Newbie TPS Questions

cycdude6

I have done the long draw out base tps adjustment on my 2000 V11 Sport, with the Raceco valve lash specs the idle speed needed to be turned down. Thus changing the tps voltage which was a low 270mv. I was using a Powercommander and all of the maps I had tried did not work well with this bike. I finally came up with a map that worked well and then after going to Todd Eagans Powercommander seminar at a Guzzi rally, I realized that the maps I was getting were based on the 500mv tps setting. The real moral to the story is, if your bike runs good, don't mess with it. My 03 Rosso runs great with a tps voltage of 466mv. and I would not change it.

I agree that a warm engine is not needed, I was only suggesting that so the fast idle lever would be fully off.

Mike

I adjusted my TPS deliberately low as well, but only after getting the baseline 150 mv right. The lower idle TPS gives slightly better fuel economy with standard mapping.

Agreed on the fast idle lever, but its cable must be checked to make sure it does not interfere with the TPS and synch adjustments when off. In the procedure, only the left idle screw is involved in the setup. The right one is backed off to eliminate backlash in the connecting rod linkage. If the fast idle cable is too tight, and prevents the right throttle from being controlled by the connecting rod, backlash can cause the throttles to be out of synch at idle. Also, as the throttle is cracked, the left throttle will begin opening first, before the right.