what to do with the air pressure sensor?

ArtD

It's the EFI temp sensor. On the earlier FI sport bikes it's mounted up on the headstock and can read low in colder weather as it's directly in the airflow. The WM15M ECU has an onboard pressure sensor:

"ABSOLUTE PRESSURE SENSOR CIRCUIT

As previously explained, the absolute pressure sensor is

located inside the ECU; if the item Pressure on the page

displays an error, this means that there is a cut-out in the

circuit inside the ECU which goes to the sensor."

Page 234 of the workshop manual.

Have a read of this thread over on the COG before you make a decision to junk the airbox, (it's essentially the same item as the one on the V10), you might be surprised at how good the O/E 'box is with a few simple modifications. ;)

GJ

I take it you also agree with docc that the absolute pressure sensor is in the ECU?

And that the temperature sensor should also not be mounted in the windstream where it is coupled to the ambient air instead of the somewhat warmer air being drawn into the throttle bodies?

Yes, My bike is an 02 and it has an integrated pressure sensor in the ECU. (this is for altitude) I think the location of the air temp sensor is not extremely important but you don't want it to be way off either. If you mount it behind the engine (near the throttle bodies) where there is some air flow, you'll be fine. The pods are more out in the wind than the standard air box snorkels above the cylinders. On most systems, fuel control is affected more by the coolant temp, or in our case, the oil temp sensor than the air temp sensor, so placement is probably not that critical.

Ryland--Did you happen to notice all those smiley, LOL faces in my message? It was a JOKE, man! Like, HA HA, very funny, except not very funny, I suppose. Did they have jokes during WWII on military piston engined airplanes? Did Guzzis during WWII use water in the intakes for heavy throttle takeoffs? I doubt it. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, now: All of the bikes I've had either K&N pod or UNI filters on sucked water into the engine and ran poorly because of it, and got soaked with water when the bike sat out in the rain because I ain't no fair weather rider. The water probably contaminated the crankcase oil and could possibly corrode internal, untreated steel engine parts, esp. in a cold, wet climate. My pod filters became damaged from rubbing/vibration and had to be cleaned about every 6 months. I will stick with my stock airbox setup, thank you kindly. The temperature readings outside the airbox will likely be different from those inside it, as the airstream pickup w/ the stock box is just above the front of the cylinder heads, where the air will be driest and warm. Coincidence? I think not. Party on...

You got me, Kevin! I had my nerd hat on at the time. :doh:

Seriously, there's the question of cause and effect. I can imagine moisture on a filter packing up with dirt, dust, lint from the guaze, etc., creating a lot of restriction, rather than the moisture entering the intake of a running engine. A parked bike sitting under rainfall for enough time could also, I suppose a leak into the engine past the rings might cause the kind of internal damage you mention, although I haven't seen it.