How to lube speedo

ALdad

Can somebody please tell me what the procedure is to disconnect and lube the speedo ,9000mi now. I am sure I can figure it out , But an experienced tutorial would save me time and a potential screw up. Thanx!! Alan

I assume you are talking about the speedo cable, and not the speedo head itself, as the head shouldn't need any lube at all. As for the cable, disconnect from the head and slide out the inner, coat with grease over whole length except for top three inches (75mm) and reinstall. Ensure there are no kinks in the cable run and that all bends take the largest radius possible. Possibly worth putting some silicon sealant in the cable boot at the gearbox end to prevent water ingress through the knurled nut.

As I'd never even thought of this could somebody enlighten me as to why you need to lube the speedo/drive/cable? I've never done this to any other bike. Thanks.

The cable is subject to wear, tear and friction, and a dry cable will tend not to revolve smoothly but will tend to snatch resulting in a speedo needle flicking all over the place.

An unlubed cable is also far more subject to corrosion which can result in the inner seizing completely to the outer and promptly breaking. I have seen an unlubed cable overheat to the point where it melted the plastic coating.