Water cooled big bore kit

Last May I wrote them and they responded

yes,on your V11 you can have an engine with over 140 hp!

if you have a good mechanic we can send you the parts.

it goes from 5.000 to 8.000 euro depends on how many titanium internal

parts.

Yes you could have a used V-Rod for that price, or you could buy a Ducati 1098 and have a much lighter bike, but neither would be a Guzzi.

At the moment, I can't think of a bike on Earth that I would rather have than a Big Bore Guzzi with Ohlins forks and other fine bits.

After the initial big bore was created by mr merani's company, he contacted Guareschi. Guareschi thought it would be nice to race with that, and changed almost all. So he got the engine that was used in daytona to blast away the other bikes. The engine was raced in the italian supertwin series. There was another mgs01 active. The one from millepercento. They did see the potential of the bigbore too, and made a deal with mr merani to be the distributors for the kit. And last Eicma they presented a griso with that kit, to buy for only 29000 euros.....

What sort of bigbore you get from them, I don't know, not the one Guareschi races with, but thats to extreme for road use.

But try millepercento with a mail to ask for a kit.

When I was at the Guareschi shop last summer, they told me that then it was to premature to make a kit available. Next year they told me. Well it's next year, so maybe they can sell you a kit too.

I can't see prices anywhere though...or is it a case of; if you have to ask, you can't afford?

Affordability is matter of one's personal finance.

It will cost you about as much as trading in your Guzzi for a Ducati 1098 or BMW R1200S.

For me the Big Bore would be the better ride.

5000 to 8000 Euro is a broad price range.

I am sure if you email them or email who Paul suggested, they will happily give you a price breakdown.

One consideration is durability.

An added cost may be increased wear of the driveline.

After the initial big bore was created by mr merani's company, he contacted Guareschi. Guareschi thought it would be nice to race with that, ...

There was another mgs01 active. The one from millepercento. They did see the potential of the bigbore too, ...

I could see this upgrade becoming popular ...

popular enough that MG would bring it in-house like they did with the Ghezzi-Brian MGS ...

where it would languish ...

and die ...

like the MGS.

Here's hoping MG keeps their incompetent hands off it.

Guest mountainmotor

Very cool and exotic , to an extent .

I am in agreement with dlaing in that this is the type power I want for myself this day in time but I do think that maybe the new 4 valve per cylinder engine might just be the one to develope for those that takes road trips using pump gas .

The extra oil pump in the new Griso8 engine could be used for the making of an advanced air/oil cooled engine of some powerfull might and air/oil cooling is very effective .

Anyone know a prospective buyer for a 2008 Griso rolling chassis ?

Fun to dream about it and costs oh so little this way . :D

• 2 years later...

I actually got in touch with Millepercento and got the pricing. I think its pretty steep considering as of now its only produces 135 hp. Price is $10000 plus you need to ship your engine over to them. So with shipping back and forth it becomes extremely cost prohibitive.

Millepercento engine is enlarged to 1420 cc. So, if one can get Big Bore to around 1200-1300cc and get the power up to around 110 hp for a relative bargain that would be awesome.

By the way anyone know of any other way to coax more RELIABLE power out of our engines? Maybe some kind of big bore and converting to twin sparks (if that makes any difference).

By the way anyone know of any other way to coax more RELIABLE power out of our engines? Maybe some kind of big bore and converting to twin sparks (if that makes any difference).

Sure, more valve area = better breathing at high rpm. Shorter stroke means higher rpm before piston speed becomes an issue. OHC = less valve train wt., allowing a higher rpm before valve float sets in. All kinds of ways to get reliable power. How fast do you want to spend? :grin:

The reality is this: our V11s are built on cases that were designed 45 years ago for a motor w/ 2/3 the displacement of ours. The bore is case limited: Guzzi has blown out the bore as big as they could (92mm?) w/o running into reliability issues. Thus the new case designs for the latest 2v and 4v motors, to allow for bigger bores in the future. The stroke has been stretched as long as it can w/o sacrificing the red line: Carillo rods, cro-mo push rods & other esoterica will allow one to run right up to redline w/ impunity; the barrier here then becomes the EFI, w/ its built-in rev limiter. But ultimately, the only way to make increased power past 7k rpm is more valve area, ie: 4v heads. [Yamaha tried 5v & up, but the hard fact is that packing & engineering issues leave us w/ 4v as a current optimum.] They've known for more than 50 years that more valve = more power at higher rpm, but since 2v motors worked as well as 4v motors down below 6k rpm, and motors didn't turn that fast anyway, there was no need to develop them. In the past 20 years, redlines have crept up & up in the search for more power [hp = torque x rpm], and motors have gradually migrated to 4v configurations, leaving Guzzi more or less behind. Hence the Hi Cam of the 90s and the QV motor of the present day: Guzzi has to keep up or die! But there's still a lot of good riding to be had w/ the old 2v donk, you just have to reconcile yourself to playing a different game [like H-D, who only quote torque figures in their sales literature, & never mention that power bands are narrow due to low redlines. ;)]

Dual plug heads are a band-aid; completely revamped 2v heads a la' the bathtub combustion chamber in a H-D big twin are the way ahead, but I doubt Piaggio is going to bother going down that road: they'll just eventually eliminate the 2v motor from the lineup & soldier on w/ the new QV engine...

:nerd::luigi::oldgit: