More nasty hiccups

Morris Sod

After reading the previous thread on the "nasty hiccup" I am wondering if my problem is the same or a new variation.

My 01 Rosso Mandello has developed 2 ailments of late which appear related but occur at different times.

1) Periodic lack of fuel pump connection at ignition start up. Can be any time, first in morning, or after refuelling on a ride. A few twiddles with fuses, relays and ignition switch and sidestand swittch generally gets it going again. Relays are now being replaced. I have read the thread on the GEI relays and will order a set.

2) Secondly, a hiccup at lower engine revs, ie. up to 3000rpm, whilst riding or stopped at lights a strong hiccup which sometimes stops the motor or nearly does so. It starts only after the engine is warm to hot and about 3 sec intervals until the engine gets hotter then the interval gets very much shorter. Full engine revs at highway speed over 110kph no problem, the bike pulls and and accelerates as strong as ever, only at reduced engine reves does the problem seem to occur.

I have just recently returned from a 4100km ride to Phillip Island for the GP and the 2 problems plagued me all the way, the hiccup seems to be getting worse.

I have tried; changing coils; replacing ECU; replacing relays: checking for air leaks around TBs ie. removing checking rubber for cracks and smeering a very light silcone smear around rubbers; rechecked TB sensor position on RHS and set them at 150 and 520 respectively, disconnected sidestand connection.

All above to no avail, can anyone offer any further suggestions

After reading the previous thread on the "nasty hiccup" I am wondering if my problem is the same or a new variation.

My 01 Rosso Mandello has developed 2 ailments of late which appear related but occur at different times.

1) Periodic lack of fuel pump connection at ignition start up. Can be any time, first in morning, or after refuelling on a ride. A few twiddles with fuses, relays and ignition switch and sidestand swittch generally gets it going again. Relays are now being replaced. I have read the thread on the GEI relays and will order a set.

2) Secondly, a hiccup at lower engine revs, ie. up to 3000rpm, whilst riding or stopped at lights a strong hiccup which sometimes stops the motor or nearly does so. It starts only after the engine is warm to hot and about 3 sec intervals until the engine gets hotter then the interval gets very much shorter. Full engine revs at highway speed over 110kph no problem, the bike pulls and and accelerates as strong as ever, only at reduced engine reves does the problem seem to occur.

I have just recently returned from a 4100km ride to Phillip Island for the GP and the 2 problems plagued me all the way, the hiccup seems to be getting worse.

I have tried; changing coils; replacing ECU; replacing relays: checking for air leaks around TBs ie. removing checking rubber for cracks and smeering a very light silcone smear around rubbers; rechecked TB sensor position on RHS and set them at 150 and 520 respectively, disconnected sidestand connection.

All above to no avail, can anyone offer any further suggestions

It sounds like your bike is running too lean to me. If you're sure the tps is set properly I'd make very sure the throttle bodies are balanced. Sometimes that locking nut on the balance rod can come loose after you adjust the tb's & then you have to do it all over again. Do you have pod filters or an aftermarket exhaust?

It is certainly worth new relays, especially for your first problem. The second sounds more like mine had been. While the FI and ECU relays fixed mine (for now) :rolleyes: ) you may also want to pull the tank to clean, tighten and lubricate connectors. The connectors for the side stand switch could be particularly important for that kind of hiccup. Temporarily bypassing the sidestand switch is a way of seeing if the switch itself could be the culprit (some defeat it, but I rely on mine).

A thorough contact clean of the run switch and sidestand switch is a quick and easy job . . .

Thanks guys,

Sidestand switch had been bypassed for part of the trip and made no difference.

Valve clearance was reset prior to heading off on trip with a slightly open setting, not too tight, but certainly worth a check again of course.

You don't feel that it has anything to do with fuel injection, do you?

Does the starter motor and fuel pump run off the same relay?

BTW Kevin do you live anywhere near Sedona, as I spent quite some time there and know the area albeit a few years ago.

Having had the experiences that I have had, I will have to say, swap out all your relays for some nice new shiny GEI ones from Dan the Relay Man (or alternatives of your choice). The only reason I didn't say this sooner was that you mentioned swapping relays already.

Relays will give you some really horrible symptoms, none of which might make you think 'relay'. Your relays might even look like they are working OK if you put a test meter on them, but they can still be shot. For the price of a new set, at least you can score that one of the list.

ok this is very confusing because:

a)my surname is also morris

B)i am suitably qualified to be a sod

c)i also have an 01 rosso mandello

d)i live in australia

e) i have had the same symptoms (being a sod and the hiccup)

Having said all this, i have previsouly posted a few strings onthis same topic, had tuning dramas and replaced a TPS.

Ultimately, pete roper (aka "the wizard" from motomoda) fixed it by simply tuning it right. DO NOT try to get it running right by assuming teh factory TPS settings are necassarily right. After tuning/riding/tuning/riding pete ultimately settled ona non standard setting for mine which al but eleimiated this propensity. Symptoms were identical.

Having said this, it coudl of course be relays or valves ( or temp sensor) but my ride is not perfect and is 100% stock so the fact we got it right shows it is possible. Ive spoken to many owners whos uffer the same fate and IM convinced that (for whatever reason and it may be a set of symptoms although ive heard of it on brand new and older FI bike) they are a bit prone to it. Factory settings and guzzi "service centres" almost all struggle with this issue; recently witnessed a place at mona vale struggling with the excat same issue ona 100km old bike recently on a dyno! I also seriously considered a Jerriereis myecu which by all accounts (and logically) improves things quite a lot allowing more tuning capability. Stringely, i met a fellow on the way back from Phillip Island also from Quneensland also with a rosson mandello and he had amyecu fitted with all the options; was very happy

My suggestion would be speak to pete and try adjusting the tps/tuning i reckon thatll do it.

NOw, having said all this, i will close with the fact that mine still occasionally misses, pops or stutters. But its so infrequent and predominantly when im commuting in heavy traffic and i cant help thinking we are asking too much of an air cooled 1100 to expect it to beperfect in a wide range of consitions, much as it would be nice.

good luck!

Thanks guys,

Sidestand switch had been bypassed for part of the trip and made no difference.

Valve clearance was reset prior to heading off on trip with a slightly open setting, not too tight, but certainly worth a check again of course.

You don't feel that it has anything to do with fuel injection, do you?

Does the starter motor and fuel pump run off the same relay?

BTW Kevin do you live anywhere near Sedona, as I spent quite some time there and know the area albeit a few years ago.

Hay Morris, I never thought of valves,They most probably set them to 2&4 thou like they were last time.Try them @ 6&8 or 8&10 .Com on don't be a girl.

Yeah thanks Kevin

I lived in Oak Creek Canyon for nine months, sadly without a bike, but rather with the great red shark Chevy Impala. That was in '81, so guess things would have jammed up since then. Pity it would be a horn of a bike road.

I will work through the options since reading these posts. Defintely trying a full set of GEI relays, valve clearance and TB tuning

Yeah thanks Kevin

I lived in Oak Creek Canyon for nine months, sadly without a bike, but rather with the great red shark Chevy Impala. That was in '81, so guess things would have jammed up since then. Pity it would be a horn of a bike road.

I will work through the options since reading these posts. Defintely trying a full set of GEI relays, valve clearance and TB tuning

Don't you take that bike up to v-twins.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys to all who posted a suggestion.

We have a winner, me. With great thanks to the dedicated tuning genius of one Gilmeister, commonly known as Scura or Mark gilmore of this site. :notworthy: Mark over a period of about 4 days methodically worked through the TB settings that have been posted on this site and with the help of a dial balancer has tuned out completely the hiccup that was there at low revs.

The bike still takes a couple of cranks from cold to start, but immediately settles into perfect idle, and from warm is just one stab on the button, no throttle and purrs into life, just like a beemer. :thumbsup: Oh it still runs fine at full revs.

The other problem of fuel pump intermitently cutting out seems to be tracked to a poor connection on the fuel pump relay, removed cleaned and replaced not a squeek from it since, starts up every time.

Who's a happy chappy then. :grin: