Motorcycle transport...

Fred C. Dobbs

Not really a Moto Guzzi specific question--although the bike I will be transporting is a Guzzi--but has anyone out there hauled a bike in an open pick-up bed with the bike under a close-fitting bike cover? I need to bring my bike up the coast from Southern California to Washington State and, along the way, will surely encounter snow, slop, and deicer in abudance--hence my desire to cover the bike. But I am afraid the bike cover might flap (no matter how tight fitting it is) in the wind excessivily, tearing itself apart or damaging the bike's finish. Anyone have experience with this sort of set up? Thanks

I was thinking a roll or two of "saran wrap" all around the bike :huh2: Would't tend to flap if tight, and the finishing wrap goes from the rear to front with some overlap. Costs all of a few bucks, and you just cut it off when done... :grin:, Welcome to the forum, Good Luck, S.H.

I would think that more damage could be done with the cover chafing the paint etc. The bike is somewhat protected by the cab and really they were made to be out in all kinds of weather. A simple cleaning may be required when you arrive but you may be surprised how clean it would stay...or maybe not.... :unsure:

Your local vinyl graphics store should be able to supply you with some fairly thick, mild adhesion vinyl to apply to strategic body panels.

Or Mr. Savage's advice sounds practical.

As does lavrgs.

I'm not usually so adament.

I agree with lavrgs. I think the likely hood of damaging the paint with a tarp is pretty good. Padding contact points like Jaap says is a good idea but once the tarp starts flapping you don't know where the contact points will be. Perhaps it is better to just to leave the bike in the open and wash it as soon as you get to your destination. Better to let it get dirty than have paint damage. I've moved bikes in the winter before, the only real threat is road salt. If washed off quickly, all is OK. A close fitting cover like you suggested may be good but may interfere with tie downs. :huh2:

I recently hauled a racecar ( A silver crown dirt car) from Minn to WA state on an open trailer. Like you, I wanted it protected from the elements. But I did not want the body and paint to chafe. I decided to use a large blue tarp, the sort that one can buy at home depot, with moving blankets underneath it all wrapped tightly. The moving blankets are soft and well made. What I did was take a couple of the blankets and wrapped them tightly around the car, and used about a roll of racer tape to hold them in place. Then, I wrapped the blue tarp around everything , and secured it in place the same way. It looked weird, but it worked like a charm. Everything held up real well. The blue tarp started to fray a bit a few hundred miles from home, but the car got here in perfect shape, and I drove thru a couple of torrential downpours as well as going 90+ across Montana. You have less distance, and much more wind protection with the cab and bed, if you use somthing like this, you should be fine.