Tyre size - 180 or 170

slowkitty

try the search, lot written about it. But the 5.5 rim is made for 180 tyre. with 170 you get a radius in the tyre the developer didn't think of. That won't say you can like it. IF you want a quick steering bike, get pointy tyres.

Hi Paul,

I recently switched to 4.5 inch rims. What range of tire sizes are best?

Thanks,

John

4.5 = 160

5.0 = 170

5.5 = 180

6.0 = 190

Well that is what tyre designers make it for. Making different combination will give a different tyre shape as designed.

But you can argue that 0.5 inch more or less isn't that much in width.

But the v11 sport first was delivered with 170 on 4.5, and after complaints, lots of users switched to 160.

4.5 = 160

5.0 = 170

5.5 = 180

6.0 = 190

Well that is what tyre designers make it for. Making different combination will give a different tyre shape as designed.

But you can argue that 0.5 inch more or less isn't that much in width.

But the v11 sport first was delivered with 170 on 4.5, and after complaints, lots of users switched to 160.

My 2000 Ducati ST-2 had a 5.5-inch rim and came with a 170 from the factory.

On my first tire change on my 2002 Le Mans, I switched to a 170 and found the bike handled much better overall.

IMHO, the 180 ties are much better suited to 6-inch rims. Plus, if the 180 series tires can handle the output from a 1000cc four, what's the point of a 190, other than poser-factor?

Naturally, YMMV.

Ride safe, ride often, ride far and WEAR YOUR GEAR!!

-Jack

My 2000 Ducati ST-2 had a 5.5-inch rim and came with a 170 from the factory.

On my first tire change on my 2002 Le Mans, I switched to a 170 and found the bike handled much better overall.

IMHO, the 180 ties are much better suited to 6-inch rims. Plus, if the 180 series tires can handle the output from a 1000cc four, what's the point of a 190, other than poser-factor?

Naturally, YMMV.

Ride safe, ride often, ride far and WEAR YOUR GEAR!!

-Jack

When I replaced the tires on my Norton with the next size up, big mistake. Handling was a lot more sluggish. I believe part of it was the increased weight of the new tires creating more gyroscopic effect.

If 170 is good for a 5.5 inch rim, then why not 155 (25.4mm = 1 inch), if there was such a tire.

Based on what you say, it sounds like a 150 would give the best handling for the 4.5 inch rim.

When I replaced the tires on my Norton with the next size up, big mistake. Handling was a lot more sluggish. I believe part of it was the increased weight of the new tires creating more gyroscopic effect.

If 170 is good for a 5.5 inch rim, then why not 155 (25.4mm = 1 inch), if there was such a tire.

Based on what you say, it sounds like a 150 would give the best handling for the 4.5 inch rim.

Doesn't apply to the spineys, but an interesting anecdote for Tontis is that to get any of them (after the factory started fashionably "updating" the stock fitment to whatever width was then fashionable) to handle, just approximate the original tire sizes from the LMI. Of course, if the rims are wider, you can only go so small, but isn't it funny that the same is proving true for Dr. John's Guzzi lineage?

:thumbsup:

Closer in width to the front the rear = more balanced turn in. But profile design is just as important. Different tyres = different profiles. As Paul says pointy tyres = quick handling.

A 170 is stretched further over the width of a 5.5" rim than a 180, flattening it's profile = slowing it's rate of turn.

170 on a 5.5" rim will run off tread earlier than a 180 on same.

170 & 180 are both rec'd fitments for 5.5" rim, but a lot of tyres are not available in 170 size.

That's just my opinion based on my (limited) experience.

I get the feeling.... I... know this place.....have we been here before??? :unsure: .... :wacko:

KB :sun: