Oil smoke and oil leaks

Guest in the shed

Guest in the shed

Evenin' all, hope I havent messed up any threads here but I hoping some one may be able to help me.

I have a spada that has over the last few years been spread across two counties due to house moves etc etc. I rebuilt the top end a couple of years ago and since then it has sat doing nothing. recently I managed to get it all together (including the wiring which ALL the previous owners had added to using a code that would have bewildered an enigma operator) I got it MOT'd and have run it on and off for a couple of weeks now, just short runs to see what would fail or fall off.

I found it wasn't charging and whilst looking into this I fired it up and stuffed a multi meter up the connector block that goes into the rectifier, whilst checking this out I noticed that the street had dissapeared and the fog that had enveloped it was being produced by the spada. My question is this.. is it likely that after a two year wait the valve stem oil seals have got fed up and perished or is it likely to be more expensive and time consuming?

I'm thinking it's possibly the oil seals as the motor is running quite nicely and was pulling me along the A14 at quite respectable sppeeds the other day with no problem

Also I have re- developed a leak from between the gear box and the back of the engine is this likely to be the rear crank seal?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to get the Guzzi re aquainted with the tarmac :bike: any help would be greatly appreciated

Guest ratchethack

It was somewhat surprising for me to learn this myself nearly a year after I'd purchased my Guzzi, but the valve guides don't have oil seals. Ya gotta love that 50-year-old technology. ;) -- Not that there's anything WRONG with that! :lol:

If the sudden profuse oil burning is a development "clear out o' the blue" (as it would appear from your post), I'd check the easy stuff first, such as an over-filled sump, which would blow oil thru the condensor and into the intake (assuming the stock airbox is intact), then consider such things as broken compression rings (compression leak-down test), and/or a broken oil control ring.

I'm not familiar with the Tonti bikes, but as far as I know, the Spada, being circa 1992-ish (?), most of what you're talking about here is very much the same (or practically identical) between Tonti and Spine.

As far as the apparent leak between back of the motor and gearbox, I'd again check the easy stuff first. If the crankcase breather hose has begun to let go, oil can leak down to the area you describe (been there, done that ;) ). :helmet: