My first real ride impressions

FalcoLion

Finally I got all my paperwork squared away and the bike is legally registered, plated and insured. The weather on Sunday was perfect (73 F - 23C) and I figured I will take the Goose for shakedown ride. The ride was about 150-160 miles from Brooklyn, NY to Upstate (Bear mountains) and back.

Bikes sounds awesome especially with those gorgeous M4 pipes (new type - note the end cone). Compared to my Aprilia Falco (I have SL Carbons cans) I think the sound is much deeper but not as loud. Don't get me wrong my Aprilia is awesome but I like the sound that emanates from M4 as well. A little bit different. I especially like it when cursing 80-100 mph I could feel and hear a very deep baritone sounds of my exhausts. I noticed that a lot of people looked at the bike even more so then Aprilia. Riding position is way different then what I got accustomed to. I think I like it but not sure yet. The discomfort or I would say a hesitation in liking stemmed from the fact that clip-ons are narrower and passing between cars is easier with clip-ons. At least that is how I felt. Mind you it didn't stopped me from doing it. It just that I was a little extra careful. The engine seems to be able to pull from any RPM in any gear. At the speeds of 80+ mph when I would twist the throttle it felt as though bike had extra pair of lungs. Very nice. Speed wise its not a rocket but it has plenty oomph to get going. Seating position is nice but the seat seems to be somewhat wide so it creates a feeling of me sitting on the seat instead of in it. I guess I would have to get used to it. The biggest problem/disliking I found to be is at parking speeds. Bitubo damper feels as though its set for high speed only so at low speed it requires a deliberate effort to turn bars. Did anyone tried HyperPro RSC (variable rate damper) on the bike? Is there a suggested adjustment one can recommend?

All in all the ride was very nice. Shifting is butter smooth and finding neutral is not a problem. Actually shifting is so smooth that sometimes I didn't even know what gear I was in. That is never a case with my Aprilia. I always know/feel when shifts occur and finding neutral is always somewhat difficult.

The biggest surprise was a gas tank. I am actually curious if anyone actually experienced this problem. I know some of the Aprilia (not mine) experienced Gas tank expansion but I never thought it could happen to me. I filled up my tank all the way to the top. I rode for about 2 hours and on the way home pulled up to a rest area/gas station. Since there are no Gas gauges and I had to rely on my Garmin Zumo GPS for gas quantity I decided to check how much gas I got left. Remember its my first somewhat long ride so I have no clue how far can one gas tank take me. I estimated about 150 miles would be pushing. More like 140. (Just curious to hear from others). In any case as I tried to open a gas cap I felt that it somehow felt like its sucked in. Once I opened it looked like the gas tank shrunk a little. That means it was expanded. I confirmed that it actually had suction effect when I got back home. The tank was almost empty but the suction feeling was still there when I opened the gas cap but tank didn't' looked like it was expanded. By this time there was very little gas in the tank. Did anyone experienced or have any ide hwta can cause gas tank expanion?

Almost forgot to mention. I don't like the bike to be completely naked. Especially when speeds become higher I felt that I actually had to hold on tighter. I will definitely be fitting upper fairing. I actually want LeMans setup but at the very least will go for original Ballabio front fairing tucked in as Greg's did for his bike.

2004MotoGuzziBallabio002.jpg

My Aprilia Falco - I love this beauty

VladsFalco1.jpg

I have not experienced the tank suck or expansion in my gas tank. Is it possible your tip over valve is blocked or installed incorrectly? It seems that most with the dreaded tank suck have that problem.

I agree with your 140-150 mile estimate for fuel range. Unless I'm extremely conservative on my Ballabio, that is almost exactly what I get before the light comes on.

I have the HyperPro RSC steering damper and love it. Big improvement over the Bitubo. Much more adjustable and works really well soaking up bumps while cornering at a higher rate of speed. I found a very nice setting that keeps the steering very light at parking lot speeds but exceptional at speed.

I noticed that the cowling/seat cover on your bike is red. I just bought a nice used one to paint red on my Ballabio. I was thinking it would look nice breaking up the gray of the Ballabio tail and apparently was right in thinking that. It looks terrific on yours. I also have the Stucchi chin spoiler coming that I will also be painting red to match the rest of the bike.

Hi Vlad....nice looking ride. The pipes look great and I really like the red wheels. Not to forget the beautiful hugger ;) (private joke there).

Check/eliminate the tip-over valve before the suction damages your tank.

Re: Range.

Up on the slab at 80mph @ 43k RPM or so I can almost count on 200 mi.

Around town if my light comes on below 150 Mi I must have been really been

hammering it.

02 Lemans 37000 mi, PC III, Stucchi, Mistrals.

She's really losening up. Just gettin' better n better.

hey falco, you look familiar some how... :lol:

anyway I seem to have a very odd tank myself the original is at least a gallon larger and the range was about 180 everytime and with the new tank it looks and feels more narrow, its one year newer off a rosso mandello and thats it. I think my tank might have permenatly expanded but it came that way with 3800 mi, could this have happend so soon? some have speculated its the gas or additives smeone might use can damage or cause the tank to expand,

as for tank suck, or over pressurizing whichever you have these things have a very similar carbon canister emissions setup that the Aprilia do, remove that and use a section of hose and connect the TB's together, there is something else you need to do like reroute the overflow hose or something I forget I know someone will be able to help you but that should fix that, if you have actual tank suck and its not running right get some insulated fuel line, or insulate your fuel lines as they kinda wrap around and inbetween the heads and it gets kinda hot in there. I think thats it. I wonder if I send my old tank to a professional if they could tell me whats the deal with it, how it could be that far out of spec, I mean the forks hit the old tank b4 the lock and they dont with the new one. :huh:

as for tank suck, or over pressurizing whichever you have these things have a very similar carbon canister emissions setup that the Aprilia do, remove that and use a section of hose and connect the TB's together, there is something else you need to do like reroute the overflow hose or something...

Definitely something wrong with your tank

Check/eliminate the tip-over valve before the suction damages your tank.

Is it possible your tip over valve is blocked or installed incorrectly? It seems that most with the dreaded tank suck have that problem.....

I also have the Stucchi chin spoiler coming that I will also be painting red to match the rest of the bike.

Guys,

Thanks for your comments. Since I am extremely new to Guzzi world I would appreciate if anyone in the know can confirm, based on the image attached, exactly what I have to disconnect and reconnect. I need to get it done ASAP before I damage the gas tank. Also where is overflow located?

MGV11FuelSystem.jpg

WitchCityBallabio, thanks for your overview of Hyperpro RSC damper. Did you use original mounting setup? Also do you have the picture of Stucchi chin spoiler? I thought its a small belly pan that I would like to add also.

Over the winter I will get hugger painted glossy black (I think) and will add maybe a Goose decal to it. Also planning to do Jet Hot on the pipes.

Also got a question about Stucchi crossovers. Do they just offer free flow? Could some pipe benders fabricate one similar just by bending and welding a few pipes?

Falco,

I used the original location for the HyperPro steering damper, but you have to hand fit it's placement in it's bracket to ensure that it doesn't act as a stop. Not a big deal and easy to do. It'll be obvious when you install.

With regards to the Stucchi "spoiler" I probably am mis-naming it. See it here on the V11 Sport taken at this years IMOC.

2007_0909Image0019480x640.jpg

Falco,

I used the original location for the HyperPro steering damper, but you have to hand fit it's placement in it's bracket to ensure that it doesn't act as a stop. Not a big deal and easy to do. It'll be obvious when you install.

With regards to the Stucchi "spoiler" I probably am mis-naming it. See it here on the V11 Sport taken at this years IMOC.

Stucchi spoiler is called belly pan. Where did you get it and what did you pay for it (Can you PM me the cost if you don't want to share this info)?

Thanks

Vlad

Hi Vlad, nice doing business with you. The M4's came today and I put them on this evening in about 10 minutes. They do sound very throaty and muscular and the bike is running fine with no backfire on decelaration. I'm very happy with them, thanks.

Love your Ballabio, particularly the red pillion cover, that looks great.

Anyway, cya all on the road.

John

Re: Range.

Up on the slab at 80mph @ 43k RPM or so I can almost count on 200 mi.

Around town if my light comes on below 150 Mi I must have been really been

hammering it.

02 Lemans 37000 mi, PC III, Stucchi, Mistrals.

She's really losening up. Just gettin' better n better.

That's really good at 80 mph! What viscosity oil do you use? Did you remap when you went to the Stucchi and Mistrals?

Vlad that is a beautiful V11 you have. I especially like the red wheels and valve covers.

Wish I had been in town to make the Italian Bike Fest with you and the Falco guys.

Definitely something wrong with your tank

Guys,

Thanks for your comments. Since I am extremely new to Guzzi world I would appreciate if anyone in the know can confirm, based on the image attached, exactly what I have to disconnect and reconnect. I need to get it done ASAP before I damage the gas tank. Also where is overflow located?

MGV11FuelSystem.jpg

WitchCityBallabio, thanks for your overview of Hyperpro RSC damper. Did you use original mounting setup? Also do you have the picture of Stucchi chin spoiler? I thought its a small belly pan that I would like to add also.

Over the winter I will get hugger painted glossy black (I think) and will add maybe a Goose decal to it. Also planning to do Jet Hot on the pipes.

Also got a question about Stucchi crossovers. Do they just offer free flow? Could some pipe benders fabricate one similar just by bending and welding a few pipes?

a pipe welder could make you a crossover pretty easily actually, I just can't imagine it being any cheaper than the FBF one I got for $250, they might be more now but they changed them to be the same as the stucchi, ALSO for the picture just disconnect the canister and then connect the throttle bodies together with a peice of the hose you just removed and from the tank just run the section of hose down behind the engine where the overflow goes, well thats as far as I know, will want to talk to peter roper or greg field they'll have a lot better info than what I got as these steps where already done when I bought the bike.

Thanks for the compliments. OO, I was looking to meet you in person. I hope weather permiting I will be able to do another decent ride. Looks like Sunday might be pretty good. I really want to take the bike on the road but want to make sure I fix the problem with tank expansion

Hi Vlad, nice doing business with you. The M4's came today and I put them on this evening in about 10 minutes. They do sound very throaty and muscular and the bike is running fine with no backfire on decelaration. I'm very happy with them, thanks.

Love your Ballabio, particularly the red pillion cover, that looks great.

Anyway, cya all on the road.

John

John,

I knew you were going to like them. They look and feel very high quality. As you can see I got Carbon ones and in my opinion anyone that makes carbon pipes that are not glossy is cutting on quality finish. In my opinion M4 makes awesome products

Thanks

Vlad