Informing Insurance of Changes

Guest Phil_P

I realise it's not a tech topic, but I thought it is related to that field. I wondered if anyone/everyone notifies their insurance companies of changes they have made to their bikes from stock, i.e. replacement cans, pod filters, Power Commanders et al.

UK insurance usually has a clause stating you must do so, or you could be in a heap of poo if anything bad (theft, crash etc) happened. I just called up my broker the other day to tell tthem about changes on my bike. They said no increase in premium unless I was increasing horsepower with changes. As I've never known what stock power at the rear wheel was, I guessed that I probably haven't :whistle:

They did say that in the event of loss they wouldn't pay out extra for the parts, but it strikes me that a set of standard cans from Guzzi would probably cost a load more than the after market ones on my bike.

Im asking here because this sub forum has all the tinkerers and changers in it.

hi phil p

the insurance company's will do their best to wriggle out of any claim , most will insure if not performance enhancing,with baffles . can't see what all the fuss is over after all a standard r1 with standard exhaust will thrash the pants of a guzzi with race everything :notworthy: . they have insured one of my bikes , termis not allowed on the policy :bbblll: . they are on but they have no insurance :notworthy: . bikes insured but exhaust aren't ..... what a laugh eh .

My insurance company asked me if I had any accesories on my bike that I would like to insure. They asked if I had saddlebags or a windshield & such, but the gist of it was for extra $$ up front they would cover the accesories as well if I had a claim. I would imagine that if you told your agent what extras you have put on, had proof of it like a photo or physically show him/her. Then get an upfront replacement value & get a policy based on that.

Its not a good idea to hide performance modifications because it may give them cause to deny your claim, should you have one.