Front wheel bearings spacer

Guest claudio

Guest claudio

Hi at all the Guzzi's fans,

this is my first topic in this forum and I want to apologize for my bad english.

I have got a first production V11 and recently I bought an Ohlins front fork as the Caf

Guest claudio

Hi Paul,

nice to meet you, you are a legend in the Guzzi's world!

I'm looking for the bearings spacer only, I have already found the other spare parts (the second spacer and the spindle original Guzzi).

This piece isn't more available in the Guzzi store and I thought that the Aprilia or Ducati could go well as the original (I think that the Aprilia and Ducati front wheel fit in the Guzzi fork).

Claudio

(I think that the Aprilia and Ducati front wheel fit in the Guzzi fork).

I suspect but can't verify that the spacer from a Ducati 748/916/996/998 would work. The width between bearings is critical, and probably is the same, but manufacturing tolerances are always at risk of preventing a match.

You could buy one, than if it is too long have it cut down by a machinist.

If it is too short it would be useless.

I think everyone on the forum that has upgraded to Ohlins has had a custom machined spacer.

The spacer should be slightly longer than the space between the bearing fully seated home.

Probably about 0.3 mm longer is about right.

It must be longer to keep the bearings from mashing down when the axle is torqued.

Also, the spacer must be strong enough not to significantly compress under the axle torque.

Hi Paul,

nice to meet you, you are a legend in the Guzzi's world!

I'm looking for the bearings spacer only, I have already found the other spare parts (the second spacer and the spindle original Guzzi).

This piece isn't more available in the Guzzi store and I thought that the Aprilia or Ducati could go well as the original (I think that the Aprilia and Ducati front wheel fit in the Guzzi fork).

Claudio

The second spacer you don

While the between-bearing spacer length is critical to short spec, I don't think that even +0.5 mm would be an issue provided that the outer race isn't pressed in past initial contact of the inner races with the spacer.... The critical issue is to avoid any lateral pre-load.

I also don't get where the material compressibility of the spacer arises as a concern. The axle-nut on many front fork axles simply locates the string of parts along the axle and requires only minimal torquing to secure this locating role. It is actually the pinch-bolts on the fork legs that locate the axle component-string between the forks and secure it there.

Claudio,

per l'asse prendi quella del Ducati 999, inclusa la rondella ed il dado.

Per il pezzo all'interno del mozzo ante, vedi se trovi un tornitore in zona. Dovresti trovare un tubo d'alluminio dove l'asse passa precisa dentro.

Poi lo accorci sul tornio in modo che passa bello preciso tra i due cuscinetti.

I cuscinetti ante devi cambiarli pure.

ciao

Guest claudio

Thanks to all,

I wanted to verify if there is a short way to resolve the problem. Probably the best choice is a custom machined bearings spacer with the original measuments.

Paul, I need the second spacer because my spindle is 20/25 mm in diameter while the Ohlins spindle is 25/30 mm (I have a V11 first production model)

However is deplorable that a spare part isn't more available for a model still for sale last year!

Bye, Claudio

While the between-bearing spacer length is critical to short spec, I don't think that even +0.5 mm would be an issue provided that the outer race isn't pressed in past initial contact of the inner races with the spacer.... The critical issue is to avoid any lateral pre-load.

I also don't get where the material compressibility of the spacer arises as a concern. The axle-nut on many front fork axles simply locates the string of parts along the axle and requires only minimal torquing to secure this locating role. It is actually the pinch-bolts on the fork legs that locate the axle component-string between the forks and secure it there.

I agree that +0.5 mm would be fine and that lateral pre-load is what you must avoid or greatly minimize.

I made my own spacer for the rear out of an unknown quality aluminum tube, it held up OK , but when I got one made of tempered alloy, I tested both on a work bench and the tempered alloy showed little compression while I was able to CRUSH the cheap aluminum with very little torque. I did not measure how much the tempered alloy compressed, but I probably got the axle bolt to turn in closer, so either the solid steel rear axle was stretching or the tempered alloy was compressing. Was this enough to create too much lateral pre-load? I don't think so. My bearings are doing fine years later...

On the front you need to torque the axle nut enough that it does not fall off. Safety wire may be a good option.