oil filters for V11

Guest bikerjohn

Guest bikerjohn

Hi Guys

Having difficulty getting hold of oil filters for my V11 Le Mans - just wondered if anyone knows of the equivalents (bikes or cars)

By the way - many thanks to those of you who answered my earlier query on irregular runnning. Great to know that I'm not alone on this

John

:helmet:

The filter is of crucial importance for any engine especially Guzzi; capacity, size, proper valving. Also it is one of the least expensive maintenance items and saving few pennies on it is false economy, very false in my mind.

I bought the whole batch of stock filters from my dealer, spent a hundred and some dollars and got peace of mind for some years in that respect. I would advice you to do the same. If the dealer is not convenient many of mail order places carry them of course.

that is a link to a fuel filter thread, not oil filter.

Fram PH3614 will fit but construction is questioable, so I would not use it.

WallMart sells the SuperTech ST3614 for around $2 (vs $15 for the Guzzi filter). This filter is made by Champion labs, is better constructed than a Fram, and has a 94% multiple pass efficiency rating. Just be sure to remove the decal on the filter before you install it.

(Tip from Tracy Martin, off of the Wildguzzi.com site)

Not sure where he got the information from, but I bought one and it looked well built. And the seal lined up perfectly which is the most critical issue when using off brand filters..

Also the Amsoil SMF125 is supposed to work and is likely of equal or better quality to the OE filter.

(vs $15 for the Guzzi filter).

!@#$ing what you pay how much? Is that USD? I pay $15 Aust dollars for the geniune FIM thing. Suggest you give an independant supplier a ring such as TLM Harpers Stien dinise or whoever is relevant to your area. Athough given the chioce I'd pay the extra to fit the FIM one. Seen the results of a after market filter seal blowing on a RS Daytona they guy ethier didn't have his oil preasure switch connected or it wasn't working. It cost him a lot more than the couple of bucks he may have saved on the filter.

(vs $15 for the Guzzi filter).

!@#$ing what you pay how much? Is that USD? I pay $15 Aust dollars for the geniune FIM thing. Suggest you give an independant supplier a ring such as TLM Harpers Stien dinise or whoever is relevant to your area.

What?!? and pay for shipping! I have better things to pay for. :drink:

Here is an article that convinced me that the Walmart filter is fine.

http://www.micapeak.com/bike/ST1300/Filters.html

There are other articles out there that say they are no good and that Fram are best. So go figure.

It is your choice. Unless someone proves to me that the SuperTech suck, I am sold that they are equal or better.

$10 saved every 6000 miles, after 60,000 miles thats $100!

For what it's worth, the Mobil 1 M1-102 filter fits any V11 engine. The M1-103 is a shorter filter that will fit older Guzzi engines. I've been using Molil filters for the last 7 years and am happy with the performance. Not much cheaper ($10) than the stock Guzzi element but available locally.