Sport 1100 front suspension settings

JFK

I have just bought a 1996 Sport 1100, with the WP suspension front and rear. The previous owner had things set up, let's say idiosyncratically!

My workshop manual tells me the stock rear settings (tick) but not the front compression and rebound damping (hmm).

There is about 4 complete turns in each screw and for now I've just set them toward the middle, but could someone help me out with the actual stock settings?

Any assistance much appreciated

JFK

I don't know the stock settings, but I know I'm happy with 14 'clicks' in from fully out, both sides. 8 clicks is one full turn so that is more or less in the middle (but I have experimented a fair amount with it, starting from lower). I'm lightweight, just under 70 kg with no gear. I have ran into really nasty bumps in high speed turns without it letting me down.

Until you get the feel for everything, experiment with it but keep them at equal setting. I once had them at 8 clicks, but accidently counted them from the other direction on one side (so it was more like 20 clicks on that side). That really screwed up handling, I got slow oscillation in curves which was pretty scary.

Oh, and congrats, you have got yourself a wonderful bike!

I'd like to put my 2000 V11 Sport back to standard settings as a starting point. I'm a bit of a pie eater (100kg) so if anybody's got any advice on the best settings to begin with, I'd appreciate it.

I'd like to put my 2000 V11 Sport back to standard settings as a starting point. I'm a bit of a pie eater (100kg) so if anybody's got any advice on the best settings to begin with, I'd appreciate it.

Most V11 owners will skip this thread based on the subject line and unfortunately I can't help you out. Maybe you'll get an answer if you repost in a new thread.

Your WHB can be found at http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/mg_...11_en_de_ne.pdf but it doesn't tell. You should download that anyway if you don't already have it!

I have just bought a 1996 Sport 1100, with the WP suspension front and rear. The previous owner had things set up, let's say idiosyncratically!

My workshop manual tells me the stock rear settings (tick) but not the front compression and rebound damping (hmm).

There is about 4 complete turns in each screw and for now I've just set them toward the middle, but could someone help me out with the actual stock settings?

JFK

A 1996 carbureted Sport 1100 should have a Marzocchi M1R front fork and White Power rear shock.

The fuel injected Sport 1100i came with an inverted White Power front fork.

Which do you have?

JFK

I'm fairly new too and have no competence on this subject, but I remember that in a recent post, Pete Roper, countryman of yours and V11 and Guzzi respected whiz, was setting straight those who sweat the little things instead of fine-tuning their suspension. Also I know that Guzzi expert Greg Field, also here on this forum, is also very particular about suspension setup. Maybe either could help? Also do a search on this forum. Welcome to the crowd.

A 1996 carbureted Sport 1100 should have a Marzocchi M1R front fork and White Power rear shock.

The fuel injected Sport 1100i came with an inverted White Power front fork.

Which do you have?

I have a 1996, but it is injected and WP both ends (must have been an early one).

I'm fairly new too and have no competence on this subject, but I remember that in a recent post, Pete Roper, countryman of yours and V11 and Guzzi respected whiz, was setting straight those who sweat the little things instead of fine-tuning their suspension. Also I know that Guzzi expert Greg Field, also here on this forum, is also very particular about suspension setup. Maybe either could help? Also do a search on this forum. Welcome to the crowd.

Its a good point about not sweating the little things - I'm just looking to reset it back to stock and leave it at that for now.

Thanks for the welcome and no doubt will make my introductions to Messrs Roper and Field in due course...

JFK

I don't know the stock settings, but I know I'm happy with 14 'clicks' in from fully out, both sides. 8 clicks is one full turn so that is more or less in the middle (but I have experimented a fair amount with it, starting from lower). I'm lightweight, just under 70 kg with no gear. I have ran into really nasty bumps in high speed turns without it letting me down.

Until you get the feel for everything, experiment with it but keep them at equal setting. I once had them at 8 clicks, but accidently counted them from the other direction on one side (so it was more like 20 clicks on that side). That really screwed up handling, I got slow oscillation in curves which was pretty scary.

Oh, and congrats, you have got yourself a wonderful bike!

Thanks Raz, I could (and may yet) write a very long post about how long I have waited for it!

Its a good point about not sweating the little things - I'm just looking to reset it back to stock and leave it at that for now.

Thanks for the welcome and no doubt will make my introductions to Messrs Roper and Field in due course...

JFK

If you want to reset it back to stock (which afaik is a good point to start fiddling with it) and you're not sure what "stock" or "factory" is, there may be info in the owner's and shop manuals. If you don't have either, both are probably online in more than one place.

• 2 years later...

As a new V11 owner trying to set the bike up I'm getting very confused over where I should be starting from.

I wish there was a clear factory setting somewhere for the front and rear.

As a new V11 owner trying to set the bike up I'm getting very confused over where I should be starting from.

I wish there was a clear factory setting somewhere for the front and rear.

Look up setting your static sags (be on the web somewhere) without your springs right there is pretty much no hope of getting the damping settings right. After your static sags are set then is normal to start somewhere in the middle with rebound set a little harder (say 2 clicks) than compression. But as others have said there are no such thing as "factory settings".