I've been meaning to show this to you guys...

ArtD

Hi Mike, you could be right, no-one seems to know for sure exactly what it is. It does not seem to do anything. When I got it, the "guru" mechanic at the dealership said that he thought that it was a neutral switch, but did mention that it might be a decompression device. The thing is, its hooked up and operational, but when you pull on it while its running, nothing seems to happen. :homer:

I have had a terrible mental conflict about riding this machine. Of course, it was created to run and be ridden. But....time has changed that. What this is now is a brand new 1938 motorcycle. the old guy that I got it from rode it around the dealership twice, and someone at the factory/museum must have ridden it at least once down the parking lot and back, right? As has pointed out here, disaster could strike from an unforeseen source, and then what? :huh2:

So, what to do? Well, what I'm going to do is....ride it at least once, under controlled conditions. :race: not sure what I mean by that, but I'll figure out something.

After all, what could go wrong? :rolleyes:

If you look on the right side (rider seated looking forward) of the engine, just back from the pushrod tunnel, there is a cable termination attached to an arm and spring. I suspect this is the other end of that cable. Try it and see if it moves. It may just need slack taking up.

I say "almost" because this is _not_ a 1938 motorcycle. It has been restored at least once. It has, at least, modern tyres, paint and probably loads of other stuff. We really have no idea if this is how it looked when it came out the gates. It is a very pretty and desireable machine but it is no longer of any interest as a real historical artefact. It just looks like one. So, to my way of thinking, you should use it as it was intended.

If, however, you could prove that it had gone to that shop in Libya and never moved from there until now I would have a vastly different opinion.

from what I know its no pls but a pes or pe

E = Elastico rear suspension. S = Sport. L = Lamiera, pressed steel frame. De Egretta is the luxery successor of the PL, with chromed parts. The Ardetta is more simpel for the people, like the german Volkswagen (= peoples car).

but take a look here:

http://www.mgcn.nl/dameijer/database/ there are a lot of pictures on the pe

http://www.mgcn.nl/dameijer/html/ptypeseng.htm

but I'm no expert on these old things. Ask me anything about the spine frames, thats where I know all about

If you look on the right side (rider seated looking forward) of the engine, just back from the pushrod tunnel, there is a cable termination attached to an arm and spring. I suspect this is the other end of that cable. Try it and see if it moves. It may just need slack taking up.

I say "almost" because this is _not_ a 1938 motorcycle. It has been restored at least once. It has, at least, modern tyres, paint and probably loads of other stuff. We really have no idea if this is how it looked when it came out the gates. It is a very pretty and desirable machine but it is no longer of any interest as a real historical artefact. It just looks like one. So, to my way of thinking, you should use it as it was intended.

If, however, you could prove that it had gone to that shop in Libya and never moved from there until now I would have a vastly different opinion.

Thanks for the info on what that cable probably is. Btw, I think if you were to actually read what I posted, you would see that yes, this bike WAS in fact totally restored. By the factory. I do have some interesting documentation that pretty much confirms most everything that I was told ( and posted) about this bike. Since I have no interest in selling it, its somthing that my estate can deal with at some (hopefully) far distant future time.

from what I know its no pls but a pes or pe

E = Elastico rear suspension. S = Sport. L = Lamiera, pressed steel frame. De Egretta is the luxery successor of the PL, with chromed parts. The Ardetta is more simpel for the people, like the german Volkswagen (= peoples car).

but take a look here:

http://www.mgcn.nl/dameijer/database/ there are a lot of pictures on the pe

http://www.mgcn.nl/dameijer/html/ptypeseng.htm

but I'm no expert on these old things. Ask me anything about the spine frames, thats where I know all about

Hi Paul, Thanks for the links and info. There is not much information out there. the original paperwork that imported the bike into the US just says "250". Thats also what the "modern" title says. I know that there were different models of this machine. I think your right about it being a pes or a pe. When I went to get it I asked about a specific model, and what everyone seemed to think was that it was a 250 pls, but, at the same time, it was also mentioned that could be one of the other models. So I went with pls. I have not done that much research on the old girl,and would never profess to be any sort of an expert. For whatever its worth, I CAN tell you that everything that was chrome from the factory is here on the bike. Much of it is the original chrome. The only things that I know that is not "correct period" are the grips. Those were replaced in the late 90's because the originals dry-rotted away. I'm quite certain that virtually everything else is quite correct, and either original, or nos from when the Moto Guzzi boys restored it. Bottom line: it certainly would not be the first time that history was corrected!! :rolleyes:

Guest goffredo
For whatever its worth, I CAN tell you that everything that was chrome from the factory is here on the bike. Much of it is the original chrome. The only things that I know that is not "correct period" are the grips. Those were replaced in the late 90's because the originals dry-rotted away. I'm quite certain that virtually everything else is quite correct, and either original, or nos from when the Moto Guzzi boys restored it. Bottom line: it certainly would not be the first time that history was corrected!! :rolleyes:

Hi there, the story of this 'old lady is surely a fascinating one.

But I don't feel so certain about its originality. The bike seems quite strange to me. It is surely not a pls: just check the tubular fork and rear. So It looks like a P.E but the exhaust does not seem to match and the leg protection side panels are gone.

It has - I am sorry to say - being restored and repainted in quite a questionable way: see the poorly designed eagle on the right side of the tank...

I'll ask about this bike to Vanni and the others on Anima Guzzista, maybe they'll know more.

Rgds

G.

Thanks for the info on what that cable probably is. Btw, I think if you were to actually read what I posted, you would see that yes, this bike WAS in fact totally restored. By the factory. I do have some interesting documentation that pretty much confirms most everything that I was told ( and posted) about this bike. Since I have no interest in selling it, its somthing that my estate can deal with at some (hopefully) far distant future time.

I did read, very carefully, what you posted. For me, it doesn't matter who restored it. Once it has been restored it is not original any more. Authentic, desireable, extremely pleasurable to own, for sure. And I'm jealous as Hell of you. But it is no longer a 1938 motorcycle. I do not, however, wish to tarnish in any way your ownership of this lovely machine so I will desist from further discussion of this point in case that occurs.

The grips do grate, somewhat. There are firms in the Uk (and surely in the US) who make period style grips.

Hi there, the story of this 'old lady is surely a fascinating one.

But I don't feel so certain about its originality. The bike seems quite strange to me. It is surely not a pls: just check the tubular fork and rear. So It looks like a P.E but the exhaust does not seem to match and the leg protection side panels are gone.

It has - I am sorry to say - being restored and repainted in quite a questionable way: see the poorly designed eagle on the right side of the tank...

I'll ask about this bike to Vanni and the others on Anima Guzzista, maybe they'll know more.

Rgds

G.

Thanks for the observations. Frankly, I have yet to see a pic of any one of the bikes of this series that are not different from each other in some easy to see way. I got enough documentation to be able to feel comfortable with the fact that what I have stated about this old machine is what has happened over the past 69 years. You know what the funny thing is here that I'm observing? We all joke about what 'ol "Luig" :luigi: did or did not do in the proverbial factory to our particular bike....and this in the new century, for God's sake!!! :rolleyes: Yet, 70 years ago, "Lugi's" Grandfather and the factory had the assembly line techniques and the supply line of modern Honda???? :lol: Not to mention that 30 some odd years later it DID in fact get a total going over. At that time, the next generation of Lugi's undoubtedly used what was readily available and period correct. As I said, someday down the line my estate can deal with how original a decal is or is not :rolleyes: I've taken the first steps in getting the old girl out to some of the shows that will be coming up in 2008. That was one of the ulterior motives here :mg: