellow paint is no issue. Am I missing something?

I presume if the mating surfaces of wheel and disk are clean, and the bolts properly torqued, the yellow paint is no issue. Am I missing something?

No, the paint is not an issue. I believe the marks are applied to critical fasteners after they have been torqued to spec at the factory.

Thanks, I figured. For the initial install it provides a quick check to see if bolts are loosening I suppose. I engineer at a Northern California refinery and we have a (bad) habit of giving yellow paint pens to new Operators and having them mark piping as they learn the unit. Result can be lots of yellow paint that doesn't amount to much.