San Diego Fires

dlaing

Not sure if I can offer much, but if anyone lives East of Interstate 15, SlowPoke? Ratchet? Anyone? and might need to evacuate over the next few days, at least I can offer a little garage space.

I am in Mira Mesa.

There are other fires raging in California.

Give a shout out if you need help.

You have got friends on the forum!

That really sucks. I can relate. Hang in there. I dread the day when our little city burns like Los Alamos.

I really hope you San Diego folks are OK. I wish I could help too.

Steve

Back in about 1970 there was another huge fire in SD County that toasted something like 300,000 acres. We were living in El Cajon at the time but still had the old ranch out in Jamul. I wanted to see if I could do anything to protect it but the fire got there before I could get anywhere near it. I was stopped at the Jamul School with a bunch of the firefighters as the fire approached. Very spooky experience and nearly got torched.

If you have never been up close to one of these monsters you cannot imagine how terrifying it is. We were lucky that day and got out without trouble. In the end, we only lost a couple of small out buildings but many of our neighbors lost everything.

Hope we don't have any cooked goose stories.

Hope we don't have any cooked goose stories.

If you have a knack for prayers, now is a time to use it.

Ratchethack and a few others are very near the paths of the fire, if not in the paths.

From what I can tell by the maps, Ratchet's house was missed by one block, saved by Espola Road.

Knowing Ratchet, he has probably taken steps to minimize risk.

Slowpoke lives further inland and easily could be at great risk.

MGDanDiego and Kurt Vogt live near me, and we should be safe unless the wind takes an unpredicted turn.

Hope you guys all make out ok. Pray for no winds and lots or rain.

Good thought, but these are Santa Anas [think "mistral" "scirocco" or maybe even "breva?"] - seasonal winds. These are adiabatic north winds: the high pressure air causing them is actually pretty cold, but it pours into the deserts north of LA & San Diego, pushing the warmer low pressure desert air ahead of it, & as the pressure rises, the temperature soars. Hot & dry, & the arsonists just love'em! That's right: some idiot arsonist probably set one or more of these things. The Cedar fire a couple years back that trapped a bunch of firefighters & roasted'em was arson.

Anyway, back on topic: there's no rain forecast for a month. I can virtually guarantee that it will rain on Veteran's Day [Armistice Day, Nov. 11], 'cause I have it off, & Nov. is when we usually get our first decent rain in So. Cal.

So pray for the one thing that is a possibility, ie: that the normally-dominant off-shore breeze regains preeminence, & the winds reverse direction. As soon as that happens, the fires will be pushed back over the ground they've already burnt & go out.

Working the old prayer mat on your behalf...

:notworthy:

So pray for the one thing that is a possibility, ie: that the normally-dominant off-shore breeze regains preeminence, & the winds reverse direction. As soon as that happens, the fires will be pushed back over the ground they've already burnt & go out.

That is what we are praying for.

The wind has been from the ENE so ideally it will switch to coming from the WSW.

Odds are it will switch more to coming from WNW, which is better than it is now, but more threatening to me :huh:

It does seem to be dying down and locally has switched to blowing from the West.

What blows my mind is that the fires can get past the 8 and 10 lane freeways.

It seems that there has to be a better way to fight the fires, but don't get me started on the politics :angry: I am certainly grateful for the sacrifices made by so many fine people, some of whom hopefully saved my Mom's house :notworthy: Otherwise she may be living with me :wacko:

It is mostly chapparal (not the motorcycle accessory warehouse )

Lots of Chamise, Sage, and Scrub Oak.

Some areas have Pine, some Cedar, some Avocado, and many of the burned areas this time are Eucalyptus.

Once the fire nears homes the fire gets a fresh choice of landscaping.

Palm trees probably aren't too bad to deal with.

Cacti and succulents should be used to surround your house as they are flame resistant and meet politically correct standards for water conservation.

But I'll bet fireman hate bushwacking through cacti :o

I suppose gravel and rock zeroscaping is the best way to go, but my feng shui garden needs life!

I've been watching the news coverage of these fires- predictably they focus on the crappy celeberaties whose houses may be affected, rather than all the thousands of ordinary people who are at risk or have lost everything.

Fingers crossed for all the forum members in California who are at risk- hope you guys are ok.

I'm doing a rain dance for you!

Here's wishing all our friends in the So Cal area aren't affected by these fires, .....l'm not making light of this but l do wish we couild send you some of our rain (we have WAY to much)...l did hear that we sent down one of the 2 remaining MARS water bombers to help fight the flames, (they are stationed a couple of hours away from where we live and l've seen them in action.......unbelievable !!)

Van

That is good news!

The house two away from my mother's is on the damaged or destroyed list.

Her's is not on the list, so that is good for her, but I am sad for the neighbor.

A nice guy with a collection of KTMs.

Guest ratchethack
Here's wishing all our friends in the So Cal area aren't affected by these fires, .....l'm not making light of this but l do wish we couild send you some of our rain (we have WAY to much)...l did hear that we sent down one of the 2 remaining MARS water bombers to help fight the flames, (they are stationed a couple of hours away from where we live and l've seen them in action.......unbelievable !!)

Van

Thanks for the thoughts and for the Martin Mars water bomber, Van.

It was another very near miss for Yours Truly. :whistle:

I was evac'd out for another 3 days, but no damage to me personally, other than loss of a few orange trees due to high wind & temps, and no power for my auto irrigation system. Many friends were spared, others were not.

Last I heard the Martin Mars sat on the tarmac ONE FULL DAY (Tuesday, IIRC) as hundreds of houses were burning to the ground, while US Customs inspected it. :homer:

post-1212-1193432339_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the thoughts and for the Martin Mars water bomber, Van.

It was another very near miss for Yours Truly. :whistle:

I was evac'd out for another 3 days, but no damage to me personally, other than loss of a few orange trees due to high wind & temps, and no power irrigation control. Many friends were spared, others were not.

Last I heard the Martin Mars sat on the tarmac ONE FULL DAY (Tuesday, IIRC) as hundreds of houses were burning to the ground, while US Customs inspected it. :homer:

I am just happy you are OK. :bier:

Steve