V11 engine and rear in a Sport 1100 frame

beyote

I have done it and it is not plug and play. The torque arm for the swingarm needs a new mount point welded to the Sport 1100 frame. That's the major difference before you can start swapping parts. You also need to put a Sport 1100 front engine cover on the V11 Sport engine as the Sport 1100 engine sits 1 cm to the right side of the bike. Other than that, there isn't any major difference that I can remember. It is rather more interesting to graft a Sport 1100 spine onto a V11 Sport which is what "FrankenSport" is (now residing in Arizona with my son). Why the special interest in the V11 Sport engine if I may ask?

And in your profile: Guzzi:96 Sport 1100 145bhp Tell me about that last number, just dreaming or?

A turbo and nitrous perhaps, otherwise a dream I would suggest.

Other than the six speed box and vented rear drive, I can't think of any other advantages.

Your Sport 1100 makes more power than my Tuono Factory. :lol::rolleyes:

maybe a VERY optimistic dyno? yeah, I bet he could smoke my RSVR with that thing :lol:

the real way to go would to get a 4v'er and mount that baby up, I've seen it done to a V11 and it looks hot.

OMG, LOL.

No, I cannot truly remember why I had 145 bhp in there. Too funny, or too ridiculous. More like 65-70 bhp. Maybe it was [(x2) and plus the day of the week] - day!

Well, I have a carburated Sport 1100. The ignintion box just went out and the dealer has stated that it will run roughly $700. (Moto International, man I love those guys) They are a very respectable Dealership and I completely trust them. Apparently, they do not have the tool to check the ignition box and are only 80% sure it is the reason the Goose is having issues.

Is 96 the only carb year?

Parts are pretty scarce on ebay, all the time.

So, I love the V11 and her derivatives, but prefer the position of the Sport 1100. If I could have the Sport's riding position, with the reliability and ease of maintenace and parts of a V11 with 6 gears, it would be golden.

Mechanically, I wonder if I should just buy a Sport 1100i and have a semi parts bike?

Honestly, the Goose was supposed to just be a ride while my Duc got fixed in the house, and then I would mod the Goose. But man am I inlove with the Goose.

145,.. LOL.

Yeah, I can pull wheelies all over the place and laugh in the face of squidly gixxers,.. not.

I think cliffs relies on having a distributor as an ignition scource the carbed sports don't have these nor does it have the cog on the cam to drive one. Odd pretty certian my local shop does have a diagnostic box but I don't think the'll loan it out halfway across the world. However the only time I have heard of them failing is after the battery was connected in reverse. Pretty reliable unit otherwise athough possibly the pickup on the flywheel or the coils hopefully moto inter have tried this. The inition is actually fairly sophisitcated it uses rpm and engine vacum to determine advance and things like Flat slides and free breathing exhaust systems do not seem to phase it as it measures how hard the engine is breathing. Carbed sports were late 1994 1995 and early 1996 surely there is a wrecked one or two around you could find..

Might you have your Dealer's contact info?

I might have to take it off the bike and send it to a shop that has the diagnostic tool.

So this problem is not common? I just hope to keep this bike and know that she is reliable.

• 2 months later...

Beyote; I can relate to your Sport 100 sentiments.

For a replacement for a Digiplex ignition system try www.ignitech.cz Their TCIP4 is fully programmable, and a fraction of the price of a Silent Hektik (which only has a choice of preset ignition curves). The four plus one tooth arrangement on the flywheel, that inputs to the Digiplex, happens to match one model R6 (I forget which year). So its not too hard to figure out the program settings. The ignitech unit could be set up to vary advance with engine vacuum, to completely preserve the original setup, as it has an input for a throttle position sensor; For the alternative, I have yet to see a TPS that readily integrated with a Dellorto carb.

When my rebuild is finished & the TCIP4 properly wired in I'll have a Digiplex available for loan / sale.

The other attraction to fitting V11 gearbox etc to a carb model Sport is to get a cush-drive. I've long learnt to ride around not having one, but its still damn hard on the gearbox. Its just physics; one day its got to tell...