Will new dual spark heads bolt on V11?

drewscura

It may very well be cheaper to have the V11 heads machined, but I think it would be nice to have that factory reassurance. Just wondering.

Hope no one else has asked already. I hate when people do that.

I doubt it can be done easily without a whole new block (the whole motor probably). To run up the flag on something either Greg Field or Pete Roper posted last year:

"Starting with engines A11934 (Breva and Griso 850), KP15051 (Breva 1100), KS13770 (Griso 1100), KT11810 (Cal. Vintage), these bikes got the late twin-spark engine, which is based on the updates that Guzzi made in creating the Norge 1200 engine. These include a gerotor-type oil pump and wider spacing on the studs, which necessitated new piston/cylinder sets, new cylinder heads, and a whole bunch of other attendant parts."

You would also have to buy some dual-output coils. TLM has them and their part number is: 307165000010 ; Magneti Marelli coils ; they cost EUR 103 each - 5 years ago when I bought mine, probably half again as much now with the exhange rate and passage of time. I think that by the time I got mine through M.I., they were about $290 for the pair. I also spent $1610 getting my heads Mike Rich ported to Stage II spec's on my Sport 1100i along with the dual plugging. My heads were really bad though so a lot of extra (costly) work was done. I had the Ti retainers put in along with the Mike Rich super heavy duty springs, valve stem inserts etc. It can be done cheaper than what I paid, but at least you have an idea. I've only just installed my dual output coils recently and am still futzing around with the wiring so I can't really say what effect they really have. Normally, with dual plugging on these bikes, you would want to retard the ignition about 7 degrees through the mid-portion of the curve, so now you'll have to figure on modifying your ECU through programming or buying a My16M or something similar. The My16M is why I'm futzing around with my wiring. I'm adding the connector so that I can use either the stock Sport 1100i ECU or the Cliff Jeffries unit which is programmable. Performance costs. Seat of the pants dynameter comparison of my Sport 1100i before the head job and afterwards simply comes down to arm stretch when it hits 4000 rpm.

with all the hardware, the headwork and the dual sparking, that doesn't seem like a bad price at all. If i were to actually decide not to leave the engine stock that would definitely be the way to go. The new head sounds like it's not worth the trouble or even possible for that matter.

The main reason I want to dual spark is for the ferracci drop in pistons. I've notice on here that alot of people are having problems with street gas without the dual plug setup. Oh well. I guess I've got some money to spend either way.

Thanks for information

with all the hardware, the headwork and the dual sparking, that doesn't seem like a bad price at all. If i were to actually decide not to leave the engine stock that would definitely be the way to go. The new head sounds like it's not worth the trouble or even possible for that matter.

The main reason I want to dual spark is for the ferracci drop in pistons. I've notice on here that alot of people are having problems with street gas without the dual plug setup. Oh well. I guess I've got some money to spend either way.

Thanks for information

Someone mentioned somewhere that the FBF pistons hit the valves. Mike Rich also sells pistons at around $300 a pair that are computer milled. You might want to give him a call. I don't have his current info so you'll have to pulse the forum for it or perhaps someone will respond in this thread. Mike did tell me that he very carefully designed the pistons for optimum squish clearances on the Guzzi engine without requiring any modifications.

I'm going to wait for someone to wreck one of those new Griso's with the 8valve motor in it. Anyone think that would fit in a v11? I mean the whole motor, not just parts of it.

It might fit but you'll almost certainly have to switch it over to the earlier style alternator like they did on the California Vintage so that it will clear the spine.

Someone mentioned somewhere that the FBF pistons hit the valves. Mike Rich also sells pistons at around $300 a pair that are computer milled. You might want to give him a call. I don't have his current info so you'll have to pulse the forum for it or perhaps someone will respond in this thread. Mike did tell me that he very carefully designed the pistons for optimum squish clearances on the Guzzi engine without requiring any modifications.

Mike Rich just completed an engine rebuild for me after a loose oil filter failure. We used his MRM 10.25:1 pistons as well as Megacylces cam, MRM valves + valve springs, Carrillo rods, etc. I worked with Mike to determine the best approach to get better useable power without giving up any ride-ability and durability. Mike did not recommend dual plug conversion but did his Stage 1 porting. He says his pistons are designed to prevent detonation. I only have about 800 miles on the bike but am very pleased with the results thus far. He did a great job of mapping the FI as the bike runs without any glitches. I will be looking forward to seeing if there is any detonation problems next summer on a hot day (hopefully not).

Mike has moved to northern PA. His number is 570-676-4785 email: mrmsport1@earthlink.net He has been a pleasure to work with.

I used Mike Rich hi-compression piston in my '04 Lemans without any difficulties on pump gas, 91 octane. The bike had a custom mapped PC III. It ran absolutely perfect from bottom to top.

+1 on the Mike Rich Pistons. I've had them in my bike this past season and am very pleased with how it runs. Never any detonation even in 90 degree heat.

I'm considering a stage 1 porting job this winter.

It might fit but you'll almost certainly have to switch it over to the earlier style alternator like they did on the California Vintage so that it will clear the spine.

Guzzi's ad for the Vintage claims dual-spark, but the picture looks just like the old V11 motor. What's up with that?