Non-Starting Le Mans

Dr Gil

Thanks Guys!

I had the unique opportunity to spend the last few days staying with Chris Galardi near Daytona Beach for the past few days. One of my "roomies" was Ace Malott the legendary mechanic for Jackson Cycles in Jackson, Missouri. Of course I told him about my recent trials and tribulations.

There is little doubt in his mind that my problems (both my current non-starting problem and my recent electrical draining problems) are actually all the same problem and it is the relays. He feels even if the relays are good (recently replaced doesn't mean they are still functioning properly) that when pushing the relay in he has seen time and again where that pushes the wires on the backside away...it's a Guzzi thing. He suggests holding the wires on the backs of the relay in place while re-inserting the relay. Back up thought was that the wire to the regulator is extremely fragile on my bike and if the new relay's/new install technique doesn't work then check out the wire to the regulator. This is both an easy fix and possibly fixes multiple recent problems with the bike.

I'm just back from Daytona (WOW!) and won't get to the bike probably for the next couple of days but will keep everyone informed on my progress.

Making sure the wires don't get pushed of range in the relay sockets is a good idea.

I don't think it is a Guzzi thing....maybe an Italian motor vehicle thing???????? Does Marelli make the sockets?

The regulator wire on my Guzzi failed, but the result was undercharging, weak battery, and starter turning too slowly.

It did not result in symptoms like yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.

After having the Le Mans apart for a couple of weeks rolleyes.gif I finally got it back together today. I installed the all new GEI relays that were recommended to me and fired her up. No immediate problems. :thumbsup:

I've started it about 10 times with no glitches. I rode it around our bay (20 miles), no problems. Other problems that I have been experiencing (stutter in one cylinder @ constant 4K rpm, sudden electrical loss draining battery leaving me high and dry), gone (at least for now).

I'm hoping this one, simple fix may have taken care of all the electronic gremlins I've been experiencing over the last year.

On my "concerns" list is that I replaced all my relays less than 2 years ago with the same GEI relays and that one (or more) of them has failed. They're not supposed to do that. I'm still somewhat concerned about the reliability of my bike but will happily proceed with my testing (read as "riding"). :mg:

That's about how long my GEI relays lasted. The Bosch did better for me.

I'm using the Omron now and confident in Ryland's research that they will be reliable. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...
Could be bad coil, or electrical connections, or bad engine position sensor, or bad spark plugs, or ???.

If you have a timing light you can hook it up and see if you are getting spark consistently.

But I do think fueling issues seems more likely.

I can tell you what it is having f*cked about for 6 hours today with the same problem. Symptoms like these? Relays OK, fuses OK, engine turns over, relays click, but no fuel pump noise? It's the relay feed to the ECU relay block. Remove the block with the ECU relay, and look for the green/white wire. Check for 12v when ignition switched on, with DVM connected to ECU as earth and probe in the green/white wire. If you don't see 12v try taking a lead from +ve on the battery direct to this socket, just bang the relay in over the loose wire as a tenmporary check. When you turn ignition in, fuel pump will fire and engine will start. The other clue to this problem is no spark, as the ECU is not being fed with power.

Hope this helps

Jon