Ballabio Update

cycdude6

Guest Phil_P

My advice on relays would be to buy an extra one or two to use as spares, DO NOT USE AN OLD ONE AS A SPARE!!!When you are stuck out in the sticks, you want to be swapping for a known good one, not one that might let you down five minutes later!

I wonder what type failed in cycdude6's?

Siemens.

Is the headlight bulb on the V11's an H-4? Bike's in shop and there's nothing in the manual. I'm trying to figure out which kit to order for the Ballabio.

Thanks, John

The Eastern Beaver harness is pretty much plug and play. I say pretty much because I did have to extend 1 wire that goes to the little running lamp inside the headlight bucket. I'm happy with the result. :sun:

I bought one of the Eastern Beaver relay kits after reading earlier threads. Maybe I missed some details and bought the wrong one - the connectors don't match what I see on my LeMans headlight or harness. If I remember correctly, it was the H4 Heavy Duty Single Headlight Relay Kits ( it's at the house ).

Tom M, which kit did you use? I'm more plug and pray on this one!

Thanks.

I bought one of the Eastern Beaver relay kits after reading earlier threads. Maybe I missed some details and bought the wrong one - the connectors don't match what I see on my LeMans headlight or harness. If I remember correctly, it was the H4 Heavy Duty Single Headlight Relay Kits ( it's at the house ).

Tom M, which kit did you use? I'm more plug and pray on this one!

Thanks.

I bought the fairing mount single headlight relay kit (see below). Installation was easy except that I had to splice in a piece of wire for the little running light inside the headlight bucket. The female connector attaches to headlight, the male connector plugs into the wiring harness, and power and ground wires run back to the battery.

H4F-HD-kit.jpg

Thanks.

I believe mine's the heavy duty version of the faring mount.

I havent looked inside the bucket, thinking the connection on the outside was where the relay kit connection attached. Aha! Running light! :doh:

And I'll look again but the wiring harness connector doesn't appear to match up with the relay connector.

Most likely me making it harder than it needs to be.

Appreciate the help.

cycdude6,

Here's to hanging in there, giving the dealer a shot and using the help from the fine folks here. :thumbsup:

Most of my bike "problems" seem to be of my own doing. :huh2:

Thanks.

I believe mine's the heavy duty version of the faring mount.

I havent looked inside the bucket, thinking the connection on the outside was where the relay kit connection attached. Aha! Running light! :doh:

And I'll look again but the wiring harness connector doesn't appear to match up with the relay connector.

Most likely me making it harder than it needs to be.

Appreciate the help.

The relay harness attaches to the headlight itself, not the connector in the back of the headlight shell. Once you open the headlight shell it will become apparent.

Just an update on the Ballabio; picked up the bike from Wagner's last Wednesday, put on about 350 miles so far, no new problems, bike starting everytime. Wagner's found a loose wire at the starter. Replaced all relays with Dan's GEI replacments. Entered the bike for fun at the Larz Anderson European Fall Motorcycle Classic and met two other Ballabio owners. Great show.

Still to go; left front fork complete, ordered by Wagners. New tach also on order.

Found reversed tipover valve, reinstalled correctly in upright position, still building a vacuum in the tank. Wonder if it's ok to just remove tipover valve. Anyone removed the gas recirculating system yet (the canister in front of the rear wheel)?

Thanks everyone for all your encouragement!

John

My advice on relays would be to buy an extra one or two to use as spares, DO NOT USE AN OLD ONE AS A SPARE!!!When you are stuck out in the sticks, you want to be swapping for a known good one, not one that might let you down five minutes later!

I would agree not to use an old Siemens as a spare. In my case, they are Tyco's. When I replace these with the Omrons (provided the sample expected this week is satisfactory), I plan on keeping the old Tyco's as spares. Why? Because they are relatively new, and I know they were working when I removed them, making them "known good ones". Although generally, relays are reliable as shipped from the factory, whether they are "known good" depends on whether the factory actually tested them, and whether they have been sitting in storage under good conditions to prevent contact contamination.

Sounds like the rehab on your super model is on its way!

Definitely take your warranty period as the time to have your dealer help you sort the bike as much as possible. The issues are manageable and you'll end up with a fine and well sorted companion.

Many have removed the entire evap system with no ill effects. In fact, it saves weight (5 pounds on an early Sport) and has other good effects reported. There is debate whether to plug the manifolds with rubber nipples or use washered fasteners.

I can't imagine who any of the pirates might be that would modify their equipment in such a way (nor would I be at liberty to discuss such an operation if it were to have existed). <_>

Just an update on the Ballabio; picked up the bike from Wagner's last Wednesday, put on about 350 miles so far, no new problems, bike starting everytime. Wagner's found a loose wire at the starter. Replaced all relays with Dan's GEI replacments. Entered the bike for fun at the Larz Anderson European Fall Motorcycle Classic and met two other Ballabio owners. Great show.

Still to go; left front fork complete, ordered by Wagners. New tach also on order.

Found reversed tipover valve, reinstalled correctly in upright position, still building a vacuum in the tank. Wonder if it's ok to just remove tipover valve. Anyone removed the gas recirculating system yet (the canister in front of the rear wheel)?

John

How much vacuum are we talking about? After setting my tip over valve upright I still have slight pressure when the tank is low and outside temp is pretty warm, not really an issue. I have noticed this on just about every bike i've owned, the worst being my old Honda supersport. When the valve was sideways my tank would shrink nearly 1 1/2 in width due to the pressue. If you do remove it just don't tip it over!

Good to meet you at Marsh by the way, nice to see so many turned out.

Hal

John

It was good seeing you again at the Larz Anderson Museum John! Your Ballabio looked terrific and I'm glad you're starting to get it all sorted out. I'm sure you're going to enjoy the love affair with your Ballabio like I am with mine.

How much vacuum are we talking about? After setting my tip over valve upright I still have slight pressure when the tank is low and outside temp is pretty warm, not really an issue. I have noticed this on just about every bike i've owned, the worst being my old Honda supersport. When the valve was sideways my tank would shrink nearly 1 1/2 in width due to the pressue. If you do remove it just don't tip it over!

Good to meet you at Marsh by the way, nice to see so many turned out.

Hal

Hi Hal,

I really enjoyed the ride with yourself and our pals from Great Barrington to Marsh's. My ride home went fine, and I hope yours did too. I stopped at Cliff's in Danbury and had a nice technical chat at the Dyno Solution's setup with John Tavolacci. A great way to take a break.

My bike built up a lot of vacuum as delivered, but zero since the tipover valve orientation was corrected. I wonder if your valve isn't restricted in some way. If it is a check valve, that would explain the increase in pressure. Funny that I haven't experienced any pressure build up either before or after the fix.

The Omron relay came in today. It's made in the U.S.A., which surprised me. I was expecting Japan, where Omron is headquartered.

I was happy to see all the terminals sealed off with something that looked like epoxy, and that could well be, even though the part number was not the "dustproof" model. It worked fine when I plugged it into the starter socket. However, I've discovered another Omron part with an even higher contact rating, so I'm looking into getting that version.

Cheers, John

Hey John

It took a while to get home as I picked up a piece of steel im my rear tire about 45 minutes from home.

Of course a thunder storm happened by at the same time but some kind folks let me in out of the rain (more important the lightning) I got home eventually. I just put that tire on less than 500 miles ago! I'm picking up a Metzler Z6 this week from the shop where my son works and hope to get in on this weekend.

Hal