Oops! Coppa Italia Glitch!

mojohand

What happened here? Easy! She met one of those heroes that stick strictly to the manual. 15.000 miles - change motor oil. That's no choke (aaargh, joke, of course), such people are around out there. Or it was one of those who try to keep the oil level always above max. level, just for being safe.

Last idea: the jap bike in front ran out of fuel - the only bottle available was the half filled oil bottle from the jap bike in the background. Because it's so easy to fill up oil into Guzzis, they decided to empty the bottle into the V11 for having something to get fuel from the Guzzi to the first japy.

Can't see any reason why she writes she's happy not to have a Guzzi. :huh2:

Hubert

Edited by luhbo

I try to make it a point not to pay much attention to what women say unless it envolves food my dirty clothes or sex or money. I strongly suggest everyone does the same in this case. :mg:

Um, no, sorry--this woman Alexis is a rider's rider--ignore her perspicacity at your own peril! Lessee...Four Corners? check. Iron But Rally? check. Alaska & back? check. 50,000 miles a year? check.

Needless to say, she knows what she's talking about. My question simply was, is there anyone on this forum who owns the Coppa in question? Anyone know what happened?

Um, no, sorry--this woman Alexis is a rider's rider--ignore her perspicacity at your own peril! Lessee...Four Corners? check. Iron But Rally? check. Alaska & back? check. 50,000 miles a year? check.

Needless to say, she knows what she's talking about. My question simply was, is there anyone on this forum who owns the Coppa in question? Anyone know what happened?

What the hell does perspicacity mean

http://www.seizethejourney.com/blog/?p=207

I know Alexis, who writes the blog (and rides A LOT!). Any ideas what happened here?

None whatsoever. Alexis [Agirl?] doesn't give us any clues either, the entire blog entry consisting of a few pix of (apparent) friends stopped by the side of the road helping each other to top up the oil in a sparkling new-looking Coppa Italia.

New bikes use oil...

Anyone on a long road trip w/ a new bike who's got 1/2 a clue will carry some spare motor oil.

I'd sure like to know what the mileage on that Bike was reading...

Seems like they're in good spirits & having fun w/ it, which is the key.

I'm sure glad I don't just randomly bash bike brands 'cause I saw some people stopped by the side of the road once!

:rolleyes:

If you know her, how about getting her to flesh out the blog entry instead of leaving it a few non-descript pictures w/ a snide slug for textual content?

Ride on!

:bike:

What the hell does perspicacity mean

Wisdom, intelligence, mental acuity. Not "book smart" but not "street smart" either; just someone who's smarter than average & has been around the block.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently it was a faulty oil pump. Here's a snippet from an email to me:

"Faulty oil pump's don't make for happy engines. IMO, no excuse for a bike to be DOA with less than 10k miles, certainly not with a 5 digit price tag. As I stood on the side of the road with him I was once again reminded why I absolutely would not choose an exotic bike (basically a non-Jap) for distance riding. Being stuck on a disabled bike in nowhereville w/no dealer/parts support even remotely close (er, next state) is something I'll pass on. I've been in a major city w/a friend who had a flat tire on a V11 and the local Jap shops would/could change the tire even though they had a replacement in stock. I've been all over the US w/a BMW friend and we re-routed several time hundreds of miles to the "nearest" BMW shop even while we were in very populated places so that an issue he was having could be addressed (on a "new" bike to boot--eek). I'm by no means a brand blind rider (heck for me it really is about the journey and I really couldn't give a hoot about the bike!), but as far as my distance rides go, I'm very partial to bikes that don't leave me stranded, that have support "near" wherever I may go w/parts not on backorder, and that can roll high miles w/out major maintenance or catastrophes. Such terms tends to narrow down the choices considerably, huh?"

to each his own. I do know that she seriously considered a Norge, but opted for the FJR1300 because she's an admitted high miler but poor wrench. Eh...so it goes.

Whats the chances its a spun oil filter rather than a pump. They then topped it up to make the preasure light go out. Never carry oil on long trips there is usally plenty at the local servo if you get that stuck but for a Guzzi to have serious preasure problem because of low oil you would be down to the last litre of three. Two litres worth of oil leak is fairly easy to spot.