MOTO-GP Laguna Seca.

ALdad

I am planning to go to the Moto-Gp in july. I plan to make BigSur friday. Continue on to the event Sat. morning. I want to take Sun. and Mon. to ride home to orange county CA. Any suggestions for a fun route home Cheer! Alan

If you like a full day of twisties...

Carmel Valley Road into Greenfield cross 101 and end up on Metz Rd. Go South into King City. Get Gas unless you can go another 70 miles or so.

Pick up LoneOak Rd and go east. It will dead end at Hwy 25. Turn South and continue till it ends at 198.

Across 198 is Peachtree Rd, a fabulous 1-2 laner that will take you south to San Miguel. Pick up River Rd which parralels 101. This will take you into Paso Robles.

Pick up Creston Rd and head east again. Get Gas before you leave town.

Stay on Creston until you reach Hwy 58 and then go east. This will start out as a loooooong straight followed by some fantastic twisties. Eventually you'll get to Hwy 33. Go south all the way and go over the mountains into Ojai.

Once in Ojai, find you're way to one of the roads to get down to PCH. Malibu Canyon or another. Take PCH till wherever.

I did something similar in the opposite direction. It's a great day of riding with zero freeway and many of these roads will be deserted. The only problem is in the summer, it can get damn hot in these inland areas. Carry lots of water.

If you like a full day of twisties...

Carmel Valley Road into Greenfield cross 101 and end up on Metz Rd. Go South into King City. Get Gas unless you can go another 70 miles or so.

Pick up LoneOak Rd and go east. It will dead end at Hwy 25. Turn South and continue till it ends at 198.

Across 198 is Peachtree Rd, a fabulous 1-2 laner that will take you south to San Miguel. Pick up River Rd which parralels 101. This will take you into Paso Robles.

Pick up Creston Rd and head east again. Get Gas before you leave town.

Stay on Creston until you reach Hwy 58 and then go east. This will start out as a loooooong straight followed by some fantastic twisties. Eventually you'll get to Hwy 33. Go south all the way and go over the mountains into Ojai.

Once in Ojai, find you're way to one of the roads to get down to PCH. Malibu Canyon or another. Take PCH till wherever.

I did something similar in the opposite direction. It's a great day of riding with zero freeway and many of these roads will be deserted. The only problem is in the summer, it can get damn hot in these inland areas. Carry lots of water.

Thanx Mark. This sounds great. How many hours do you figure on this route from carmel to Malibu?

Time will be heavily dependent on how fast you want to go and if you plan to stop for anything other than gas. I tend to ride at a brisk pace, but stop for pictures occasionally. I think when I did it, I left Artesia (near 605&910) around 9AM and got to Hollister around 4 but that was a little different than going to Carmel.

I figure it's an hour and a half from Carmel to Greenfield but perhaps will be closer to two with all the race traffic. There will probably be other bikes headed to Carmel Valley Rd since it is a pretty well known ride. From Greenfield to San Miguel, perhaps another hour. Then maybe another hour to 33 and probably 2 from there to Ojai. Depending on which way you go, I'd estimate another hour over to Malibu.

So that makes 7. With 2-3 gas stops, you'll be hard pressed to do it in much less unless and my reccomendation would be to allow for more if you can spare it.

You can also cut some time by substituting a little freeway for some of the backroads. In King City or San Miguel, you can jump on 101 and then get off in Paso Robles to pick up Creston Rd. Look at it on a map and see how it works out.

It'll be a fun trip for sure.