Charging light...

Ouiji Veck

I just had a thousand mile trip cut a little short by

the pesky charging light gremlin. Sat. was rainy and my light came on

after 50 mi. I watched it for another 50..sometimes blinking...before

I informed the group and disconnected my headlight. The gremlin persisted

for another 15 mi then went out for the next 50. I decided to cut the week end short after

watching Bert shell out nearly $500 for a throttle cable fix for his RT.

(Not field seviceable!!?? U-Haul /Shop)

Of course I didn't see the light again on my 300mi trip home with the headlight

connected. :mg:

A little history:

I've put over 30K mi on since I got her and every time I start up and roll out

I've had a charging light for the first mile or 3. then OK for the whole day. N.O.P.

This is the first time I've seen it while under way. I've tried to hunt the gremlin down every time

I've had the tank off. (A dozen?) I'm just wondering if any of youz guys might have been there /

done that before I go off into the wilderness of the wiring harness. ...again.

Does the R/R sometimes "go" slowly? (over 30K mi?)

Was she just jelous because I kept drooling over my friends new R1200R?

(110 HP 425lb camping Monster) Well I'm really drooling now....cept for the throttle cable. :D

I'm not inclined to blame the rain. The idiot light was out during the worst of it.

I hate electrical problems and really hate intermittent electrical problems.

Meanwhile.....GOoooo Red Sox!!

I just had a thousand mile trip cut a little short by

the pesky charging light gremlin. Sat. was rainy and my light came on

after 50 mi. I watched it for another 50..sometimes blinking...before

I informed the group and disconnected my headlight. The gremlin persisted

for another 15 mi then went out for the next 50. I decided to cut the week end short after

watching Bert shell out nearly $500 for a throttle cable fix for his RT.

(Not field seviceable!!?? U-Haul /Shop)

Of course I didn't see the light again on my 300mi trip home with the headlight

connected. :mg:

A little history:

I've had a charging light for the first mile or 3. then OK for the whole day. N.O.P.

This is the first time I've seen it while under way. I've tried to hunt the gremlin down every time

I've had the tank off. (A dozen?) I'm just wondering if any of youz guys might have been there /

Was she just jelous because I kept drooling over my friends new R1200R?

(110 HP 425lb camping Monster) Well I'm really drooling now....cept for the throttle cable. :D

I'm not inclined to blame the rain. The idiot light was out during the worst of it.

I hate electrical problems and really hate intermittent electrical problems.

Meanwhile.....GOoooo Red Sox!!

On mine the light wouldn't come on until the engine had been run for a few minutes and then switched off! :huh2:

Then it started to switch on and off for the first few minutes after start up, I took this as a sign of impending doom and swapped the rectifier/regulator before it had chance to let me down. :luigi:

Much better now :D

:bier:

Hoping against the regulator, try to find the two yellow bullet connectors near the back of the oil cooler on the right side. Separate, clean with contact cleaner, apply copper antiseize and seal with heatshrink.

Checking, cleaning, tightening and lubricating all the visible connections is good juju on your Guzzi. :luigi:

Hoping against the regulator, try to find the two yellow bullet connectors near the back of the oil cooler on the right side. Separate, clean with contact cleaner, apply copper antiseize and seal with heatshrink.

Checking, cleaning, tightening and lubricating all the visible connections is good juju on your Guzzi. :luigi:

Hi docc,

My practice is also to check the connectors to see whether they have relaxed and need crimping again. I have read elsewhere the suggestion to apply silicon grease to connectors. While that may prevent corrosion and moisture getting in, it is a dielectric insulator after all. Your suggestion to use copper antiseize makes more sense to me. There is also a marine grade heat shrink, which does a great job of protection, but also is more difficult to remove if necessary.

A little history:

My experience about it (since my bike had the same symtoms once),was

1. A faulty Voltage regulator, It finally caught fire in one very hot summer day and after I have replaced it there,.... perfect working.

2. A faulty chain and tensioner may also give such gremlin especially in idle..... check it out....