V11s poor running

Guest George

Guest George

I have a year 2001 V11s that is suffering from pre ignition between 3000rpm and 4000rpm in 5 or 6 gear, below 3000rpm no problems.

TPS set to 150mv, intakes balanced. still same problem. initially the tps was set at 224mv which I thought was the problem.

Any thoughts on solutions, I don't want to take into a dealers unless I have to. :unsure:

Guest scottd132

I had similar problems, the dealer adjusted the TPS and made the mistake of not releasing the cable for the fast idle cam, thus the throttle body butterflys were not completley closed when setting the TPS. If this happens as you might guess the fuel map will not be in sync with the throttle position.

I would assume that if you are setting your own you have already checked this but heck the guys at my local dealer who are known for expert Guzzi work could not figure it out for months and just stumbled upon the problem.

Mine was so bad I could not ride in 6th on the freeway.

Dave Richardson at Moto International kept saying, don't worry Guzzi's run right we will find it. Well mine runs like a striped ass ape now and I am having a blast.

The best of luck to you.

Scott in Seattle.

That 150mv setting is only for the TPS when the linkage to the left side is disconnected (the left has the idle setting on it - you don't normally have to fiddle with the idle stop screw). If you've never changed the throttle idle stop setting, you shouldn't have to remove the linkage either, so, just set the TPS for 525mv. mphcycles.com

Guest George

I have tweaked the tps up 525mv as suggested,Took for a quick blast to test, much to the neighbours digust at this time of night. It has removed the slight hesitation off tick over. If you now accelerate from 2000rpm, drives through with no pre ignition. In the same gear from 3000rpm it will start to pink ( pre ignition ) on a 1/4 throttle. this does not seem logical.

What was your TPS with everything connected before setting it to 525mv?

The 525mv number that Carl suggests is for a bike setup with specific valve, mixture, and ide settings.

From MPH's site:

TPS 525mv

idle 1060 +/-50

CO 1.90%

air screw 1/2 Turn

MPH's site does not mention the valve settings. I would guess they are using .10/.15mm.

Increasing the TPS not only makes it run richer, but also changes the ignition timing which might increase pinging.

If your valves are set to tighter US standards, your throttle bodies will have to be more open to keep the idle up. If that is the case, the 525mv reading that you got may really be too low.

Likewise, if your valves are set to the much looser raceco standard, your throttle bodies will have to be more closed to keep the idle down. If that is the case the 525mV reading may really be too high.

And of course if you change one spec other things get thrown off.

I like my valves set to .15/.20mm, this requires a more shut throttle position, so at idle, my bike reads 260mV. But don't judge the appropriate mV by my bike as it would ping at these settings around 5000 rpm if it were not for the Power Commander.

I do however recommend the .15/.20mm settings.(not that the other settings are wrong)

Are you getting any popping or misses?

I suggest you go through a proper calibration of the TPS, by backing off the idle screws all the way. Also make sure your throttle bodies are balanced and you are using a premium fuel.

Then if required you can "tweak" the TPS.

Tip: remove the idle screw from the right hand throttle body - it is not required. Set the idle with the left hand screw once the linkage is connected. Only one screw can ever be in play when the linkage is connected. Removing the RH screw means that the TPS can be checked without touching any idle settings.

Thanks for the advice, I forgot the tappets would rquire checking first before carrying out any other adjustment, found they were a bit tight.

If I've followed this correctly the order is

set tappets

adjust tps

Balance intakes at tickover

balance intakes at 2000rpm.

running on premium unleaded, well it was running 98ron leaded to cut down on the pinking last week

I'll have a go again this weekend

If I've followed this correctly the order is

set tappets

adjust tps

That is basically the right order, but be sure to double check the balance. So the process will look more like.

set tappets then turn engine by hand and check again.

adjust tps then move throttle up and down and check again.

balance intakes at 2000rpm (I think it is best to start with the higher rpm first. I think some recommend 2500 or even 3000 rpm, but don't over heat the engine!)

Ride! :bike: