Champion oil filter (?)

Dimitris

I think a lot of people would be really surprised at how many big name parts suppliers are reboxed items. I only speaking from my knowlege of automotve world but i cant belive that the motorcycle world is much different. Lets face it its all about the loot no mater what it is.

There are far fewer filter manufactures than brands. I don't know who makes what for whom these days but back in the 70's there were only a few major U.S. players, Campbell filter was one of them that made many brands and the only difference was box & paint job. Many times they even use the same part numbers from brand to brand. I'd think foreign manufacturers do much of the same.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guy might think dig this. I recently attened a fed mogal clinic the instructor told us if you see hash marks on the top of the seat of of the plug. It is made by champion no matter what the plug says on it Such as ngk bosh all the big players. So next time you pull a plug out check and see. If you look at champion spark plug you will see tha hash mark I'am talking about. :wacko:

There are far fewer filter manufactures than brands. I don't know who makes what for whom these days but back in the 70's there were only a few major U.S. players, Campbell filter was one of them that made many brands and the only difference was box & paint job. Many times they even use the same part numbers from brand to brand. I'd think foreign manufacturers do much of the same.

This can be a good thing, if the "real" manufacturer turns out a quality product. Copycats often miss some of the trade secret manufacturing methods and produce an inferior product.

Even within manufacturers, the same product is sometimes sold under different lables and different prices. I know of a case where the filter sold as a motorcycle filter is priced at 3-5 times the same filter sold as an automotive filter, both under the same brand name. There is some justification for this: The additional cost of packaging for a lower volume market, market promotion, and so on. Still, instead of creating a special part number for a motorcycle application, the standard automotive part number could be printed in the catalog for that application at no additional cost. But then, someone thinks, "hey, we can get a better margin if we create a new part number and put it in a different box!"

I don't have to tell you which one I buy. :D

I just bought this oil filter for my V11 LeMans. Is there anything I should be aware of before installing it?

thank you,

Dimitris

Assuming you are not joking, read about oil filter tightening in Frequently Asked Questions.

Consider adding the hose clamp as insurance.

Assuming you are not joking, read about oil filter tightening in Frequently Asked Questions.

Consider adding the hose clamp as insurance.

Ryland, I read the article in FAQs, very useful! I intend to change the oil filter myself, which is something I will do for the first time. So, I will follow the steps of Big Daddy's pics, but before starting doing this I would like to know, where will I find this hose clump, to secure the oil filter?

Guest ratchethack
...I would like to know, where will I find this hose clump, to secure the oil filter?

Dimitris, Ryland refers to a garden-variety hose clamp, or as they are known in Old Blighty, a "jubilee clip".

Any hardware outlet should have one that'll do. :ninja:

post-1212-1192893414.jpg

thank you Ratchetack! Knowledge never stops...I will start doing some parts of the service to my bike by myself (till now I didn't do anything by myself), so as a "rookie" I will have many questions and queries...Thank you!!

• 2 months later...

Now when I think over this hoseclamp oil filter security solution again I think this could indeed be an experiment worth considering. But, I once learned this business working on MAN lorries and at the times then we used to treat most nuts and bolts with the help of steel tubes of at least 1,50 meters. Probably most of you already have got my point at once: to fix the clamp properly, what torque do you hose clamp gurus recommend? I mean, an oil filter coming loose is indeed a bad thing, so this hose clamp has a lot of responsibility to bear on its screw. A little to less torque and the clamp will slit down, a little too much and the tightening screw might jump over the punched grid fence. Can anybody of you give some good advice herefore? Any special tools or so? Is there any risk to damage the filter housing? What will happen if my dealer forgets that a safety clamp is installed? Will he screw up the whole thing if he uses a 1,50m tube to loosen the filter next time? Oh dear...

Hubert