Griso 8v vs. 1200S

polebridge

I just took a look at the inside of the back cover of this month's (december?) issue of Cycle World. Moto Guzzi has put in a full page ad for the new 1200s. Wow! The bike sure looks beautiful in the ad photo.

Has anyone seen the 1200s in metal? What did you think?

I was pretty convinced that my next bike purchase would be the Griso 8V but I don't know...that 1200s looks pretty nice too.

Any thoughts out there on these two machines? (the 8V seems to be getting some good initial reviews)

Just curious.

I just took a look at the inside of the back cover of this month's (december?) issue of Cycle World. Moto Guzzi has put in a full page ad for the new 1200s. Wow! The bike sure looks beautiful in the ad photo.

I was pretty convinced that my next bike purchase would be the Griso 8V but I don't know...that 1200s looks pretty nice too.

Any thoughts out there on these two machines? (the 8V seems to be getting some good initial reviews)

Just curious.

From what I've read the 8V motor is considerably stronger than the old mill. I've got to think a sport bike fitted with it is not too far behind in development. Might be wise to wait and see...

Just curious.

I test-rode a 1200 Sport at a dealer in San Diego. I did a 'report' on "24/7V11" forum on November 4th. Check it out. The motorbike is every bit as nice looking in the 'flesh' as in photos. There were concerns having ridden the bike but I am drawn to the bike enough that I expect to have one in my possession within the next month. The 8V is certainly enticing. I understand this model will not be available in the US until next fall. Possibly is another 18+ months this is where my heart will lead but for now the 1200 Sport satisfies all my visceral needs.

I try not to think of this :lol: I just bought my 1200 sport a few weeks back. A set of Nelson-Rigg bags and I couldn't be happier. I wanted to wait to for the 8V but it jsut wasn't going to happen.

Caio

Z

Can you post some photos of your bike with the Nelson-Rigg bags? I know the bike is new for you but I am curious about specific things that you do not like, or feel will take time to adjust to. I expect to have my 1200 Sport [black] in about two weeks. I have considered the OEM hard bags but I am also looking at alternatives. Have you looked into suitable tank bags? I am looking forward to quizzing the reps for Moto Guzzi next week at the Long Beach Cycle World Show.

I rode the 1200 S and find the engine really not lacking in the power department for a two valvers. The bike is definitively more of a long distance runner compared to the Griso 8V, just the way the rider is slightly less exposed to the wind, the seat is more comfy, and more confort for the pillion too.

I think comparing the two isn't easy, but I would wait for the 8V to do its (very likely) maladies de jeunesse.

I rode the 1200 S and find the engine really not lacking in the power department for a two valvers. The bike is definitively more of a long distance runner compared to the Griso 8V, just the way the rider is slightly less exposed to the wind, the seat is more comfy, and more confort for the pillion too.

I think comparing the two isn't easy, but I would wait for the 8V to do its (very likely) maladies de jeunesse.

Wait for the 8V 1200s. I venture to say all the new guzzis will eventually have the 8V motor. And, by waiting, you give Guzzi a chance to improve the other components too (final drive, suspension, gauges, etc.).

just my 2 cents.

• 1 year later...
....but I would wait for the 8V to do its (very likely) maladies de jeunesse.

um, thanks Jihem!